Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How much longer will English be used in the U.S.? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you heard this before?
  Yes
  No
View Results

stuntmonkey

Dapper Entrepreneur

8,175 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:51 pm
With all the Hispanics coming over to America I've heard rumors that since there is no set language for America it could someday be a Spanish speaking country. I hope that never happens.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:55 pm
No flipen way! I kind of though we did have a set language, American English.  

dark_elf

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:03 am
dark_elf
No flipen way! I kind of though we did have a set language, American English.
I hope that's the case... sad  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:53 am
That'd be so messed up if Spanish became the national language. It that ever happens, I'm just going to force my family to move back to Canada.

But I agree that I think American English is our set language. It's what every learns and is expected to know in the US. I doubt they could just switch languages just like that. Besides, America has been speaking English for over 200 years now. It's like tradition.  

BlindingTwilight

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:57 am
Oh hell no. If they want to live in this country, they can damn well learn English. No way am I learning another language to accomodate those who are too lazy to learn the language of this land. If I went to Germany, I wouldn't expect them to speak English to make my life easier. I'd simply have to learn German.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:26 pm
If they come here, they should learn english. I would speak english... If America became spanish speaking, noone would understand me rofl .  

Roane Farhall

Distinct Hunter

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:05 pm
We are far to lenient on Mexico. Anyone hear about the Mexican Humvee with a high caliber machine gun wreaking havoc on and off the border? And we didn't do diddly about it.

I'm also getting sick of signs with it repeated in Spanish below, or worse, above the original message.

A personal insight: We got a camper recently. English was not included in the manual.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:03 pm
DarkElf27
We are far to lenient on Mexico. Anyone hear about the Mexican Humvee with a high caliber machine gun wreaking havoc on and off the border? And we didn't do diddly about it.

I'm also getting sick of signs with it repeated in Spanish below, or worse, above the original message.

A personal insight: We got a camper recently. English was not included in the manual.

I would write to the company and complain...  

fluffypants

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:59 pm
neutral America won't change the official language, but they might, and I say might, someday add Spanish as an official language, so then there'd be two official languages in the US: English and Spanish.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:51 pm
I didn't think America had an official/national language.

I wouldn't mind Spanish being an "official language" (what makes it official? it is already spoken...maybe national? who knows, the word wont come to me). I like to speak it more than English, I just don't know enough to go around saying everything in Spanish, but one day I will.  

Jewlz2007

Rukoric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:12 pm
Things like this don't really bother me. I have no problem with other languages, and I'm working on learning Russian right now, after which I'm gonna learn Arabic, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, and German.

However, I agree that if they are going to come and live here(which I really have no problem with, as long as they're legally here), they better learn to speak the most commonly accepted language. If the majority of the people started speaking Japanese, I'd learn Japanese. If the majority of the people start speaking Spanish, I'll learn Spanish. But until the majority of the people in this country switch languages, they should learn English(which means that the majority of people should never end up speaking something other than English).  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:32 pm
I'm from India, and from what I've heard, the economy there is rivaling economy here, meaning that India, China, and Japan might become the super countries soon, meaning America's language might dissapear.  

Archdemonessa

Selzion_Rift

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:24 am
DarkElf27

Really? I'm sure people in Japan, China, Russia and many other countries, are sick of signs with English below them. Actually....English signs seem to be in a lot of places. I'm an American myself, so please don't think I'm not proud of my country or anything, but please remember that more foreign signs have English on them....I think that made sense....  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:27 pm
stuntmonkey
With all the Hispanics coming over to America I've heard rumors that since there is no set language for America it could someday be a Spanish speaking country. I hope that never happens.

I don't think it will, if anything it would be split like canada.

And if we do switch to spanish YO HABLO ESPANOL! mrgreen  

agny-pantsu

Red-Chocolate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:32 am
Ack! No, because I am learning French, which is way cooler! mrgreen  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items