Submit

Is God Dead?
  Yes.
  No.
  Who Cares?
View Results

Luciferian56

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:28 pm
"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we not ourselves become gods simply to be worthy of it?

— Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Section 125, tr. Walter Kaufmann"

What is meant by this statement is not that god is physically dead but that the moral codes that revovle around his existance and no longer applicable to modern society. And that was almost 200 years ago.Why should we listen to a book that contains rules and regulations for a culture long defunct. The bok was created back whe anti-semistism was high and anti-homosexuality was high also. Why should we listen to this? This was when blacks were slaves and so were women only without the floggings. I have many christian friends. Though they arent the nicest people about minorities they are fairly good people. I'm not saying that the people who believe in this are wrong for believing in it. I'm just saying the rules set out by the Bible dont really work in modern life. Some will but most wont. Love your enemy. Why should i love someone who would stick a knife in my back the moment he got a chance?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:11 am
Luciferian56
"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we not ourselves become gods simply to be worthy of it?

What is meant by this statement is not that god is physically dead but that the moral codes that revovle around his existance and no longer applicable to modern society. And that was almost 200 years ago.Why should we listen to a book that contains rules and regulations for a culture long defunct. The bok was created back whe anti-semistism was high and anti-homosexuality was high also. Why should we listen to this? This was when blacks were slaves and so were women only without the floggings. I have many christian friends. Though they arent the nicest people about minorities they are fairly good people. I'm not saying that the people who believe in this are wrong for believing in it. I'm just saying the rules set out by the Bible dont really work in modern life. Some will but most wont. Love your enemy. Why should i love someone who would stick a knife in my back the moment he got a chance?
Amen brother...amen...  

There_Goes_My_Decaf

Luciferian56

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:47 pm
There_Goes_My_Decaf
Luciferian56

Amen brother...amen...

Wow someone commented.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:23 am
As with anything in life, everything lies in the application. Is there anything you can gain from applications of the Bible. Possibly. It depends on where you are, and what kinds of things would be useful for that. The entire system in place within the United States works on two things, honor and fear. We expect everyone to act a certain way, and fear the repercussions if they don't. Loving your enemy is finding a way not to carry your enemy's hatred within yourself. It is the ability to bear insults rather than fight any idiot with a mad on. I like some of what Nietzche said, but just becouse he spoke of the death of a deity doesn't make him one. Nietzche also believed the ultimate form of a person was his own "superman" who is a soulless b*****d controlled by his Id and lives to impose his will upon others. Freddy had issues.
Do the views in the Bible reflect its time period: yes. That's why people don't tend to talk much about the book of Leveticus. Are there lessons we can learn from anything if we have open enough eyes willing to focus on ourselves: yes. Any experience in life, or book has the power to do these things if we allow ourselves to reflect upon them.
I have a friend with what I consider to be a very interesting view. All the things in the ten commandments are things that generally produce a feeling of guit. He believes that sin is guilt, and that truly all you have to do is live in a manner that doesn't make you feel guilty.
So, in conclusion. You may wanna stick a knife in my back, and I'll make sure to keep an eye on you so you don't, but beyond that, don't expect my hate. It takes energy to hate that inflicts itself upon the rest of your life. I don't find anyone that important without having earned it. Loving your enemy doesn't mean ignoring danger.  

Naphthalim

dzinae

O.G. Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:51 am
ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:16 am
I wish I too had something deep to say.But I don't,this topic just reminded me of a Nine Inch Nails song xp  

FemmeFatel

Gypsie_boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:13 pm
Naphthalim
As with anything in life, everything lies in the application. Is there anything you can gain from applications of the Bible. Possibly. It depends on where you are, and what kinds of things would be useful for that. The entire system in place within the United States works on two things, honor and fear. We expect everyone to act a certain way, and fear the repercussions if they don't. Loving your enemy is finding a way not to carry your enemy's hatred within yourself. It is the ability to bear insults rather than fight any idiot with a mad on. I like some of what Nietzche said, but just becouse he spoke of the death of a deity doesn't make him one. Nietzche also believed the ultimate form of a person was his own "superman" who is a soulless b*****d controlled by his Id and lives to impose his will upon others. Freddy had issues.
Do the views in the Bible reflect its time period: yes. That's why people don't tend to talk much about the book of Leveticus. Are there lessons we can learn from anything if we have open enough eyes willing to focus on ourselves: yes. Any experience in life, or book has the power to do these things if we allow ourselves to reflect upon them.
I have a friend with what I consider to be a very interesting view. All the things in the ten commandments are things that generally produce a feeling of guit. He believes that sin is guilt, and that truly all you have to do is live in a manner that doesn't make you feel guilty.
So, in conclusion. You may wanna stick a knife in my back, and I'll make sure to keep an eye on you so you don't, but beyond that, don't expect my hate. It takes energy to hate that inflicts itself upon the rest of your life. I don't find anyone that important without having earned it. Loving your enemy doesn't mean ignoring danger.

As to the backstabbing, isn't it only guilt ridden if you want it to be? I mean, if I was raised to believe that sort of thing was honorable, then would I think it is guilty? By your friends logic, not killing someone would be a sin.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:30 pm
Finally, someone who agrees with me! GOD is dead ^_^  

Roaming Anarchist

Wind-Whisper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:45 pm
That's all right, God loves you too whether you believe in him or not. And when he looks upon you on the Day of Judgement, please remember that you had your chance in life to turn to him, and you'll have no one to blame but yourself.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:58 am
Everyone, of course, is entitled to their own opinion regaurdless of how more or less educated it may be.  

chibi_kasumi_108

xxxMRS_LOVETTxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:54 pm
god is dead... in the sense that the people of today have completely destroyed her (god is FEMALE in my mind) image, her dreams, and everything about her and the bible.
God wanted people to be happy, live life to the fullest, and all that crap and yet they have taken her Religion and added so many rules... apparently everything that they do is "for god"
god wants to be believed in.... she wants people to have faith in her.... but people have ruined it... like usual...

that is why Wiccan religion is for me.... and Mother Nature... atleast this is what I think.... is fixxing her mistakes.... Hurricans, Tidal Waves, Natural Disasters... slowly killing offf the Human race.... WOOT!!

((wow.... I really sound crazy right there.... like actually mentally crazy... but I'm not.... I just think straight... sorta... sweatdrop ))  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:31 pm
Gypsie_boy

As to the backstabbing, isn't it only guilt ridden if you want it to be? I mean, if I was raised to believe that sort of thing was honorable, then would I think it is guilty? By your friends logic, not killing someone would be a sin.

It maye be going slightly off the whole "Gid is dead" thing (brilliant quote, interesting guy - if you haven't you should read "When Nietzsche Wept") but it's worth commenting, I think.

I think that growing up with different morals would not make not backstabbing a sin because a sin generally is linked to the Bible which talks against backstabbing razz Nonetheless it's an interesting point to bring up.

If we (somehow) were able to grow up with no one teaching us morals either way (be it "killing is good" or "killing is bad"), if we grew up neutral in those terms, would we find that there is some "basic" sense of morality? I remember dicussing this in Philosophy of Contemporary Moral Problems once, but I don't remember the outcome. Still. Isn't interesting that most people, of various cultures, find unnesseraily killing someone a bad thing? Some religions/cultures support the killing of others for certain reasons (religion, celebratory, etc) but generally not for the heck of it. As far as Western civilization goes, all rules basically narrow down to "don't hurt other people" and if one has instincts opposing that, say if one thinks killing people is good, they are categorized under some sort of mental health problem.

It makes you think, though.

Is it human nature to not harm or is something that society come up so we could all coexist peacefully when civilizations got large enough we actually had to live close to each other and even close to neighboring tribes?

Personaly it's instinctive. But then again, it was taught to me since birth.  

WakeUpaLlama

Efstathios

Girl-Crazy Noob

3,050 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:18 pm
Honestly I think the bible was written with an agenda. At least the old testament.

Considering it says it's a sin to enslave Jewish people, but they can enslave everyone else. And other similar rules it makes.

Also the fact that so much of it resembles the Code of Hammurabi.

It's all either plagiarised or written with a clear agenda.

Aside from that though, I do think that if you read closely enough and consider you can find some good lessons, particularly in the new testament. I just wouldn't take the entire book as literal fact.

So, since that was never God in the first place, I wouldn't consider it in an arguement of whether God is dead. I think God is dead for other reasons, or rather slowly dying.

I agree with the Wiccan above who said Gaea is reclaiming her own, she turned New Orleans back into the swamp it originally was.
People are going to have to adapt to live in the world they have destroyed, I just wish more of them would see it, and do something about it.

Since this post is so long already...I'll just say I like the idea that people should live in a manner that doesn't give them guilt, that's cool and sounds like a good measurement to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:30 am
i dont think god is real so ya he is dead  

emojonjon

The Seasick Sailor

Benevolent Lunatic

7,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:26 pm
Basic Philosiphy: Trust in yourself, your heart, and what you feel. Don't deny yourself, and you'll be enlightened. Hahaha! I think that philosiphy has made me a little more... evil? But I don't mind--it's meant to be, right?  
46: Anarchist's Manifesto

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff