Submit

Mistress DragonFlame

Wealthy Werewolf

8,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:12 am
Hello, I'm Mistress DragonFlame. (Corus: Hello, MDF.) And I have a problem.

I'm not SCA. At least, I'm pretty sure I'm not. <.<;

You see, I'm part of a guild called St. Micheal's Salle D'Armes. It's a reinactment sword guild that is non-profit, based in SanFran, and we basically just poke/whack eachother with swords all day.

I've never heard of SCA while in this group, so I don't think we're a member. Or are we by default?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:36 pm
Nope, you're in a totally different organization. But welcome! The SCA is a worldwide recreation group that focuses on the medieval and renaissance times. Our group's timespan ranges from 600-1600 AD (although, there are a few with personas a few years beyond either end of the scale). We partake in many different activities of the time-I generally tell people that if they did it during that time period, someone in the SCA can teach you how to do it. All who attend our events are required to make some attempt at pre-17th century garb, and for those who don't have any, there is usually loaner garb available. There is no requirement for joining the SCA-everyone is welcome. The only restriction is those who are under the age of majority in their country/state of residence must have a parent or guardian with them. You don't need to be an SCA member to go to events, practices, or anything else of the like.

Well, I hope this wall of text explained a little bit and you understand more about the SCA now. Our groups have similar goals, but I think we're a bit broader.  

Arithrel
Crew

Mistress DragonFlame

Wealthy Werewolf

8,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:50 am
Ah, I see. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:24 am
Greetings,

I hope you'll consider looking into participating in the SCA. It can be a very enchanting hobby and you can learn a tremendous amount in the process.

One thing I will point out should you decide to go to an SCA event. If you are using "Mistress" as part of your medieval name you should be aware that in the SCA that form of address is reserved for members of the Order of the Laurel and the Order of the Pelican, both of which are peerages. I wouldn't want you to have someone land on you with both feet at your first event for claiming a title you hadn't earned. And sadly there are people who would go after you for that even though it was simply a matter of not knowing on your part.  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Mistress DragonFlame

Wealthy Werewolf

8,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:04 am
Definitly not. I would never use "Mistress" outside of the iternet. Mistress is simply because it referrs to my "domination" of fanfics (I was 13 and for a fanfic site when I made the name, so what?)

I'd be nothing more then a merchant's daughter, or something should I join.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:04 pm
Mistress DragonFlame
Definitly not. I would never use "Mistress" outside of the iternet. Mistress is simply because it referrs to my "domination" of fanfics (I was 13 and for a fanfic site when I made the name, so what?)

I'd be nothing more then a merchant's daughter, or something should I join.

Cool, I totally understand the internet handle thing.

I hope you do give the SCA a try, I think you'd enjoy it. Perhaps we'll meet at an event some time. I'm the one with my face painted blue!  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Mistress DragonFlame

Wealthy Werewolf

8,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:16 pm
The problem with me joining the SCA would be I have no one. I don't know of a single person in real life who's in it. Also, it might conflict with my Guild.

But! I'm probably going to wind up at an event sooner or later. I like what I see here (save for the duck tape; it baffles my mind, really) and I'm starting to itch to make some period clothes.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:45 pm
Mistress DragonFlame
The problem with me joining the SCA would be I have no one. I don't know of a single person in real life who's in it. Also, it might conflict with my Guild.

But! I'm probably going to wind up at an event sooner or later. I like what I see here (save for the duck tape; it baffles my mind, really) and I'm starting to itch to make some period clothes.

Oh, you'll meet people easily enough! If you're a little uncomfortable going to an event on your own, check out a local practice or something, first. They're great ways to meet people.  

Arithrel
Crew

Mistress DragonFlame

Wealthy Werewolf

8,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:48 pm
The problem is, I'm not good at meeting new people--any where, any time. And, I'm pretty sure my cowtown doesn't have a local meeting, the most likely being in Fresno, where I can't exactly hop and skip to as it's nearly an hour's drive.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:57 pm
Mistress DragonFlame
The problem is, I'm not good at meeting new people--any where, any time. And, I'm pretty sure my cowtown doesn't have a local meeting, the most likely being in Fresno, where I can't exactly hop and skip to as it's nearly an hour's drive.

From my experience...if you show up at a practice, people will see you and that you're new...and if nothing else will make sure you're there for the practice. smile New people who show up to practices are never ignored...we'd never get new members that way. Trust me, the first time I went to my rapier practice I knew NOBODY...I'm horribly shy and was nearly silent for the first few weeks, but now they're some of my best friends. It's not as bad as it seems. What's the name of your town (you can PM it to me if you'd rather)? You'd be surprised at some of the small towns that have local groups. I could look yours up and find out what the closest group to you is.  

Arithrel
Crew

Mistress DragonFlame

Wealthy Werewolf

8,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:01 pm
Thank you very much! My town is Hanford, California. I'm not worried about being stalked, or anything--I have enough sharp and pointies to keep anyone away.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:34 am
I couldn't find Hanford, but I remembered you mentioning Fresno, as well, so I looked that up and came up with:

Barony of Nordwache (Kingdom of Caid)-Fresno, Madera, Kings and Tulare Counties, California.

I don't know anything at all about California's geography, but this probably makes sense to you! The website for Caid is www.sca-caid.com if you'd like to have a look at that. It will have lots of information for you on things that are maybe closer to you than Fresno.  

Arithrel
Crew

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:46 am
If you're in fact near Fresno, the Barony of Nordwache has a Yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baronyofnordwache/ You could join the group, see what's going on that might interest you, and start making friends with some of the folks from your area so you would know someone when you went to your first event or activity. It looks to be a pretty active group with lots going on.

Also, here's the calendar of events for the Kingdom of Caid. http://www.sca-caid.org/calendar/index.php You might find something there that interests you.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:21 pm
It doesn't matter if it intrests me or not--I don't have a car. I am limited by foot power because my mother won't let met get my licence until I'm 18, and even then I have to get a car to use, and a job to pay for the gas, and all that crap. If I can't walk to it, I can't go.

And unless it's a close family friend (someone my mother won't think they'd rape me the first chance they get--so it's someone she knows for a while) I can't hop a ride from someone.

I apprishiate searching this for me, but I can't join until I get a car, and that's in the undetermined future.  

Mistress DragonFlame

Wealthy Werewolf

8,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Full closet 200

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:21 am
Mistress DragonFlame
It doesn't matter if it intrests me or not--I don't have a car. I am limited by foot power because my mother won't let met get my licence until I'm 18, and even then I have to get a car to use, and a job to pay for the gas, and all that crap. If I can't walk to it, I can't go.

And unless it's a close family friend (someone my mother won't think they'd rape me the first chance they get--so it's someone she knows for a while) I can't hop a ride from someone.

I apprishiate searching this for me, but I can't join until I get a car, and that's in the undetermined future.

So maybe we need to convince your Mom that she'd like to play in this game with us too. That way you'd have a built in ride to events.  
Newcomers

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff