Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The longest words you know... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like long words?
  yes
  no
  I had to go on the enternet to find one...
View Results

Red-Chocolate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:47 pm
What are some long words you know? You have to be able to define and spell them.
Hippopotomonstrosisquipadilian: pertaining to a long word.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:59 pm
Antidisestablishmentarianism: a political philosophy opposed to the separation of church and state. Longest word in the english language and the longest word I know by heart. sweatdrop

Where did you find that word?! eek  

VickoRano

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:24 pm
wikkedwitch
Antidisestablishmentarianism: a political philosophy opposed to the separation of church and state. Longest word in the english language and the longest word I know by heart. sweatdrop

I remember that my English teacher used that word in class when I was in year 10 (or may be 11), but she actually had the meaning wrong because it has a double negative (she said it just to be funny), and I pointed it out, which was even more funny.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:59 pm
pneumonultramicroscopiccsiliavolcaniconiosis: Some kind of lung condition that comes from inhaling volcanic dust.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

SofiaDragon

Interesting Citizen

6,650 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:09 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
wikkedwitch

I remember that my English teacher used that word in class when I was in year 10 (or may be 11), but she actually had the meaning wrong because it has a double negative (she said it just to be funny), and I pointed it out, which was even more funny.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
That is the longest word I know, and I've actually used it to describe a rather empty-headed aquaintance of mine. HE doesn't understand why I (a Wiccan schoolteacher) am against having the bible read in the local elementrary school. sweatdrop I told him that antidisastablishmentarianism died many years ago and it was best not to try and revive it. I think his brain shut down. lol

My marbles...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 am
I'm more a fan of effective words than long ones - I really hate the standard "good"/"nice"/"interesting" sorts of words, but I just want words that are specific and work well in context, regardless of the length.  

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

VickoRano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:40 pm
SofiaDragon
The MoUsY spell-checker
wikkedwitch

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
That is the longest word I know, and I've actually used it to describe a rather empty-headed aquaintance of mine. HE doesn't understand why I (a Wiccan schoolteacher) am against having the bible read in the local elementrary school. sweatdrop I told him that antidisastablishmentarianism died many years ago and it was best not to try and revive it. I think his brain shut down. lol

My marbles...

A wiccan school teacher? That is great. I'm actually thinking of getting into a class about Wicca in college, when I go next fall... I'll be there mostly for art but that class is sounding mighty interesting to me right now...

It's the longest word I know and, I thought, the longest word in the dictionary. I am wrong? My dictionary is wrong? Sad!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:41 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
pneumonultramicroscopiccsiliavolcaniconiosis: Some kind of lung condition that comes from ihaling volcanic dust.

Stupid scientists and their long-arse medical conditions... xd Good one! 3nodding  

VickoRano

VickoRano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:44 pm
Keakealani
I'm more a fan of effective words than long ones - I really hate the standard "good"/"nice"/"interesting" sorts of words, but I just want words that are specific and work well in context, regardless of the length.

Agreed.

Although, I need to expand my vocabulary in order to BE like that... my friend Liza (Kiesa Amalla) is like that to a T and I'm always asking her what some of her words mean.

I must read more.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:45 am
in french:
anticonstitutionelement  

LaForet

Chaotic Nitemare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:28 am
Floccinaucinihilipilification. Say it. It rolls off your tongue. :b  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:47 am
Chaotic Nitemare
Floccinaucinihilipilification. Say it. It rolls off your tongue. :b
Not so much rolles as cloggs it up. xp
I've heard of some long medical words that I could never remember or write. rolleyes  

dark_elf

Red-Chocolate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:53 pm
wikkedwitch

Where did you find that word?! eek

I know that word too! That was my first long word!! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:54 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
pneumonultramicroscopiccsiliavolcaniconiosis: Some kind of lung condition that comes from ihaling volcanic dust.

I've heard that one too! I can't spell it though, maybe someday! sweatdrop  

Red-Chocolate

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas