Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~
Mayo Suzukaze - why do you hate her? READ FIRST POST!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who would be the best voice actor for Kenshin?
  Mayo Suzukaze
  Richard Hayworth
  Megumi Ogata
  Other (like - like Hikaru Midorikawa! *blusssh*)
View Results

Akira_Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:55 am
Read first post before commenting!

I've been reading through many posts and have realized, to my astonishment, that many Kenshin fans don't like his Japanese voice!

Kenshin's voice actress, Suzukaze Mayo (Morinaga Kaname) was a member of Takarazuka Acting Troupe for a good amount of time before she voiced Kenshin. This group is one of those well-known Japanese acting troupes where women play both male and female roles, in direct contrast to traditional Japanese theater where the roles are played by all men. In fact, if you look for Suzukaze Mayo on Youtube, you'll find a clip of her in one of these, Rose of Versailles, plays as a Frenchman named Oscar, and she sings a song called "Wa Ga Na Wa Oscar." It was, for me, quite an experience to hear Kenshin's voice coming from her mouth. XD

I love Mayo Suzukaze's voice on Kenshin for a few reasons. First of all, it's so recognizable. She has a unique quality to her voice that, upon first hearing it, sounds a bit strange, but I quickly got used to it and even came to love it. I thought it fit because Kenshin himself is very strange upon first encounter, but you come to love him straight away in spite of it, even because of it! It's not super girly (I know many people prefer Richard Hayworth because he makes Kenshin sound masculine), but it's not too harsh for Kenshin either. As Watsuki put it, Kenshin's voice should be "neutral." She is able to make Kenshin's character sound funny, cute, serious, sorrowful, etc, in a way that nobody will ever forget.

I can hardly express how much I love Suzukaze's voice on Kenshin. I suppose that it just connects with me, so it's just my opinion that it really fits him.

Richard Hayworth's voice never seemed to fit Kenshin for me. Probably because I already loved Suzukaze's voice so much. But his voice is... airy. Do you know what I mean? It was so expressionless, except when he was angry, and his "oro's" were seriously lacking.

Then there is Ogata Megumi, who did the voice for Kenshin on the drama CDs. Now, I am a huge fan of Ogata. When I found out she did the voice of Yue in CardCaptor Sakura, I rented every episode he was in. When I found out she does the voice of Code in the absolutely unobtainable drama CDs of Twin Signal, I cried because I'll never find them to hear them. BUT EVEN SO!!! I can't hear her voice coming out of Kenshin's mouth.

Ogata's voice is smooth, perfectly toned, with a musical quality that is emotive yet mysterious. But in my opinion it would be far too mysterious for Kenshin! In spite of all the darkness surrounding Kenshin's past, the guilt and bitterness that constantly eats at him, he tries to live a normal life. Though he knows there is danger at every corner, his favorite moments are doing chores, hanging with his friends, mentoring Yahiko. In Seisouhen we discover he is suited for normal farm life. Ogata's voice is simply too eccentric for that role.

To sum up, I think Suzukaze Mayo was the perfect choice to voice Kenshin, much better than a man like Richard Hayworth, or a famous star like Ogata Megumi.

Thoughts? (PLEASE do NOT quote the first post!)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:13 pm
I prefer Richard Hayworth's voice. I agree his "oros" were awful, but I just couldn't stomach Suzukaze's voice. She made Kenshin sound way too girly. Yes, he's rather feminine in apperance, but his voice and attitude are all man. I'd say just have a man with a slightly higher-pitched voice play him.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Ankha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:04 am
I was also shocked by all the people saying how much they hate Kenshins japanese voice! It is so beutiful, so KENSHIN... And I really don't understand the "he sounds girly" talk... I must confess that at first I didn't even know that the voice actor for Kenshin was a girl ^^

The englich version for Kenshin (the little I have heard of it) seriously makes my stomach turn... I'm sorry, but I MUST AGREE with post nr 1 on this one!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:12 am
I'm sorry to post again, after my own post ^^
But I just saw the clip frpm youtube, and I just have to say that it was AWESOME! Hearing Kenshins voice like that... WOW!
I just love Suzukaze Mayo, her voice, the power and yet softness in it... She is so talented! Thanks for the tip!  

Ankha

MAJESTIC BACONNN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:20 pm
I agree with Yami. Hayworth's voice better suits Kenshin, in my opinion. I've tried to adapt to Suzukaze's voice.. But it just doesn't seem right to me. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:42 pm
Ankha
I'm sorry to post again, after my own post ^^
But I just saw the clip frpm youtube, and I just have to say that it was AWESOME! Hearing Kenshins voice like that... WOW!
I just love Suzukaze Mayo, her voice, the power and yet softness in it... She is so talented! Thanks for the tip!

xd Isn't she tough? It's a lovely performance, even though the actors are extremely made-up. I could never get used to Hayworth either. He sounded like an old man to me.  

Akira_Hoshino

samuraichikX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:00 am
Yami no Hitokiri
I prefer Richard Hayworth's voice. I agree his "oros" were awful, but I just couldn't stomach Suzukaze's voice. She made Kenshin sound way too girly. Yes, he's rather feminine in apperance, but his voice and attitude are all man. I'd say just have a man with a slightly higher-pitched voice play him.

same here, it was a little too high pitched for my taste, i mean men have to have deep voices, ESPECIALLY when he's battousai. i did like her oros better have to admit that but honestly i prefer the english voice richard hayworth  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:25 am
Well when I started on Kenshin I only heard the dub and thus got used to Richard Hayworth's voice. Personally, I don't think he does a bad job. As for his seiyuu...I think she's pretty good but I've only just started to watch it in the original Japanese so I haven't quite gotten used to it yet. XD

But from what little I've seen in the Japanese, I'd have to say that Hayworth sounds much more menacing.  

night_mare

TheIllustriousBlueJay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:24 am
I like both. but I slightly dislike J. Shannon Weaver in the Samurai X movie.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:57 pm
I really like Suzukaze Mayo. At first it was wierd, cause I was use to hearing Richard Hayworth's voice, but then I started liking it. I love the "oros!" I like Richard too, especially in battosai mode. ninja So I'd have to say.... both. sweatdrop  

Fireshaper

~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff