Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The continuing insult to the language Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:10 pm
Here's something you might be interested in:
The continuing insult to the language

This episode of Lingua Franca is about the misuse of words. For example, phrases like "grinding to a halt" are losing their original meaning because the metaphor refers to something that is no longer common.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:29 pm
What other phrases have lost their meaning? Oh! I read an excerpt somewhere... let me find it! Okay it's from a Reader's Digest booklet. It says

No Generation Gap between me and my younger classmates, I thought. Wrong. When a teacher used the expression "broken record," a young man next to me asked, "Whats's that mean?" "Endless Repetition," I explained. "If a record were scratched, the needle would skip and play the same piece of music over and over." His face brightened. "Like a corrupted MP3 file?" - Christina Lindsey West Point Virginia  

dianersj

Dead Twisted Romance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:42 pm
Tisk tisk, such a shame. *Hangs head and shuts off computer* xd  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:44 pm
Ouch. Much pain. stressed Though, I disagree mildly, I think America is worse off, literacy-wise.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Cyrus Adler

Distinct Conversationalist

10,600 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:51 am
I don't see a logical reason for anyone to have come to the conclusion than any English-speaking country was less capable within certain faculties than ANY other. England does not see problems less or beyond what we see here in the United States. They simply have lesser numbers, and I believe firmly in quality over quantity.

Although I am certainly hard-pressed to remember any English dumbasses I might have met long ago, the notion evades me...  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:42 pm
Ramirez Delaz
I don't see a logical reason for anyone to have come to the conclusion than any English-speaking country was less capable within certain faculties than ANY other. England does not see problems less or beyond what we see here in the United States. They simply have lesser numbers, and I believe firmly in quality over quantity.

Although I am certainly hard-pressed to remember any English dumbasses I might have met long ago, the notion evades me...

I think you might find though that within extremes of the butchering of the English language (people who speak nothing but TXT and people who use it now and again) America has a much higher ratio of the former than any other English speaking country.  

Semper Idem

Lissiwen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:31 pm
dianersj
What other phrases have lost their meaning? Oh! I read an excerpt somewhere... let me find it! Okay it's from a Reader's Digest booklet. It says

No Generation Gap between me and my younger classmates, I thought. Wrong. When a teacher used the expression "broken record," a young man next to me asked, "Whats's that mean?" "Endless Repetition," I explained. "If a record were scratched, the needle would skip and play the same piece of music over and over." His face brightened. "Like a corrupted MP3 file?" - Christina Lindsey West Point Virginia

We still have a record player at our house. It hasn't been used since my mother was a child, but still after reading that I feel old. Since when was sixteen over the hill?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:05 am
Lissiwen
dianersj

We still have a record player at our house. It hasn't been used since my mother was a child, but still after reading that I feel old. Since when was sixteen over the hill?

I used the record player we still have at home until I was 7, maybe. I'm 18. 0.0

Generally, I think that the problem is that people rarely read books anymore. I believe reading and being exposed to correct English can prevent and minimize bad grammar and bad grammar, and enrich one's vocabulary. School can't really fix kids who are never exposed to correct English outside of it. The parents still have much more influence than school.  

Fatal Hilarity

natalia_nicova_black

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:53 pm
In reply to the above comment, I would like to make the point that at the age of thirteen, I had grammer and vocabulary skills higher than those of a number of my teachers. This is why I have no faith in the grammer that comes out of our school system. Reading, and reading a lot helps though. I have had teachers in the past who used phrases such as "alls 'ya gotta do is..." and my personal pet peeve: "I seen ___" the blank represents whatever it is this person has seen, but the incorrect tense drives me up the wall every time that I hear it. It seems as if I can't escape the bad grammer, no matter where I go anymore.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:22 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
Here's something you might be interested in:
The continuing insult to the language

This episode of Lingua Franca is about the misuse of words. For example, phrases like "grinding to a halt" are losing their original meaning because the metaphor refers to something that is no longer common.

That was pretty interesting. Although, I think metaphors like "shot himself in the foot" can inform (that's not really the word I was looking for) you about the history of the english language. It adds to the richness of it.  

Esilwyn_Lightleaf

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:51 pm
As to what natalia_nicova_black said, I agree. It makes me so angry when teachers use bad grammar. Especially a certain teacher at my school... but she's a terrible teacher, anyway. No, seriously.
Then again, it makes me mad when anyone uses bad grammar. XD
I hate it when people say "we was" or something similar. gonk crying

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:11 am
Messenger_Of_The_Moon
As to what natalia_nicova_black said, I agree. It makes me so angry when teachers use bad grammar. Especially a certain teacher at my school... but she's a terrible teacher, anyway. No, seriously.
Then again, it makes me mad when anyone uses bad grammar. XD
I hate it when people say "we was" or something similar. gonk crying

You would hate Central-Scotland! People have a nasty habit of using 'how' and 'why' interchangably. For example:
Quote:
Teacher: Get out of the classroom
Pupil: How?

mr1989foster

dianersj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:40 pm
Another term that no one else uses is " a lick and a promise"

which is for those of you who don't know, when you agree to do something but you only do it halfway or not at all when you agreed to do it.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:41 pm
Lissiwen
dianersj

haha i know the feeling..  

dianersj

dianersj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:43 pm
F. Fritzi
Lissiwen
dianersj

I used the record player we still have at home until I was 7, maybe. I'm 18. 0.0

Generally, I think that the problem is that people rarely read books anymore. I believe reading and being exposed to correct English can prevent and minimize bad grammar and bad grammar, and enrich one's vocabulary. School can't really fix kids who are never exposed to correct English outside of it. The parents still have much more influence than school.

oh well of course! its all up to the parents whether they enforce good behaviors, and encourage their children to read at early ages. I mean i learned how to read because my mom read books to me every night and by 5 i was able to read.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff