Submit

Angel_Of_Hellfire

Feline Shapeshifter

15,925 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:17 pm
... is there anything I can do that's kina lowkey, yet still SCA? Everthing I've heard about sounds so fun and stuff, but I'm afraid I don't have a lot of time or resources to put towards it... Any advice?
I'm essentially what you might term either a 'poor college student' or a 'working class stiff' in real life... Meh.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:25 pm
A basic tunic takes all of an hour (or less) to sew, and can be made out of cheap, cheap fabric. The dilemma is thus: Will you settle for a tunic, or do you have to be a maiden in silk dresses with gold thread and etc?

Another thing about the SCA is that sometimes people will barter with you - they'll make you a dress if you babysit their kids, or whatever. Just ask around!  

Lia Strife

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:55 pm
The first thing you may want to do is get in touch with your local SCA group. There are links to all of the Kingdoms as http://www.sca.org/geography/welcome.html Follow the link to the Kingdom you live in and you will find links to the local groups where you can get in touch with people to find out what activities are going on in your area.

You might start out by attending a fighter practice or potluck. This kind of activity does not require that you have garb or other stuff to take part. And if something is coming up that the local group is going to, you might be able to wrangle some loaner garb until you can come up with some of your own.

And has been mentioned..the barter system is alive and well in the SCA. Lots of us trade things we can do for things we need.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:31 pm
gotta love the barter trade 3nodding

also, if you're a college student, try checking out the groups and clubs in your College. in the Outlands, where I live, we have the College of Blaiddwyn - and they regular meetings....

But anyway, most local groups have loaner garb for new members, and there are also sometimes classes held that can teach you how to make your own clothes whee fabric will be the biggest hassle - as any of us can tell you, but my suggestion: love Muslin - it's cheap and if you wash it with lots of fabric softener, it's light enough to wear in the summer and warm enough for winter wink

Twin star of Suzaku

Dangerous Shapeshifter

12,800 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

felixofvinjar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:31 pm
Up in my neck of the woods here, we've got folks who come out for the occasional feast, have a t-tunic and a pair of vaguely medieval-looking pants, and have a great time. Net investment in time is a couple hours every month or three, fifteen bucks worth of garb, and a bit of food for the pot-luck feast. So if you're looking to get involved a bit, meet some folks, start learning about our world, might be a way to start.
Really, the amount of time you invest in the SCA is entirely up to you. It would have to be said, of course, that we also have people who pretty much live SCA up here too (heh, I don't spend all week waiting for Wednesday night fight practices, nooo, not me!) simply because it's great fun.

edit - oops, kind of resurrected an old post here, oh well, hope it's still vaguely helpful. My bad, forum newbie, just not *complete* SCA newb.  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:10 pm
Hang out with the local group. There will be some family that will take you in and help out with every aspect of SCA.  

LoneDuke

Ringbender

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:44 am
Help everyone do everything. Help in the kitchen. You will get noticed and someone will fix the problem.  
Newcomers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games