Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

...Corruption eh?
View Results

Zeyl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:44 am
The reason I say they are confusing is because everyone is always trying to convert people or worry about other people's beliefs way too much. Why should anybody care if you are an atheist, catholic, christian, or budhist? If someone believes your going to hell because your an atheist then oh well. They broke one of gods rules and they will suffer. Those are the rules. Just like if soemone shoots another dont worry the court can sort it out. Also why do all these people that believe if you get killed you go to heaven have a problem with murder? I dont understand that. Dont worry you'll go to heaven that way. If you do believe that then you shouldnt worry about dying, ever.

So yea...how about that? Sry i dont know much about the bible. I refuse to read it for fear of corruption. No joke either I really dont want to be corrupted.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:35 am
The bible doesn't corrupt. Reading it with an open mind and a sense of reality only shows you how much crazy bullshit it contains.

On the matter of conversion look at it this way. If there were people going around believing 2+2=7 wouldn't you try to correct them? That's not the best example because regardless of what someone believes 2+2 will allways equal 4. Still the evangelists believe they're correct to a "t" so they want to help others to be "correct". I'll bet there are those who believe that getting more people on board will get them more bonus points with Jesus.  

Phaeton

PsychoDagger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:49 pm
Live and let live. I like that idea.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:20 pm
The bible doesn't corrupt. It a historical document and the bible is a very important piece of evidence of Jesus. There is more evidence though. And you wouldn't be 'corrupted' by believing. You'd be saved.
But most Christians want to spread the word of Christ so that others will have a chance of enternal life in Heaven. It's very important.

However is someone is an atheist, or has another religion I respect that. Many people need to learn 'tolerance'. However when asked my opinion I'll give it honestly.

Angel of Music

Kyomii Kitsune

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 pm
Phaeton
I'll bet there are those who believe that getting more people on board will get them more bonus points with Jesus.

heh, sorry that was just awesome.

You converted someone! Congratulations! You get 100 Jesus Points!

They way I see it, people like to think they are right, and Phaeton's point actually makes a lot of sense. People believe they are "doing what's best for your immortal soul" by trying to show you their way of faith. Some people just do it a little more forecefully than other's because they believe so strongly that their faith is the "right one."

My point of view is that the right faith for one person may not be right for someone else. Having something to believe in is important, and standing up for it is as well. It gives us something to hold on to in dark times. But it should not be forced on to other people, because everyone is different. I believe we should be respectful of other peoples beliefs and allow them the freedom to believe in what makes them happy, just as we would want for ourselves.

To address your comment on murder, it's really a question of "Does one person have the right to take that person's life?" And people get upset about it because not only does it violate our natural right to live, but would you not care about losing someone you love? I'm not attacking you with that question, just posing it as a means of thought. Even if I knew for a fact that my mom was going to "heaven," I still would not want her murdered because I would miss her very much.

As for the Bible corrupting people, well, it's all in a matter of if you believe it or not. If you do, then it's merely a vessel of your faith, and a more concrete base from with to live from. (Though I have to point out that there are countless modes of interpretation, it's still a tangible source of reference.) If you don't believe in the Bible, well, then you don't. You have your own modes of faith to follow, and that's what works for you. Don't feel forced to follow it, regardless of what anyone tells you. If you want to consider corruption still, consider anyone who follows the Bible who does not truly believe it in their heart to be corrupted, for they are listening to someone else's beliefs and not their own. But that is a matter for they themselves to actually judge.

I'm welcome to any other discussion, whether here or via PM. This is actually a topic which I enjoy debating with a passion. The more I talk about it, the more grounded I become in figuring out what I, myself, believe. 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:27 pm
I'm kind of 'meh' about converting people. I figure, if you're already one religion then you're probably happy with it and no preaching from other religions is going to convert you, unless you have little faith in your own religion already.

[Onigiri]

5,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Angel of Music

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:17 am
I don't think theres anything wrong with converting people. But if people don't want to hear about your religion than you shouldn't shove it down their throats. Unless your at a thread like the Christianity vs. Atheisits. I'm over there arguing my point just because of all this fake 'proof' people are blurting out trying to prove me wrong. But my point is not to convert people.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:36 pm
You can't rationalize faith anyway. That's why it tends to crumble when bringing something like religious dogmatics into a logical debate. It's a waste of time.  

Phaeton

CainZeros

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:53 pm
If we athiests really are going to hell then at least it'll be warm. Religious people can go right ahead and freeze their asses off in heaven.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:01 am
[Onigiri]
I'm kind of 'meh' about converting people. I figure, if you're already one religion then you're probably happy with it and no preaching from other religions is going to convert you, unless you have little faith in your own religion already.
also if you had little faith in your current one wouldnt you seek out a new one? or be doing it currently?  

grotesquekreeple

PickleMePurple

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:37 am
grotesquecreeple
[Onigiri]
also if you had little faith in your current one wouldnt you seek out a new one? or be doing it currently?

Not necessarily. I know a couple people who are kind of "eh" about their respective faiths (or lack there of) who are reluctant to look elsewhere. In one case, they were raised a certain way, and it can be a challenge to think that something indoctrinated to you your entire life could be false.

I myself am Christian, though I am friends with members of many religions, I am even married to a Wiccan. But I think one of the problems I have with the arguments you guys have posted is the way you're talking about "converting" like we're trying to turn you into a robot or something. I don't push my friends, or any one else into anything, but is it wrong of me to want my friends to believe in what I do, when I truly feel they will go to hell if they don't?

As far as faith not being able to be rationalized, that's not exactly true. It's not PROVABLE, however to the person who believes, their faith is the most rational thing they can do. Having faith in your respective God or goddess despite the lack of tangible proof of their existence is the basis of most religions, Christian, Wiccan, or otherwise.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:02 pm
Okay, converting people is just plain WRONG. Yes, I completely agree with the fact that religion is confusing, and I think it's mostly because people are intolerant of the fact that other people practice a different religion. I mean, look at most of the wars that have been fought in the history of the earth. Most of them were either religious wars or were influenced by Religion. Do you see Christians fighting Catholics? No, but there's plenty of Christians/Catholics fighting Muslims. If you have a religion... THAT'S GREAT. Don't tell us about it, don't try to turn us. I, for one, will beat the CRAP out of you if you try to convert me simple because you will have disgusted me beyond breaking point, Law of Karma be damned. I think people who convert others are disgusting, and just as worthy to be on the recieving end of whatever punishment that religion has, whether it's damnation or affecting what you're reincarnated as.

And all I've probably done there is give a huge rant which no one understands. That's okay, allowed me to vent.  

Yoru Kurosawa

Man-Hungry Vampire

10,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Full closet 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Bumble Bee Tuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:44 pm
Kyomii Kitsune
You converted someone! Congratulations! You get 100 Jesus Points!

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to offend anyone, but that made me laugh so hard. lol

I personally don't really have one religion. I let my heart and my imagination lead me, and I believe in what I call "Whoever You Are, Wherever You Are". I don't know if that's God, Mother Nature, StarClan, Supergirl, or something else, but I believe in it. I also have some faith in reincarnation, and to tell the truth I would rather come back as an living, breathing, creature on Earth. Spending an eternity in heaven or hell would get very boring. The core of the sun wouldn't be too bad, though ... (Don't ask.)

I have a friend who buys Christan books and computer games for my younger siblings, because he is a Christan. Apparently thinks that we aren't a good family and that my parents are raising us wrong because we aren't Christan. It annoys me, because my sister is too young to understand -- that's kind of like brainwashing, in my opinion -- and my brother thinks God is just some funny make-believe character. Please note that I'm not saying all Christans are like this, but many I've met are.

If you have a religion, that's great! Have faith in it and have a happy life. But, please, even if you have good intentions, don't try to make other people believe in it if they don't want to. Most likely they're happy as they are and will have long, happy, healthy lives. Keep them in your prayers, but leave them be.

Thanks for reading this eleven-year-old's two cents. Again I apologize if I offended anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:31 pm
Zeyl
The reason I say they are confusing is because everyone is always trying to convert people or worry about other people's beliefs way too much. Why should anybody care if you are an atheist, catholic, christian, or budhist? If someone believes your going to hell because your an atheist then oh well. They broke one of gods rules and they will suffer. Those are the rules. Just like if soemone shoots another dont worry the court can sort it out. Also why do all these people that believe if you get killed you go to heaven have a problem with murder? I dont understand that. Dont worry you'll go to heaven that way. If you do believe that then you shouldnt worry about dying, ever.

So yea...how about that? Sry i dont know much about the bible. I refuse to read it for fear of corruption. No joke either I really dont want to be corrupted.

the world is confusing, boyo.
but i get what you mean.
I'm Wiccan but i'm writing a comic involving catholics, yet i don't really wanna do the research on Catholoscisim lest it corrupt me whee
Stupid i know.
I believe what i believe and another religions book isn't going to change that.
Maybe deep down i'm just too lazy to do the research and the corruption thing is just an excuse xd

xCaptain Sensiblex

Hilarious Codger

Aishii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:51 am
I find religions confusing, even my own. Especially my own. The Bible doesn't give you nice descriptions of everything, unlike stories of the Greek gods (my personal favorite). So, at best, it's boring to read. I have no doubt corruption is the last thing that will happen. Most likely, you'll zone out and start drooling. xd (Make no mistake, I do read it.) I would recommend reading it, if not for religous purposes, for having the knowledge of what it contains, to use as you see fit, supporting or condemning. It's good to know what you're up against, no?

The thing is, I will talk to anyone who wants to talk to me about my faith. That's not the case with all people. Religions (at least mine) try to convert others because that is what they are taught to do. They are taking an offensive position, rather than be defensive and shut everyone but select few out. It's not a crime if someone listens, but if you are forcing your religion or beliefs on someone, in all aspects of life, its wrong. That's where controversy begins.

One of my dearest friends is Wiccan, another an Atheist, and my best friend is Catholic. I don't preach to them. Occasionally they may ask questions, which I usually have no answer to, but if they don't want to listen, I don't speak. It works the opposite way, too. And we get along wonderfully.

To everyone, of all religions, I would say "Beware the zealots!" They are crazed and dangerous. If you meet one, and don't have a sharp stick or a stool handy (Back you zealots- back I say!), smile politely and run away as fast as you can. You can recognize them by their frightening exspressions and booming voices, "You will rot in [insert whatever here]!" and such talk. I find that usually they are also bloody hypocrites, and thus I find it difficult to treat them with anything but utter disdain (I try! I do!).

Thank you for all who read this ramble, feel free to rip it to pieces. ^_^

Literate Hell

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces