Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
New Spelling for the US? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So if we were to change the United State's primary langage all together, what should we chage it to?
  Japanese
  Latin
  What does this have to do with anything?
View Results

Lissiwen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:57 pm
A Call For Simpler Spelling

When "say," "they" and "weigh" rhyme, but "bomb," "comb" and "tomb" don't, wuudn't it maek mor sens to spel wurdz the wae thae sound?

Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Opponents say a new system would make spelling even more confusing.

Eether wae, the consept has yet to capcher th publix imajinaeshun.

It's been 100 years since Andrew Carnegie helped create the Simplified Spelling Board to promote a retooling of written English and President Theodore Roosevelt tried to force the government to use simplified spelling in its publications. But advocates aren't giving up.

They even picket the national spelling bee finals, held every year in Washington, costumed as bumble bees and hoisting signs that say "Enuf is enuf but enough is too much" or "I'm thru with through."

Thae sae th bee selebraets th ability of a fue stoodents to master a dificult sistem that stumps meny utherz hoo cuud do just as wel if speling were simpler.

"It's a very difficult thing to get something accepted like this," says Alan Mole, president of the American Literacy Council, which favors an end to "illogical spelling." The group says English has 42 sounds spelled in a bewildering 400 ways.

Americans doen't aulwaez go for whut's eezy — witnes th faeluer of th metric sistem to cach on. But propoenents of simpler speling noet that a smatering of aulterd spelingz hav maed th leep into evrydae ues.

Doughnut also is donut; colour, honour and labour long ago lost the British "u" and the similarly derived theatre and centre have been replaced by the easier-to-sound-out theater and center.

"The kinds of progress that we're seeing are that someone will spell night 'nite' and someone will spell through 'thru,"' Mole said. "We try to show where these spellings are used and to show dictionary makers that they are used so they will include them as alternate spellings."

"Great changes have been made in the past. Systems can change," a hopeful Mole said.

Lurning English reqierz roet memory rather than lojic, he sed.

In languages with phonetically spelled words, like German or Spanish, children learn to spell in weeks instead of months or years as is sometimes the case with English, Mole said.

But education professor Donald Bear said to simplify spelling would probably make it more difficult because words get meaning from their prefixes, suffixes and roots.

"Students come to understand how meaning is preserved in the way words are spelled," said Bear, director of the E.L. Cord Foundation Center for Learning and Literacy at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Th cuntry's larjest teecherz uennyon, wuns a suporter, aulso objects.

Michael Marks, a member of the National Education Association's executive committee, said learning would be disrupted if children had to switch to a different spelling system. "It may be more trouble than it's worth," said Marks, a debate and theater teacher at Hattiesburg High School in Mississippi.

E-mail and text messages are exerting a similar tug on the language, sharing some elements with the simplified spelling movement while differing in other ways. Electronic communications stress shortcuts like "u" more than phonetics. Simplified spelling is not always shorter than regular spelling — sistem instead of system, hoep instead of hope.

Carnegie tried to moov thingz along in 1906 when he helpt establish and fund th speling bord. He aulso uezd simplified speling in his correspondens, and askt enywun hoo reported to him to do the saem.

A filanthropist, he becaem pashunet about th ishoo after speeking with Melvil Dewey, a speling reform activist and Dewey Desimal sistem inventor hoo simplified his furst naem bi droping "le" frum Melville.

Roosevelt tried to get the government to adopt simpler spellings for 300 words but Congress blocked him. He used simple spellings in all White House memos, pressing forward his effort to "make our spelling a little less foolish and fantastic."

The Chicago Tribune aulso got into th act, uezing simpler spelingz in th nuezpaeper for about 40 years, ending in 1975. Plae-riet George Bernard Shaw, hoo roet moest of his mateerial in shorthand, left muny in his wil for th development of a nue English alfabet.

Carnegie, Dewey, Roosevelt and Shaw's work followed attempts by Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Webster and Mark Twain to advance simpler spelling. Twain lobbied The Associated Press at its 1906 annual meeting to "adopt and use our simplified forms and spread them to the ends of the earth." AP declined.

But for aul th hi-proefiel and skolarly eforts, the iedeea of funy-luuking but simpler spelingz didn't captivaet the masez then — or now.

"I think that the average person simply did not see this as a needed change or a necessary change or something that was ... going to change their lives for the better," said Marilyn Cocchiola Holt, manager of the Pennsylvania department of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.

Carnegie, hoo embraest teknolojy, died in 1919, wel befor sel foenz. Had he livd, he probably wuud hav bin pleezd to no that milyonz of peepl send text and instant mesejez evry dae uezing thair oen formz of simplified speling: "Hav a gr8 day!"

To see the actual article go HERE.
Just thought you all might be interested in this.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:06 pm
This is horrible. What would schools be for then? There'd be no reason to write anymore. And that would suck.  

Love.From.Hate

5,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:59 pm
It's bad enough without these people trying to push for spelling reforms. I mean, look at all the chatspeak. I don't think there was a big movement to promote its use. There are enough people messing with spelling and grammar.

By the way, I think we already have a thread on this spelling reform news. (Probably linking to the same news from a different provider.)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:00 pm
I don't have to read this entire article to realize myself that this is a retarded idea.  

[Riyuu]

ilovemaryjayne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:48 pm
Someone else before you posted this aswell. It's such a stupid idea because the launguage has been develpoing for such a long time, why change it? It's fine the way it is! scream  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:02 pm
Spelling reforms = BS

Ind1v1dual

Invisible Gaian

anime_freak777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:45 pm
That's so ******** stupid. We all learned how to read and write in proper English.Why should they have to make it easier just because some people are just dumb and/or lazy?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:46 am
That is one of the worst article's I've seen in my life. eek
I understand if you use simplified words by accitdent, but that article is just wrong(>_<). *Tisk tisk*, Dumb and lazy.  

ch4nel

Cyrus Adler

Distinct Conversationalist

10,600 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:58 am
I suddenly find myself becomeing a fierce proponent for an assassination attempt.

Honestly people, this is god-awful. In an age where the dumbing-down of mass society trickles into the hearts and homesteads of every American, the last thing we need is to sit idly by as paid professionals decide to HELP us along the path to sheer idiocy.

This country, in it's astounding age of affluenza, is a sad reminder of how the corrput and merciless come to power while the masses accept everything in complacency...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:01 pm
Im curiouse where al this hostility is from.
How is spelling reform lazy? It would be a pretty big undertaking, and take some time. Where as keeping things the way they are because they are, is lazy.

Why shouldnt our language be more like german where the spelling is for the most part phonetic. If it would help why not create an improved system, not like chatspeak, and not like the words the thread poster used. But perhaps the kind used in say japanese translations 'romanji'.

Or small changes like cut out the 'c', make it the sound for 'sh' or soemthing, it serves no purpose with a 'k' and an 's' in the alphabet.

I wonder if some of you just fear change with how quickly you insulted the article.  

King Kento

Pomnuria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:49 pm
Chois Wun: Chaenj th Languaj.
-It would take a while and some getting used to especially for those who are old and have been speaking that way since they were born.
-It might be easier to spell once everyone got used to it though. spanish is much easier than english cause you always know what to expect. (ie: LL always makes the 'yuh' sound and never the 'L' sound)

Choice Two: Keep the Language
-It would continue to confuse kids who try to sound things out but they can't because of that 'silent E.'
-It would save adults the confusion of having to re-learn how to spell.

I'm not taking sides; I'm just supplying what I see as the options. You can draw your own conclusions. The way I see it as is this: Either way we decide to go for our language, I won't really care. It seems to be pretty equal to me, and both sides have their pros and cons.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:54 am
Ramirez Delaz
I suddenly find myself becomeing a fierce proponent for an assassination attempt.

Same here.

This has just proved my theory that America is becoming the stupidest (and the fattest) country in the world. We're butchering the English language when we yuz simplafyd wurdz.

I'm going to shoot myself if this ever happens.  

Sheep Kitchen

Wheezing Ladykiller

snazy-a-tastic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:15 am
After learning the language for twenty years, that is not more simplified; it is more difficult.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:28 pm
First off, every post I've read, against changing the language, uses the argument "It's fine the way it's always been."

You guys are lame. If you really feel this way, go back to old English. You say that "It's been like this for years, why change it? " Why did we change it in the first place? Why do we keep adding words to the dictionary? Think about it.

Secondly, I'd like to say a few words to all the people that just said this idea is "Stupid and/or lazy", and here they are:

"Go get hit by a car."

The only things that are stupid, are people like you. Between 5 and 15 percent of the population can be diagnosed as suffering from various degrees of dyslexia. If the English language were to be simplified to the point where all the words in it could be sounded out, people with dyslexia would gain a tramendous foot hold, in achieving a more normal life. This is just one of many reasons that I can think of to change the fundamentally flawed, English language; and the best that the majority of you can come up with is "Why change it now?" For a guild full of grammatically adept people, you all sure have closed minds when it comes to making it easier.

The_Wrench_Ninja

King Kento

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:19 pm
Rose the Homicidal Maniac
Ramirez Delaz

Same here.

This has just proved my theory that America is becoming the stupidest (and the fattest) country in the world. We're butchering the English language when we yuz simplafyd wurdz.

I'm going to shoot myself if this ever happens.

Then just shoot yourself now.

Keeping a flawed language is idiotic. Its simple logic, simplify something that would only benefit from it. Where is the downside to simplifying our language's spelling.

And a lot of you seem to think simplifying it implies chat speak. fanetek =/= txt tlk lol.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff