[against stereotypes, eh?]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ronton-ritsuzen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:46 pm
i just might get hated for this but oh well:
i find it just a tad bit contradictory when people say they're against stereotypes.
"labels are for soup cans," i've heard.
then why do you use the term "prep?"
or "goth?"
or---
:punk
:redneck
:geek
:christian
:athiest
:white/black/yellow/etc.
like it or not you're gonna label people.
we're humans,
that's what we do.
that's why we're called "humans"

this is just my personal opinion.
so don't go attacking me for speaking my mind, ok kids?
<3!
:[alice]  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:18 am
ronton-ritsuzen
i find it just a tad bit contradictory when people say they're against stereotypes.
or "goth?"
or---
we're humans,
that's what we do.

<3!
I completly agree execpt for one part

ronton-ritsuzen
Actualy we are called humans from the term Homosapian(sp?) Which means man who thinks but other then that your completly right  

MOD66

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:09 am
ronton-ritsuzen
or "goth?"
or---
we're humans,
that's what we do.

<3!

I actually don't have a problem with stereotypes. They can be very amusing and also helpful. But some of those things you listed aren't necessarily labels (in the negative sense that most people think when you think "labels") because they are used to describe a person in ways that you can't get around. Taking from your list those you mentioned would be Christian, athiest, and white/black/yellow/etc.

The words Christian and athiest are there as descriptors for what people believe.

I'm white. There's no getting around that. Now unless you are majorly politically correct - in which case I'm sorry for you - then there's nothing wrong with the terms black and white for skin tone. I've never really called Asian's yellow though. I've always just called them Asians.

But in any case, I wouldn't consider those terms labels since you can't get around them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:25 pm
I just say I'm against stereo-types cause I don't really know WHAT I am... sweatdrop

Lexiegirl

Krys_Night

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:04 pm
stereotypes are stupid, and people who think in them are worse.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:14 pm
I'll say what I said on my profile:
I believe everyone uses stereotypes at one point or another, because they don't know any better. Once we grow older, we start to see that we aren't that stereotype. We realize that we're not defined by any one of them, and that's when we realize that we're ourselves, you know?
Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, kind of loopy tonight, but basically all I'm trying to say is: we grow out of it. We learn later on, that we are indeed, ourselves and not a stereotype. That sounds better actually...  

Shadow`s Enigma

Apocalyptic Warrior

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:21 pm
I've never had a problem with labels, except when misused.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 pm
Language cannot function any any level without the use of labels.

I've never been against them.  

GilAskan
Crew

Lee Retalis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:50 pm
I don't like stereotypes because I don't like being treated like I'm weak because I'm a girl and other such nonsense.
I'm tired of people thinking I should wear makeup, like pink, like skirts and pretty dresses.
Stereotypes are wrong because they aren't always accurate, everyone is an individual and different and shouldn't be grouped together and treated a certain way because of stereotypes.
If stereotypes didn't exist I would have to deal with the "I don't hit girls" crap I hear everytime I'm joking around with some of my male aquaintances.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:41 pm
1: The "humans" part was more or less a joke, but i do know that the term "human" is derrivative from homo sapien and understand the meaning behind it.

2: race and religion can be used as a stereotype. i see it and experience it everyday.

3: stereotypes aren't necessarily bad. misused, yes quite frequently, but not bad. and keeping away from certain people just because the sterotypes linked to them doesn't help (i guess that would go under "misused" in a way, though).  

ronton-ritsuzen

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:49 am
i LIKE lables, thats why I have a lable maker.
And nobody has ever tried to lable me becuse I cant just fit into one lable, I fit into several.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:06 am
Not against labels
I try not to use them
I am going to try harder
but not against them  

AcidDropper

Argetlam13

Shirtless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:23 am
In my personal belief, Stereotypes can be useful. Whaen you talk, do you say that group of people to my left? I know I don't. Believe it or not, many people stereotype without even knowing it. Especially when thinking, or writing. Parents never understand is a good example. Sometimes, parents might actually know what they're talking about. Anyways, I've nothing further to say.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:45 am
I have nothing useful to say, but I do have one label I appreciate: Me.  

_AX_Faline Calbrewer

mee_shee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:11 am
yes i agree i guess ... we can't really avoid it either. even if we just plain call ourselves as one group : HUMANS.

we're STILL labeling eachother

there's no way around it

i think however that when people say they are gothic, they mean that they are just people who want to show their differences, and what people to see that they are different, and not just another face in the crowd of human blur.

i think this is a good thing becuase it teaches the person more self respect, it gives them worth.  
~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games