Submit

Is that fair?
  Yes, they are offencive comics
  No, there just jokes and fine
  Other: post
View Results

MOD66

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:37 pm
Ok I’m decorating my binder(since school starts tomorrow) and I decide to put some OMGs comics (Here)on them and when I’m done I bring down the binders to show to my, supposedly open minded father(step dad technically but I’m call him dad) and he points to my picture that says "Pagan Pride" and says, that ones up to you but you can't have this one:

User Image

Then he starts off on how it will offend people and goes back to other ones that he just didn't seem to mind and says I can't leave them on

the other ones were :
User Image

User Image

I kind of understand the first one it is a little harsh but its not like I put the "Kiddy coral, the new Pagan veal" on there but they're jokes what do you think?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:27 pm
I see no problem with the last two. None at all.
The first one, though... The people at the school might ask you to remove it, if your father doesn't make you.
That last one is great, because it shows that Religious intolerance works both ways. [nods]
And that second one is just freaking hilarious.

Winter Black
Crew

MOD66

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:38 pm
Winter Black
I see no problem with the last two. None at all.
The first one, though... The people at the school might ask you to remove it, if your father doesn't make you.
That last one is great, because it shows that Religious intolerance works both ways. [nods]
And that second one is just freaking hilarious.
exactly im willing to remove the first one but the last one is my POV with curses, you curse me and i curse you im not going to sit back and let some one hex me. And yes the second one is a joke on Discordia(i belive) or Norse belives.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:13 pm
Well I can't see the pics, but that's because Job Corps has photo bucket blocked (go figure on that one). But the first image hmmmvirginbloodgoodhairgel.jpg, if that's what it's about, yeah, I can see maybe a promblem with that one. The smoting, I see no prob with, and the middle one, I don't know which on that is about. Just says bumper sticker. sweatdrop

But I've printed many of the comics out and have them on my cork board. Though I'm really the only one who gets the jokes, I don't have many pagan friends here. But I'm careful not to print any that would be offensive to my christian friends. Like the ones pokeing fun at that priest (can't think of his name) or the pope.

But just put your self in their shoes and make sure their not offensive. You don't want to step on their toes as much as you don't want them to step on yours. biggrin

But that's just my advice. ^_^  

x0DarkTiger0x

MOD66

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:26 pm
x0DarkTiger0x
Well I can't see the pics, but that's because Job Corps has photo bucket blocked (go figure on that one). But the first image hmmmvirginbloodgoodhairgel.jpg, if that's what it's about, yeah, I can see maybe a promblem with that one. The smoting, I see no prob with, and the middle one, I don't know which on that is about. Just says bumper sticker. sweatdrop

But I've printed many of the comics out and have them on my cork board. Though I'm really the only one who gets the jokes, I don't have many pagan friends here. But I'm careful not to print any that would be offensive to my christian friends. Like the ones pokeing fun at that priest (can't think of his name) or the pope.

But just put your self in their shoes and make sure their not offensive. You don't want to step on their toes as much as you don't want them to step on yours. biggrin

But that's just my advice. ^_^
yah i agree and will take the first one off and replace it

The second one is the Futhnark(sp) kids saying they have jesus adn that the cheerleader wont get him back untill she pays the randsome

The Third one is when Funde starts to get Smote-happy and Vera replys "Now that your done cursing me in your religon, its my turn right?"  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:14 pm
Well im replaceing the ones that they didn't like and im puting thouse in my locker lol  

MOD66

justGhostie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:06 pm
oh lol, i was going to tell you to put them back on your binder when you got to school and like, take them off when you got home or soemthign

...or you could pin them onto your backpack and demand the first amendment xd  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:33 pm
I agree with your dad on the first one, but the other two aren't bad.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

MOD66

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:27 pm
~Ghost of a Rose~
oh lol, i was going to tell you to put them back on your binder when you got to school and like, take them off when you got home or soemthign

...or you could pin them onto your backpack and demand the first amendment xd
im not 18 my parents can revoke that right becuse I live in THERE house, so i'll just put them in my locker today  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:10 pm
There are quite a few OMGs comics with content that isn't school appropriate, and displaying them publicly may break some of your school's rules, not to mention tick off some students, and their parents. Nothing has more pull in a school district than a whiny parent.

Look over the dress code and see what messages can't be put on clothing, and then apply that to your comic decorations. That's usually a safe bet.  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200

MOD66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:21 pm
Azana Brown
There are quite a few OMGs comics with content that isn't school appropriate, and displaying them publicly may break some of your school's rules, not to mention tick off some students, and their parents. Nothing has more pull in a school district than a whiny parent.

Look over the dress code and see what messages can't be put on clothing, and then apply that to your comic decorations. That's usually a safe bet.
There fine no rules broken, ‘cept my parents and I just now figured out how to open my s**t hole of a locker so there nut up yet, but alls good and I could care if a parent whines about my religion, I'm not their kid or anything... oh and have you guys see the shirt that says "I’m the kid your parents warned you about" I saw a different one it was on some kid at the first day "I’m the Christian Satan warned you about" I was so tempted to say something about how I haven't talked to Satan in ages and how would he know what he had told me but I held my tong fearing the holy water and angry mobs, holy water tastes bad xp  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:57 pm
Twack
There fine no rules broken, ‘cept my parents and I just now figured out how to open my s**t hole of a locker so there nut up yet, but alls good and I could care if a parent whines about my religion, I'm not their kid or anything... oh and have you guys see the shirt that says "I’m the kid your parents warned you about" I saw a different one it was on some kid at the first day "I’m the Christian Satan warned you about" I was so tempted to say something about how I haven't talked to Satan in ages and how would he know what he had told me but I held my tong fearing the holy water and angry mobs, holy water tastes bad xp

See I was more inclined to say that the first comic is offensive and the other two are borderline, but honestly its an attitude like this that makes me think you really shouldn't have those comics on your binder.

It's one thing to have something funny on your binder that you and your friends can laugh at and that leaves an opening for explination and learning to others. It is an entirely different matter if you are just trying to cause conflict and upset for the sake of it.

That kid with the Christian shirt might be a little geeky, but seriously there isn't anything wrong with making a strong statement about being a good solid Christian. I know several geeky people who are devout Catholics who might wear a shirt like that and if you said something like that to them I would tell you the hell off. Seriously why do people feel the urge to give other religions s**t becasue they don't follow them? It would be like him going up to do and commenting on how all pagans are going to hell because you're wearing a pagan pride button.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:48 pm
I hate to say it Twack, but I do agree with your parents and with what blindfaith^_^ has said.

I've read Oh My Gods! and while they've had a few good and original jokes, I find most of the material relies on bad stereotypes. Is that really how you want to portray yourself? You want the freedom to express your beliefs, but those comics, especially the ones you've selected, make fun of Christians, and that's simply not cool. It's disrespectful, and your parents are trying to keep you from getting into trouble at school. It's going to take one student to see that and get upset, go home and tell their parents and you'll have a whole world of trouble. Just because you wanted to get in a dig. It could lead to you being expelled from school, and if you think you're parents are giving you a hard time now, just wait until it hits the fan.

Honestly, not they're not saying to remove the comics to try and repress you; they have your best interest in mind. They can simply see a little bit more into the situation than you can right now; age brings perspective, and when you're as old as they are, you'll see how foolishly rebellious it was. And as a Pagan, who plans on being a Pagan parent one day, I wouldn't let my kids have comics like those on their binders or in their lockers either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:08 pm
blindfaith^_^
Twack

See I was more inclined to say that the first comic is offensive and the other two are borderline, but honestly its an attitude like this that makes me think you really shouldn't have those comics on your binder.

It's one thing to have something funny on your binder that you and your friends can laugh at and that leaves an opening for explination and learning to others. It is an entirely different matter if you are just trying to cause conflict and upset for the sake of it.

That kid with the Christian shirt might be a little geeky, but seriously there isn't anything wrong with making a strong statement about being a good solid Christian. I know several geeky people who are devout Catholics who might wear a shirt like that and if you said something like that to them I would tell you the hell off. Seriously why do people feel the urge to give other religions s**t becasue they don't follow them? It would be like him going up to do and commenting on how all pagans are going to hell because you're wearing a pagan pride button.
please just chill im not trying to start an argument and that coment was just to be funny to and yes holy water dose taste bad it's stale, i drank a bottle of it to prove to a friend i wasnt evil, long story,The point of the comics on my binder was to make me stay in a good mood. and it wasn't that i wanted to give him s**t becase of his religon its what the shirt implied that i had talked to satan which ticks me off.  

MOD66

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:23 pm
Twack
please just chill im not trying to start an argument and that coment was just to be funny to and yes holy water dose taste bad it's stale, i drank a bottle of it to prove to a friend i wasnt evil, long story,The point of the comics on my binder was to make me stay in a good mood. and it wasn't that i wanted to give him s**t becase of his religon its what the shirt implied that i had talked to satan which ticks me off.

I am plenty calm. What you do and don't do really isn't my business its up to you and your parents.

However, I would disagree about you trying to start an arguement. You must be aware of how Anti-Christian the comics come off, not to say they aren't funny, because they do make me laugh, just I wouldn't throw them out there next to my "Pagan and Proud" sticker as a representation of me and my beliefs. People will react badly and while this does not mean one should immediately not do something, one does have to stop and look at why. If to you the reasoning is stupid thats fine, but know that when you gather others thoughts some of them are destined to be different.

As far as joking, you can see even in a pagan "community" where the majority of us aren't Christian we can not tell (partly from the lack of tone on the interenet) whether or not you are joking and that the combination of the comics and the seemingly Anti-Christian senitments makes you come off looking prejudice. Not to say you are because I's sure that's neither your intention or truth, but is that the image of yourself you want strangers or people who barely know you to walk away with?  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff