Submit

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:54 pm
After much deliberation i have chosen a goddess to follow finaly searching myself the only one who felt right was isis when i was young i was insane about egyption mythology im thinking about going with greek for my god though because it was another religion that has always interested and inspired me.
Now the questions
Who works with isis and is there any books i should look up or any tips you could give me ?
Please give me some names of greek gods who you have had succes with and wouldnt really be a contradiction to Isis.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:28 pm
Technically, Isis is the Hellenic name of the Egyptian deity. She in turn can be seen as a transfer of the earlier Innana/Ishtar.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:31 pm
WebenBanu knows the most about the Egyptian deities, being a Kemetic Reconstructionist herself. If you are seeking a male guide in a Wiccan-esque perspective, I'd ask Isis's input. While I have not worked with her, some female deities prefer to stay with their culturally defined partner. In this case, it would be Osiris.

Who's always been my favorite and probably watched over my freaky, nerdy child-self. heart

Edit:
I forgot the whole name thing... xp  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:42 pm
Well, I tend to think of Thoth and Djht as two seperate deities...  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:59 pm
wow i didnt know that about the name thingy!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:34 pm
I think it's that the Greek names for the Egyptian deities were all out and around before the Rosetta stone was found.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:37 pm
Ja, ja. ...It makes me curious, though, if the Kemetic patheon would be sensitive to what name you referred to them as, if they feel that the Greek names are also those of other beings. I'm guessing the best way to find this answer would be to determine the attitude of the Ancient Egyptians, themselves, about such matters.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:11 am
I only know about the pharaoh's from the Discovery Channel documentaries. Ishtar seems like such a familar name to me; I wonder where I learned it from...

Edit: I have been looking for the link to Isis, Ishtar and Innana, but I can't seem to find them. I find Innana and Ishtar linked as the same goddess, but no mention of Isis. Can someone send me a link or suggest a book?

Edit 2: And wouldn't it be better to use the name you are more attached to? Just for emotional and connection purposes?  

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:37 am
mouseyanna
I only know about the pharaoh's from like discovery chanal documentaries. Ishtar seems like such a familar name to me i wonder where i learned it from.

Ishtar is an Assyrian/Sumerian goddess, and her name is often given in the list of names many Wiccan authors use when offering praise to the Goddess. You've probably seen it in things like the Charge of the Goddess":

"Listen to the words of the Great Goddess
who in ancient times was named Artemis, Diana, Astarte, Ishtar..."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:37 am
Ishtar is Assyrian, while Innana is Sumerian.

And the first deity ever to be associated with the planet Venus. Beat that Aphrodite biggrin  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:09 am
A point has been raised though- would the Kemetic deities take offense to their Greek names, possibly seeing the names as those of other entities, or do they have a more relaxed attitude toward such a matter?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:44 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Technically, Isis is the Hellenic name of the Egyptian deity. She in turn can be seen as a transfer of the earlier Innana/Ishtar.

Hellenic name? Um, what's Hellenic? sweatdrop But that's VERY interesting! I didn't know that. I'm still very new to this path, but I've chosen a god and goddess to follow, Horus and Isis, and I've research them some, and I never came across that! eek I guess I need to find better resources on them. sweatdrop  

x0DarkTiger0x

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:15 pm
x0DarkTiger0x
Nihilistic Seraph

Hellenic name? Um, what's Hellenic? sweatdrop But that's VERY interesting! I didn't know that. I'm still very new to this path, but I've chosen a god and goddess to follow, Horus and Isis, and I've research them some, and I never came across that! eek I guess I need to find better resources on them. sweatdrop
Hellenic = Greek. You do not often come upon it, for it's not considered "need-to-know" information.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff