Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Weekly show and tell for 8/20 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gold?
gold.
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 8

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:29 pm
So it's a little late, but no one else was putting it up, and I thought I'd go ahead and do it. Post pics or just talk about what crafty things you've been up to lately!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:34 pm
I've been promising to post pictures of what I've been working on for a while, not that any of you really care (I doubt most of you even know who I am emo ) but here's a couple of things I've done...sorta recently.

I read tarot, so I made bags for two of my decks. The one on the right is the newest one. It's made of a silk yarn (can't remember what it's called). The other is a couple months old now, but I like it. I knited it to look like a tarot card, specificly the Empress. The second image is the back of that bag.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

LadyAnubis

gemini6184

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:52 pm
Well I know I posted about this in another thread, but this is my latest project
User Image

They're toy bears, for my boyfriend's twin siblings 8th birthday. I got the pattern here, but I changed it around a tad. And added tails, which I totally forgot to get a picture of gonk But the twins loved them 4laugh And my hands only took a couple days to recover from all that work on size 3 needles xp

Right now I'm finishing a lovely cabled sweater from Irresistible Knits called "Siobhan" for this fall. heart

Edit: Sweater finished! And fits great, though i'd be too embarrassed to post pics because I've gained weight this summer, and it unfortunately doesn't do much for me. sweatdrop
@Kiwi: Cute!!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:17 pm
Well, I didn't make it this week (school started), but I made it last week for a friend's birthday.

KiwiDragon

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:13 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Let's see... I finished spinning my first skein of yarn (tiny tho it may be). I also finished my Soleil tank (I'll try to get pictures up of that soon). Right now, I'm working on 2 pairs of Seaside Espadrilles. I'm modifying the pattern a bit by knitting the tops and felting them. My mom's a diabetic and her feet are ultra sensitive, so I'm knitting up matching felted inserts to put in the bottom of her sandals. I'm about halfway done with that. Hardest part is finding time to felt the suckers. gonk crying  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:13 am
Gemini, those are so cute!  

LadyAnubis

KiwiDragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:19 am
I really wish I could knit and crochet. I can do like a string in each one...but that's it! xd Everyone's project are great!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:16 am
LadyAnubis
Thanks! I want to make more, cuz I think they are just adorable, but my arthritis gonk  

gemini6184

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:38 pm
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
Thanks! I want to make more, cuz I think they are just adorable, but my arthritis gonk
I know what you mean. I crochet anime plushes, but I've only made two because my carple tunnel is so bad.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:50 pm
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
I know what you mean. I crochet anime plushes, but I've only made two because my carple tunnel is so bad.
I think I'm going to try some joint medicine my boyfriend has. I think those plushies would be a huge hit at the craft fair we're doing next summer, but I'd have to make my own pattern sweatdrop the author wrote specifically that products made with her pattern cant be sold  

gemini6184

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:17 pm
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
I think I'm going to try some joint medicine my boyfriend has. I think those plushies would be a huge hit at the craft fair we're doing next summer, but I'd have to make my own pattern sweatdrop the author wrote specifically that products made with her pattern cant be sold
Making your own pattern isn't hard. I can't read standard patterns (abbreviations can DIE), so everything I make is free form. I'm working on a sweater right now, and all my plushes, cosplay stuff, etc, is just made by looking at existing pieces and the shapes they are made from.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:46 am
Sorry I haven't been on much, life has a way of interupting me before I get to the forums.
Anyway, my daughter and I have been working on scarves to donate to our local ferret shelter so they can sell them at craft fairs. Hopefully people like them enough to buy them. We're using soft, multi-colored yarns and simple crochet stitches. I also plan to make clothespin angels when I find the metalic thread I need to crochet the wings and halos. They sold well for me when I had my own table, so hopefully they can make some money for the ferrets too.
I recently bought some "shrinky dinks" plastic sheets and I'm playing with ideas for that. When I get the time I plan to look through my black and white clip art and see if I have anything that's easy to trace and color. Perhaps some pens with metallic ink would be a good investment too.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:48 pm
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
Making your own pattern isn't hard. I can't read standard patterns (abbreviations can DIE), so everything I make is free form. I'm working on a sweater right now, and all my plushes, cosplay stuff, etc, is just made by looking at existing pieces and the shapes they are made from.
I can make my own, I've just never done a plushie pattern before. I'll prolly use that one as a reference. As for reading standard patterns, it took me all of an hour to figure them out. knitting.about.com has a glossary that tells you what the abbreviations mean and links for instructions (even some animations!) on how to do most every one. It took me bout an hour maybe two just surfing through there, and it makes a great reference page. If my net was working better I would post the link but I don't trust the school network right now sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:08 pm
@LadyAnubis--Wow! That's so cool! Is that Fairisle? If it is, is it hard to do? I'm not very advanced at knitting yet, but I keep finding all sorts of cool Fairisle patterns that I can't wait to try. ^_^

@gemini6184--Those are so cute! 4laugh I'm glad the kids liked them; they look great!

When I get the chance to snatch my brother's camera I'll take pictures of my finished and current pieces. Right now I'm working on knitting my first afghan (I'm, like, OBSESSED with afghans). I really like it. The base is black and for the patterned parts I'm using rainbow colours. The book I found the pattern in has about 14 more patterns and I plan to try them all!

I'll be sure to get pics when I can. I'm actually very proud of it so far. whee  

MarchingTwinkie3

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:17 pm
MarchingTwinkie3
Wow! That's so cool! Is that Fairisle? If it is, is it hard to do? I'm not very advanced at knitting yet, but I keep finding all sorts of cool Fairisle patterns that I can't wait to try. ^_^

That is my own bastardized version of fairisle. I was changing colors so much I just decided to carry the yarn instead of cutting it (I HATE weaving it ends). It wasn't that hard, but if you want to try it, 1. start with a small project (like a bag), and 2. use short lengths of yarn, rather than a whole skane at a time. When you use a lot of colors, it's prone to tangling, and it's a lot easier to untangle if you're only working with four or five feet at a time. Some people suggest putting each skane in a small ziploc so it doesn't unwind, but I tend to get really small knots I can't pull a skane through, hence the short lengths.

Also, when you change colors, here's a tip: lift the old color up, pass the new color behind it, knit one stitch, then knit a stitch with the tail. If you to it right, the old tail will be locked in place, and by knitting once or twice with the new tail, you'll keep it from getting loose or having huge gaps between colors. I'd post a pic to clarify, but I've got so many carried threads on that project I don't think you could decipher it. sweatdrop  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff