Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Show and tell for the week of 9/3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  gold.
View Results

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:33 am
So I said last week that I only had six inches of a sleeve left. I'm down to three now, and weaving in my ends. I hope to have it done by Thursday, when I'll post a pic.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:26 pm
Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool  

switchblade12

NightRainSpirit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:23 pm
I can't wait then to see it! xd  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:34 pm
I'm currently sewing another journal cover, I'm still waiting for the applique I ordered to arrive. SO right now it's plain black babycord 3nodding  

[Grendel]

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:26 pm
A few issues ago Crochet Fantasy had an article about crocheting broomstick lace. My mom found her size 50 knitting needles the other day and loaned them to me so I could try the technique so I've been looping yarn and trying to figure out why I keep dropping a stitch and what to do about it. When I get most of it figured out I'll find a better yarn and try making a scarf.
Note: Red Heart isn't the best yarn for broomstick lace because it doesn't drape well.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:57 pm
I've never heard of broomstick lace. What is that?  

knitting_needle_ninja

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:03 pm
Ok, over the weekend, I made a few things.
I made a necklace with a little "sock" type thing on the end for my inhaler so I won't lose it during physical activities when I have no pockets.
User Image

And I made a Soda can holder for my best friends dorm room to hang off her bed
(will post picture soon)

And I made a set of fingerless gloves to cover my fingies xd since they get cold too easily.
User Image
(will post BETTER picture sooner)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:41 pm
knitting_needle_ninja

It's a type of lace crochet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broomstick_lace It uses a long cylinder to hold loops that you then crochet off. I'm using a size 50 knitting needle, but I'm told that broomsticks were also used hence the name broomstick lace. From a web search I found out that it's also called Jiffy lace.
I'll post pics if I get them taken when I finish the project.
(*wishes for a digital camera*)  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:00 pm
Youre probably dropping stitches because size 50s are so dang big and bigger needles are harder to hold on to. Best of luck with that.

As for me, I am revisiting the raj sweater, this time in the turquoise, for a friend's birthday present. I am also in the process of decoding this sweater someone posted in my aran knitting group - it's by a European designer called Pringles of Scotland. There's a few of us who are all in the process, some with our own twists - once I get the yarn for it I'm going to make mine off-the-shoulder and bell the sleeves. A flared body with skin-tight sleeves just doesnt look right to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:28 am
ForestGreen
knitting_needle_ninja

It's a type of lace crochet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broomstick_lace It uses a long cylinder to hold loops that you then crochet off. I'm using a size 50 knitting needle, but I'm told that broomsticks were also used hence the name broomstick lace. From a web search I found out that it's also called Jiffy lace.
I'll post pics if I get them taken when I finish the project.
(*wishes for a digital camera*)
Sounds interesting. I can't wait to see!  

knitting_needle_ninja

VP Club Freakin Justice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:05 am
I'm hoping to get done with a pair of fingerless gloves by the end of the week if not sooner.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games