Welcome to Gaia! ::

The FIRST Shojo Beat Guild

Back to Guilds

Come visit us at The Shojo Beat Guild and talk about everything the magazine has to offer: Manga, Artists, J-music, and more!!! 

Tags: Shojo, Beat, Magazine, Tankoban, Girls 

Reply .: Shojo Beat :: The -now defunct- Magazine :.
Advertising to the girl crowd... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ten gold for you!
  Yay! >^_^<
View Results

chubby_choco

Dapper Hunter

7,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:34 pm
I guess this kinda has to do with the main forum, but just in case, I put it in here...

Has anyone ever noticed the only company Shojo Beat advertises EVERY issue - since a few issues ago, anyway - is Yaoi Press? I'm a big yaoi fan, so I don't mind, but what about the people who don't like it? I'd imagine they don't like seeing the magazine page covered in boy luv...
Besides, isn't it really biased to think only GIRLS like yaoi? I know a lot of boys who do...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:54 pm
Well, since VIZ owns SB, they might not want to advertise too many other companies that could take away business..

The majority of the BL/yaoi fanbase is female. There are boys who like it, of course, but ads should be aimed at the majority.  

Skizzors

GreenLadyDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:58 am
The ads are by companies that pay to have them placed in the magazine. Since YaoiPress isn't owned by Viz they probably paid a lot for all those ads becuase it hits a lot of their fanbase....much better then let's say Sports Illustrated. Not to mention boys that like Yaoi probably are likely to read ShojoBeat too.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:53 pm
Both valid points... 3nodding I dunno, it just kind of shocked me...seeing anon-VIZ company advetised in a VIZ magazine. I just felt like saying something.  

chubby_choco

Dapper Hunter

7,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Full closet 200

hana211

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:23 pm
They have a lot of different advertisers. CMX who does shojo manga has been advertising in there for a long time now, and I've seen Funimation shojo anime ads too for Fruits Basket.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:02 pm
I think it's cool, but you're right some people don't like that kind of stuff.
But I love it! heart

ThePersonWhoYouMightKnow

CuteGladGirl

Fashionable Gaian

5,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:02 pm
I don't mind that stuff... kinda interesting :-p lol  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:18 pm
I haven't read any of those yet, I just pass the page. I don't have a problem with it, and people you don't like it can just pass the page(like I do, lol).  

ice_blu

ThePersonWhoYouMightKnow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:15 pm
ice_blu
I haven't read any of those yet, I just pass the page. I don't have a problem with it, and people you don't like it can just pass the page(like I do, lol).

That's a great point!XD *thumbs-up*  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:20 pm
Yaoi....hm....can't say I'm really totally in love with it, but it's just an advertisement, so people shouldn't really get offended. (Not sure if this matters though sweatdrop )  

kafka at the store

Lilaithia

Demonic Kitten

9,350 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:34 am
ThePersonWhoYouMightKnow
ice_blu

That's a great point!XD *thumbs-up*
wonderful point, if people would just listen. rolleyes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:35 pm
Cute sig. ^.^  

Magegirl Nino

7,250 Points
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0

lemoura

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:55 pm
It's like the argument of religion in schools; if you don't like it, don't pay attention. When a business can gain revenue from a source, three out of four times, they take it. It's simple business accounting. They also have many other reasons that they support yaoi, I'm sure, but a huge one would probably be slanted towards it being a manga. SB is more than just advertisements and cultre; it's manga. That similarity alone is a base for such advertisement. Another thing is that the people who read SB probably like the love stories in regards to any gender. If they left out the demographic for those who like the yaoi, there'd be a whole lot of people unaccounted for in their calculations. Like I said before, simple economics.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:20 pm
Well, actually, I noticed that too. I really like La Esperanca. (sp?) So the ads for it make me squeal. But Viz normally only advertises their own stuff.. So I figured they'd advertise Fushigi Yuugi, Hana-kimi, and others... neutral  

Princess Rune

emeraldisdead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:54 pm
They have adverts for Hirameki International's visual novels too. And a lot of adverts for CMX's shoujo titles.  
.: Shojo Beat :: The -now defunct- Magazine :.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games