Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you help?
  YES
View Results

xxantuxx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:27 pm
Well, we arent by most governments either but I found Wikipedia's wikibook section, and looked under religion, there is not a single thing about paganism under there. Magick as a religion was mentioned but there was no link, and I found this appauling and I know that we can do better than this. I say we all gather ourselves and write a book for wikipedia about wicca, paganism or something along those lines! Who's with me?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:01 pm
1. we are not exactly a "big" faith...

2. most people look at it with disgust or fear

3. most people think its a "fad"

4. there are many religons that arent named that often... you just dont know
of them smile

5. i would do the whole wikipedia thing... but i dont know much... and im waaayyy too lazy... hell im suprised that i even wrote this.

and of course sadly majority rules sad  

Un-Hugged Child

skipparoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:42 am
We do mainly gather in groups of 13. Not exactly a revolution group now is it?

Who's to say it's a bad thing anyways? I kind like it! blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:51 am
Paganism is an umbrella term, so you're not going to get very many books on a term that encompasses pretty much any religion that isn't Christianity, Judaism or Islam.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:50 am
Wiki actually does have information on specific sects; Wicca has it's own project on there if you happen to look. Paganism is just too big of a term, and simply too general for them to have much more on it.

I find a lot of people seem to think that Paganism itself is a religion, rather than a name for a collection of religions and life styles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:06 pm
How about we just leave it to the thousands of authors to flood the market with books, hm?

I'm hardly worried about what Wikipedia has to say on the matter.  

Eric Wolfborn

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:51 am
Eric Wolfborn
How about we just leave it to the thousands of authors to flood the market with books, hm?

I'm hardly worried about what Wikipedia has to say on the matter.

But Wikipedia is the ultimate source of knowledge! Stephen Colbert quoted it on the boom in the elephant population in Aftrica! Did you know that it's tripled? blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:37 pm
Chibi_Revenant

2. most people look at it with disgust or fear

3. most people think its a "fad"

What kind of people do you hang around with? I'm very open with my religious beliefs and very rarely do people look at me with disgust or fear over my religious preferences. In fact often when people do that, and it is ony very few they are older or they have been misinformed to what paganism is an umbrella term for. Once I clarify there is no disgust or fear, and most people have respect that I have a faith I believe and follow so strongly same way one would respect a devoted follower of any major religion.

The fad thing I can speak less to, after all my family thinks that my pagan studies and beliefs are a fad...a six year fad going on seven but still a fad. I think though they are just in some ways hurt that I've rejected Roman Catholic teachings, as they are very religious too and part of any good Catholic faith is that your faith is the only one that will find salvation. ^_^  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:43 pm
I don't understand this wikapedia appeal at all. What kind of authority do they have? I mean its one thing to demand a correction and addition to an actual academic or scholar's endevor, its another to demand the same from an online data base ANYONE can put ANYTHING on.

doesn't anyone realize that wikapedia IS NOT a valid source. I know ten year old and younger kids who alter those data bases. Not to say the kids are wrong so much as to say I don't want to read an article on anything from there and take it as factual when I have no idea who the source is or what the source's credentials are.

You can't trust the mainstream news not to lie to you and now you want to believe this junk?

Sorry that was a slightly long loosely related rant redface feel free to disregard entirely.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:07 pm
While Wikipedia can be editted by anyone, it is this communal ability that not only can harm the site, but also strengthens it. Hence, if someone misappropriately changes information, a more informed individual can raise a flag. Heck, one guy was arrested for defamation when he tried to edit a Wikipedia page as a joke.

Naturally, when ever someone gets a resource, the best next step is to find something that validates it. Antoher nice thing about Wikipedia is information can be cited like a report, sending readers to where a creator recieved their information. And of course, it's up to the reader to use common sense; if they are gullible, then it's their own fault.

On the subject of creating a book, internet or otherwise, I can attest that while many of us are experienced practicioners, writing such a book on a very large subject such Paganism would be a task equivalent to an encyclopedia project. For, as noted, Paganism is an umbrella term, and the editors would have some work agreeing upon what defintion of Paganism they wish to use, which would affect the whole outcome of the project, and may possibly leave something missing to certain beholders.

This is not to say it could not be done; it is to imply that it would be better done by those experienced in the field studying religion and have access to higher-education resources.  

Jameta
Captain

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:15 am
Translation - That would be a project of to great for a bunch of kids on the net. biggrin

Admitting that a good chunk of this guild is of adult age, we still don't have the necessary academic training to write something like that.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:02 am
Nihilistic Seraph
Translation - That would be a project of to great for a bunch of kids on the net. biggrin

Admitting that a good chunk of this guild is of adult age, we still don't have the necessary academic training to write something like that.
If you're reffering to me on the translation, I hope you're being sarcastic, as I'd rather not see kids attempt it. confused  

Jameta
Captain

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces