Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Here's 10 gold for coming
  10 gold
View Results

Caerwiden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:50 am
Has anyone else ever wondered if the gods can understand English? For example, surely the greek gods like Athena and Demeter would only be able to understand Ancient Greek. Would that mean that if as a pagan who wants to exclusively worship gods from a particular region (like the greek gods or the celtic gods) you should use the gods' native language in prayers and rituals (sort of like the way Roman Catholics use Latin and Jews use Hebrew) or at least their closest modern counterpart (like speaking Welsh or Irish instead of the old British language)?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am
I'd imagine so, I mean telepathic thought waves on a god level should make it so they can speak your language, although speaking their language would probably give you more magical power.  

Guitarhero356

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:41 pm
My view of the Gods is that They are all connected to us, so I don't think that language would be a problem.

But maybe the Gods learn new languages as well? Hmm, this is a good question.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:38 am
Language itself is usually linked to gods, directly. Odin, for one, pierced himself with a spear and dangled from Yggdrasil to uncover the secret of runes...I doubt he'd have trouble learning english, if he can put up with that.  

Eric Wolfborn

Pelta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:18 am
Perhaps some gods speak in symbols that your mind then translates so you can understand. I'm sure if they really want to get their point across they will.

Then again there's the importance of the language itself in your dealings with gods. For example the Kabbalic rituals can only be done in Hebrew because much of their emphasis is on the words, pronunciation and characters themselves.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:29 am
I really don't think that the gods take a night college course on languages, or even learn teh separate ones.. So I think that your thoughts are enough for them to understand. They arn't humans, so I would think their communication skills are different from ours.

For a broad example, I think its kind of like how different species of animals can communicate to eachother through body language and universal sounds of danger and such. They all don't make the same sounds yet they can convey messages to eachother. Humans and gods may not make the same communication noises to eachother but they still understand.

Just an idea. It's (my post) not really well put together as I just thought of it while typing it out..

Creepy Albino Fish

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:50 am
I've always felt that the gods were above petty things like verbal language. I mean, they're creators of the universe, magic, and everything else; they gave us language (or at least Toth gave it to the Egyptians)! I started out very ecclectic in my practice, so I worked with a variety of pantheons. Whether it was Egyptian, Greco-Roman, Celtic or Norse, I've never had a problem with making myself understood or understanding responces. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:02 am
Creepy Albino Fish
I really don't think that the gods take a night college course on languages, or even learn teh separate ones.. So I think that your thoughts are enough for them to understand. They arn't humans, so I would think their communication skills are different from ours.

For a broad example, I think its kind of like how different species of animals can communicate to eachother through body language and universal sounds of danger and such. They all don't make the same sounds yet they can convey messages to eachother. Humans and gods may not make the same communication noises to eachother but they still understand.

Just an idea. It's (my post) not really well put together as I just thought of it while typing it out..
"Alright, now as this is the first clas of Modern Languages 101, I'm going to take attendance."

"Hera?"

"Here."

"Zeus?"

"Here."

"Bachus?"

"I should be drinking!"

"That's nice Bachus. Loki?"

"Loki? Damnit, he's playing hooky again."

I seem to be in a quite irreverent mood this morning biggrin  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:13 am
Nihilistic Seraph

I seem to be in a quite irreverent mood this morning biggrin

No more so than when I picture CuChullain and his mullet hunkered down in front of a TV set button mashing away to any of a variety of fighter games. He thinks it's great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:22 am
Tell him that the Soul Calibur series is awesome biggrin  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:49 am
Nihilistic Seraph
Tell him that the Soul Calibur series is awesome biggrin

... He now wants to play.

And I have no gaming systems. stare

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:09 am
How's this then. Next time I play, I'll invite Him to watch, or play through me, whatever He wants biggrin  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:28 am
Nihilistic Seraph
How's this then. Next time I play, I'll invite Him to watch, or play through me, whatever He wants biggrin

I'm sure he'll be thrilled. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:10 pm
i don't think it matters  

Gerra

Draoi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:47 am
I would say yes, they can understand English, for two reasons:

1) They're gods/goddesses.. Do you really think understanding a language is beyond them?

2) It's really the intent behind the words, not the actual words, that can connect us to the gods/goddesses.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff