Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Newcomers
To the well-knowledgable natives in the Las Vegas area...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crystal Silhouette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:18 pm
Hail friend!
I acutally have a couple of questions that I need a bit of help in answering.

First of all, I'm not a member of any SCA group. I'm not really all that knowledgable in SCA to be truthful. I am, however, most interested in it and love the idea of joining on myself.

Unfortunately, with work and school I don't know if I have enough time to dedicate to joining an SCA group. (I'm not really sure how much time I should have set aside for such activities.)

But! I would love to attempt taking classes and learning swordplay or traditional archery. Is that possible to learn without being a part of an SCA group or would one need membership? If it is possible, would anyone happen to know of locations where such classes would be offered?

I'm also interested in knowing if there were also classes for Japanese archery as well. (Just on the off chance anyone would happen to know that.. or where I could possibly find out for myself.)

Thank you so much for your help!
<3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:25 am
You don't have to be a paid, cardholding member to participate in the SCA, unless you want to become an authorized fighter, or enter the Crown Lists (to become King or Queen). Your level of involvement and participation is entirely up to you. You don't have to attend *every* meeting, practice, class, or other gathering.

As for what's available, it really depends on your local group(s) - how large they are, how active they are, and how well-organized they are. Some groups, like large baronies, have many guilds for folks interested in various activities, which usually meet with some sort of regularity. Others might only have one practice or meeting day a month. Some meet on an as-needed or as-desired basis. The best way to find out is to get in touch with your local group's chatelaine/chatelain/hospitaller/whatever they call the newbie helper in your neck of the woods, and find out what they've got going on,

Classes can also be taken at events, which non members are welcome to attend, though there is a $3 surcharge to get in, in addition to whatever the site fee may be (which is usually quite reasonable). You are required to wear an attempt at period garb to events, but meetings are usually much more laid back.

I would suggest going to the SCA website (www.sca.org), find out which Kingdom you're in (because I don't know offhand which kingdom claims Las Vegas), and go from there... the Kingdom website will have a list of local groups, and the local group's page should have contact information, and possibly information about where/when they meet. Check them out, express your interest, let them know what you're looking for and find out what's available. They'll be more than happy to help, even if you can only come and play with them on a sort of part-time basis.

I hope that helps.... smile  

Imzy
Crew

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:19 am
I did a bit more research, and it looks like Las Vegas is part of the Kingdom of Caid, and more specifically the local group is the Barony of Starkhafn. Their website is here: http://www.starkhafn.org/  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:58 pm
Thank you so much, Imzy.
That was extremely helpful and I really appreciated it!

<3

Crystal Silhouette

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:47 pm
Crystal Silhouette
Thank you so much, Imzy.
That was extremely helpful and I really appreciated it!

<3

*grins* What can I say? Once a Chatelaine, always a chatelaine, I guess. But since I haven't got a local group to recruit for anymore, I may as well be useful to folks around here. smile  
Newcomers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games