Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
English is easy......... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you UP for the challenge?
  You are so lame...-.-
View Results

Mia Eidenschink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:16 am
My teacher gave me a paper, and it had some interesing stuff on it. I"ll type it for you folks.

English is easy...

So a 2 letter word has a hundred completely different meanings.

So what is this stuff about English being easy?

There is a two-lettered word that perhaps has more meaning than any other two-letter word, and that is "UP".

It's easy to understand UP, meaning towards the sky or at the top of the list, but when we waken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP and why are officeres UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?

We call UP our friends and we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guy fixies UP the old car.

At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, wor UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing:

A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!

To be knowledgeable of the proper uses of UP, look UP the word in the dictonary. In a desk size dictonarythe word UP, takes UP almost 1/4th the page and definitions add UP to about thirty.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP.

WHen it rains, it wets UP the earth. When it doesn't rain for a while, things dry UP.

ONe could go on and on, but I"ll wriap it UP for now my time is UP, so....I'll shut UP!

-Enjoy-  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:52 pm
That's an interesting paper. I like English, but if you think about it, Spanish is actually a lot easier to understand, and the grammar is logical. 3nodding  

crazymugglegirl

Chatty Shopper

11,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100

drwoot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:11 pm
I'll stick with my english. I failed French. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:49 pm
English is by no means an easy language to learn. It is however one of the best at describing abstract concepts because of its versatility and flexibility.  

ZigguratII

Mia Eidenschink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:57 pm
I took German for 3 years, (did not learn a thing) and Spanish for two. The think I did the best as was grammar! ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:11 am
ZigguratII
English is by no means an easy language to learn. It is however one of the best at describing abstract concepts because of its versatility and flexibility.
It's actually one of the easiest languages I've ever run into.
The grammar couldn't get much simpler than it already is. Sure, some people would mess up the spelling, but generally, I don't see a reason why they should. I became quite fluent in English very quickly, and I wasn't even that young when I started taking it.
For some reason all English speakers seem to believe it's the most difficult language to learn... You should try German or Arabic for example, those are much, much more difficult.  

Fatal Hilarity

Embodiment Of The Living

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:57 am
One time, a friend has used a word so mant time sthat he almost forgot the meaning...
Hm...Very intruiging indeed.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:18 pm
English is crazy! xp  

Litia_Echo

Mia Eidenschink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:44 pm
Forgot the meaning? hehe That happens, especially with the word "uber" it actually means "very" in German.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:22 pm
Wow. How about "go"? biggrin  

Zealot of Insanity

Katleene-chan

6,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:12 am
Even though I speak English as my native language it is still hard because so many multiple meaning of so many words.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:14 am
Aw man that's so cool! I'll never see "UP" the same way again...  

ilovemaryjayne

Jewlz2007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:34 pm
That is interesting.

The English language is rated as ONE of the hardest to learn languages, but most definitely not in the top spots. There are also many easier languages to learn. When you think of all the different ways we can use our words and arrange our sentences, it gets pretty complicated.

I am going on my third year of Spanish now, and it is pretty easy, considering I understand it better than my English class. That is until they use the words of parts of speech that I don't know. The way their sentences are built makes more sense to me sometimes.

I can wrote, but the parts of sentences and speech sometimes I get mixed up, I mean, there are so many different things that one word could be, it is crazy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:44 pm
Depending on your native language, English can be very easy to learn. But, it can be vaery hard, too. It just depends on your native language, the quality of the teacher, and whether or not you WANT to learn it.

Though, it IS backwards, compared to most other languages.  

Miakou

Kitty444

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:09 pm
I think that's really interesting. I never thought of the many meanings of the word "UP". English is a very odd language in that sense though, I'm not very surprised. Though I admit, I'll never look at the word "UP" the same way again...  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff