The Garb Thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you sew your own garb?
  Yes! And I love it!
  No! Needles make me bleed!
  Of course! I hand sew it, with period materials.
  I'd go naked if they'd still let me fight!
View Results

TheSteven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:51 pm
Just wondering, where's the thread to show off our threads? Half the fun of the SCA is the costuming, so I found it quite distressing that besides the event posts there wasn't a place to showcase the garb. Unless i'm completely blind, of course.

User Image

I made this one in 2004 for the parade before the Bulkley Valley Exhibition/a fall fair demo. (at least... I THINK it was 2004. :/) It was later destroyed and made into details on another dress, hats, and some stuff for my friend's daughter.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:32 am
I love you Jess. heart

And yes, it ws 2004.  

starfire_dragonqueen

TheSteven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:56 pm
starfire_dragonqueen
I love you Jess. heart

And yes, it ws 2004.

Thank you for remembering. My brain is like a sieve.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:46 pm
I do make my own garb, but it's not really that detailed. My first piece I'm very proud of... I hand sewed it (during math class!) back in high school. The rest... well... I have a couple shifts, a sideless surcote, and four bog dresses. I like bog dresses. Two straight seams ftw! I do have this twelve gore dress that I kinda screwed up on, so I still need to hem it and line it. Hopefully it'll hold up for a few events, I'm thinking about wearing it to the next non-outdoor event I go to (maybe if 12th night is ever closer to me again...)

Now that I have a little more time (and a little more money for better materials and period type fabrics... cotton was getting really old) I'm going to be making some nice 14th century stuff, hopefully.  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:05 pm
I'm in the process of making the below picture.

What's really sad is that I still can't seem to find fabric that would look right.

User Image

That, and I'm allergic to the stuff that does.

I hate allergies.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:46 pm
it looks like a basic t-tunic or kirtle with a skirt and a wrap. What sort of fabrics are you allergic to?  

TheSteven

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:44 pm
TheSteven
it looks like a basic t-tunic or kirtle with a skirt and a wrap. What sort of fabrics are you allergic to?

Yes, but I'm looking at more period construction. It's a lot of fabric (and I'm a novice sewer).

EVERYTHING...at least, seemingly. Polyester and nylon are my two biggies, but I don't do well with wool, either. The thing is, most modern brocades and upholstery material, what I've been looking at for garb is, guess what, polyester and/or nylon.

And far too expensive.

Couldn't I just be a commoner? razz  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:01 pm
I actually reccomend splurging on the tunic/kirtle and going with natural or natural blends like cotton/linnen. This way, you have a hypoallergenic, all purpose under-dress.

If you make it full length, you may have the option of going with those nice modern brocades for the skirt, as it won't be touching your skin for an extended period of time.

The wrap... I'm not too sure about.  

TheSteven

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:02 pm
TheSteven
I actually reccomend splurging on the tunic/kirtle and going with natural or natural blends like cotton/linnen. This way, you have a hypoallergenic, all purpose under-dress.

If you make it full length, you may have the option of going with those nice modern brocades for the skirt, as it won't be touching your skin for an extended period of time.

The wrap... I'm not too sure about.

Plan on it. There's a reason my mundane wardrobe is nearly all cotton.

I don't know if you're familiar with East Roman clothing, as it's pretty simplistic (and vestment companies are STILL making a mint on that same type of clothes!), and the dress is a one piece. I know it doesn't with my drawing, but just doing line draw right there.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:51 pm
biggrin still though, you'll be able to use it for a number of different dresses.  

TheSteven

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:06 pm
Dragostae
TheSteven

Yes, but I'm looking at more period construction. It's a lot of fabric (and I'm a novice sewer).

EVERYTHING...at least, seemingly. Polyester and nylon are my two biggies, but I don't do well with wool, either. The thing is, most modern brocades and upholstery material, what I've been looking at for garb is, guess what, polyester and/or nylon.

And far too expensive.

Couldn't I just be a commoner? razz
What? Polyester brocade? xp I'm really suprised you can't find anything else... that's kind of weird... I'm way not helpful, sorry. I'd suggest a few places to look for silk brocaide... but you aren't in my area, and like you said, money's an issue. Hm. Wait- if you had a nice cotton underdress, maybe you could use a polysester for the kirtle.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:13 pm
And on an unrelated note-- I'm a major sicko.

I made my newbie friend a pair of anglo-saxon tunics in black linen, and one of them is completely covered in white runes. Twice around the hem and cuffs, and down each arm. The collar is bound in white. The runes read as the lyrics to the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.

He doesn't read runes, and has no idea what it says. whee  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:11 pm
I looooove making my own garb. I started off with my mom helping me sew anything that was more difficult than a straight line, but now I'm making a 14th century french gown and a side lacing bodice with my own alterations on the patterns. (because they weren't quite accurate...) I can't wait to debut them... they're not my first pieces, but they're the first things I've started to make since I got more confidence and moved on to nicer materials. Now I've got a bunch of friends hounding me to help them improve their sewing!! teehee... I love that. I'll post pictures when I have my own internet connection again.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:20 pm
Kittywitch
And on an unrelated note-- I'm a major sicko.

I made my newbie friend a pair of anglo-saxon tunics in black linen, and one of them is completely covered in white runes. Twice around the hem and cuffs, and down each arm. The collar is bound in white. The runes read as the lyrics to the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.

He doesn't read runes, and has no idea what it says. whee

Marry me. Please. biggrin You Runed the Ultimate Showdown!  

TheSteven

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:19 pm
well .... I don't make my own - but please keep in mind I only just turned 16 Aug.22nd ..... But my mother has AMAZING SEWING SKILLS, and thus she makes my garb for me redface

BUT!! but she loves making it!! So ... That's my one saving grace! rofl

Here's a picture of my favourite combination.

User Image

My mom made everything but the corset biggrin But she wants to learn to make corsets too!! 3nodding But she can't find a propper patern anywhere crying

But yeah .... not the best picture in the world but this was after wearing it for a few hours - sitting in a movie theatre! xd I HAD to wear it when I went to see Pirates - Dead Man's Chest!! xd I just HAD to!! xd  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff