Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Hate slang? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Beeing Literate
  The Tv of course.
  Other people.
  beeing lazy.
  I dont know about you but i like slang.
View Results

ch4nel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:21 pm
Don't you just hate slang? Its every where. Why is it so hard to put a couple more letters to make a real word? You just look stupid. For example : "YOO"
When you could add two letters to make "hello" Or "was up" When you could be literate and say "how are you" Where do you think most people are learning this?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:17 pm
Drives me crazy.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

XToxic-ShockX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:40 pm
Someone actually understands how I feel about correct grammar. I don't mind it too much. When it is overly used, that is what upsets me. I hate it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:11 pm
Dont Don't, Its It's, stupide stupid, Were Where

I think some slang is fine and indeed part of speech. However, slang should never outweigh classical speech, as this leads to dumbing down.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Croakers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:47 pm
Personally, I don't view that as slang. Slang is, well, like saying dancin' instead of dancing. Or using one of the slang words used in real life, person to person social interaction. What you are describing is more of lazy abbreviation.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:25 am
Yami no Hitokiri

I think some slang is fine and indeed part of speech. However, slang should never outweigh classical speech, as this leads to dumbing down.
Me too. Just a few words here and there are fine but if your entire conversation is slang then that is painfull to listen to.  

dark_elf

ch4nel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:44 am
MindfreakLoyal
Someone actually understands how I feel about correct grammar. I don't mind it too much. When it is overly used, that is what upsets me. I hate it.

Lol. Yes. I just don't like how people use all spang, in a conversation. For example.

" Yo was up ..na man na."

Stuff like that. I dont mind if you say things like, "Dont" Instead of "Don't" I dont consider that a bad type of slang.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:47 am
Yami no Hitokiri

Yes. I agree. 3nodding
Sometime's I use that kind of slang, but only when im in a hurry. Like I did it in my first post, with not even realizeing I did it. >_<  

ch4nel

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:58 am
creaturelover00
Personally, I don't view that as slang. Slang is, well, like saying dancin' instead of dancing. Or using one of the slang words used in real life, person to person social interaction. What you are describing is more of lazy abbreviation.
I treat that more as an implied accent, than slang. I imply accents a fair few times, myself.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:30 pm
becca3567
MindfreakLoyal

Lol. Yes. I just don't like how people use all spang, in a conversation. For example.

Stuff like that. I dont mind if you say things like, "Dont" Instead of "Don't" I dont consider that a bad type of slang.
Okay, I really don't want to be a grammar Nazi, but FOR THE LOVE this is the GRAMMAR GUILD!!!!

Dont instead of Don't is not slang... it is incorrect grammar.

gonk Sorry, I just couldn't take it anymore. SIGH. Painful.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

[Riyuu]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:17 am
I use slang sometimes becos' it's funny, I like to use it to make fun of those people.

It amuses me.

But, in general, Ebonics should die.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:49 am
Riyuu-Rae
I use slang sometimes becos' it's funny, I like to use it to make fun of those people.

It amuses me.

But, in general, Ebonics should die.

Hahaha.  

ch4nel

ch4nel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:52 am
Kipluck
becca3567
MindfreakLoyal

Okay, I really don't want to be a grammar Nazi, but FOR THE LOVE this is the GRAMMAR GUILD!!!!

Dont instead of Don't is not slang... it is incorrect grammar.

gonk Sorry, I just couldn't take it anymore. SIGH. Painful.

Yes. You got a point there, but it's still a type of slang to me. In slang, you use bad grammar. Just like spelling "don't" incorrectly.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:08 pm
I honestly do not mind slang at all.
I grew up in a nighborhood and community where EVERYONE used slang, even my teachers. (well, most of them did ... not really the odler ones)

I use slang when I am out with my friends, at home ... most of the time.
But as you can see, I can be literate and speak with good grammar and correct spelling.
btw: most people hate it when I talk like I am typing now. It drives them crazy.

Ind1v1dual

Invisible Gaian

Borerai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 pm
god 61% of the homes in california don't even speak english....and now almost everyone uses slang.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff