Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Puns - Low form of humor? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Puns?
  I can take them or leaf them....
  NO!!! I HATE PUNS!!!!!11!1!!1EXCLAMATION POINT!!
View Results

[yin~yang]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:24 pm
So, I'm hearing a lot of people, either friends or online, saying tha puns are the very lowest of the low - something that only simpletons can do. I have to disagree with that strongly. It can take a very sophisticated mind to come up with puns of all degrees, and some of them can be quite funny. I agree, however, that some puns can be very egregious... A look at one of Piers Anthony's Xanth novels can give you all the punnage that you need.

So what are your thoughts? Like puns? Hate puns? Indifferent?

And, if you can share some puns, that would be pretty cool.

WARNING - PUNNY CONTENT AHEAD

So, imagine there is a woman, and she's walking along the sidewalk. But, she is no ordinary woman. One of her legs is shorter than the other, and as a result, she walks at an angle. What is the woman's name?

Highlight here to find the answer (however, give it about 15 seconds before you give up, 'kay?) >>Her name is Eileen  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:26 pm
I think puns are great, if timed properly. Small though they may be they are the essence of wordplay.... which I heart ... and over use when it's late at night! mrgreen  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

agny-pantsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:42 pm
I think they're annoying and stupid.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:50 pm
Care to explain why...?  

[yin~yang]

snazy-a-tastic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:34 am
Puns, if indeed clever, are great. I perfer, and am much better at, quick humour. You know, when one person says something true and another person immediately retorts with something funny off of it.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:24 am
I like puns that are fairly intelligent. "Is your refrigerator running?" "Yes." "Then you'd better catch it."  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

dark_elf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:07 pm
Puns.....>< AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! xd
Gawd my dad and brother are pun kings. stare And because I'm around them fairly often I punt too. domokun I can't think of any now because your mind pushes bad things out of your mind. stare My bro is NERV_child by the way if anyone cared to know.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:54 pm
Puns make me giggle. I think people have to be fairly inteligent to make them because they have to think fast to connect things and make them entertaining. Stupid ones get annoying, but witty ones can be hilarious.

I catch puns my mom makes without thinking all the time.

Shakespear has loads of puns in Romeo and Juliet. I seemed to be the only one who understood them and/or found them funny, though.  

pythonesque

Kawaii Fatcat

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:07 pm
I appreciate them.

More than some people, I think. I enjoy having them around, and I try to use them when I get a chance. My teachers are pretty punny, but it is important not to milk the pun, as some do. I probably laugh at them too much. At teacher humor and at puns, like the explorer Pansy de Lion. Was the Spanish armada a competition to see who got the most miles to the galleon? Who plays water polio? I do!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:31 pm
I just enjoy a well-placed pun at the correct time, as long as it isn't overdone or just plain cheezy.  

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100

ilovemaryjayne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:32 pm
+I think puns are hard to make and all but still I find them so IRRITATING!! I've heard them all a million times!!!!! AHH like all my friends if they hear a pun they say "THATS SO PUNNY!!" Geez they love to bug me stare
~~
I can't get your riddle...is it angie or something? sweatdrop whee
+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:43 pm
I adore puns, and it's my dad's fault entirely.

There are some... Like the punny one, that are really overdone, but I tend to adore them anyway.  

Ajith

Raine Eoviny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:41 pm
I love puns. The cheesier the better. But that probably has something to do with growing up with a father who is t like... the champion of cheesy jokes.

Me: Put the kettle on, Dad
Dad: I don't think it'll fit me

rolleyes It's so cheesy, but even now I find it hillarious!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:43 pm
I love puns! I'm not very good at coming up with them, however, I find them very amusing. Why they would be the lowest of the low, I have no idea...  

Emmanuela

DNA_Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:15 pm
I love a good pun, I do use them quite often to be honest. The only thing that gets me about them is the fact that the media won't stop using the things. It's getting out of hand people!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff