Submit

Pirates?
  RUM *grabs and runs*
  why the rum gone *cries*
  Pilage first then burn
View Results

MorganOfCalafia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:20 pm
I am of a pirate persona and i need ideas i would much apprieiate it if you gave me some. oh and ideas on a name to would be great.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:53 pm
ideas on what? Pirates in general? Ships? Swords? Garb?  

TheSteven

[Atropa Belladonna]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:30 am
Pirates need good names. I sometimes play a pirate. My persona is 16th-century French. I must note that I play a pirate in a non-SCA guild, so I have luxuries like no protected-names rules. My given name (known by few) is Jacqueline de Sade, known by my crew as Captain Nightshade.

A ship needs a good name too. Some of my friends are privateers, led by a knight. Their ship is called Chivalry's Folly.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:12 am
Pirates in general Garb name. i think my first name will be morgan(a)  

MorganOfCalafia

TheSteven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:01 pm
last pirate morgan I knew slept with his rapier marshal's wife and subsequently got kicked off the pirate ship. :/

Plus, morgan has been done many times for pirates. Captan morgan rum... Morgan from cutthroat island...Henry Morgan...

I mean, it IS a good name, but like the second paragraph up there, very obvious pirate name. Course, you could change it a bit... North Scottish is Morgund, greek is Pelagius, For girl names(I saw you add that 'a' to the end of morgan there... morgana?) ... Morgance, which means 'sea-dweller' in celtic, or morgandy which is 'one from the sea' Heck... pretty much any name that has the word 'mor' in it will have something to do with the sea.

What nationality is your persona from? Are you a spanish pirate? English? Irish? French?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:57 pm
TheSteven
last pirate morgan I knew slept with his rapier marshal's wife and subsequently got kicked off the pirate ship. :/

Plus, morgan has been done many times for pirates. Captan morgan rum... Morgan from cutthroat island...Henry Morgan...

I mean, it IS a good name, but like the second paragraph up there, very obvious pirate name. Course, you could change it a bit... North Scottish is Morgund, greek is Pelagius, For girl names(I saw you add that 'a' to the end of morgan there... morgana?) ... Morgance, which means 'sea-dweller' in celtic, or morgandy which is 'one from the sea' Heck... pretty much any name that has the word 'mor' in it will have something to do with the sea.

What nationality is your persona from? Are you a spanish pirate? English? Irish? French?

im thinking english or Irish. morgana has been my idea for an sca name since i was middle easter (5 yrs ago)  

MorganOfCalafia

MorganOfCalafia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:00 am
ResidentOfDarkness
TheSteven

im thinking english or french. morgana has been my idea for an sca name since i was middle easter (5 yrs ago)
i really like king aurther and morgana was his sister. i also like the name  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:49 am
ResidentOfDarkness
ResidentOfDarkness
TheSteven

im thinking english or french. morgana has been my idea for an sca name since i was middle easter (5 yrs ago)
Another thing you should consider is the exact time period. While pirate does suggest something later, there have been pirates as long as there has been ships. (Techinically, one could consider vikings a form of pirate) Morgana, however, I think sounds a bit earlier.
But that may just be me.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

[Xx Danzi xX]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:19 pm
my avi is a pirate as you can see and i am pleased with it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:09 pm
skatingrox180

did you read the first post? lol jk  

MorganOfCalafia

[Xx Danzi xX]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:44 pm
ResidentOfDarkness
skatingrox180

did you read the first post? lol jk
yes i did, i dont get it  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:25 pm
Kittywitch
ResidentOfDarkness
ResidentOfDarkness
TheSteven

Another thing you should consider is the exact time period. While pirate does suggest something later, there have been pirates as long as there has been ships. (Techinically, one could consider vikings a form of pirate) Morgana, however, I think sounds a bit earlier.
But that may just be me.
Actually Vikings did significantly more honest farming and trading than they did looting and plundering. The more violent image is just more interesting and thus more popular.  

[Atropa Belladonna]

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:04 pm
A great book for research is Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates, by David Cordingly.

Yes, it's a rather dry read, but if you're a major history geek, this is perfect.

I recommend highly.

Firstly, do name research like you would for any other persona. Figure out where they're from, when they're from, and how they got to where they were.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:04 pm
[Atropa Belladonna]
Kittywitch
ResidentOfDarkness
ResidentOfDarkness
TheSteven

But that may just be me.
Actually Vikings did significantly more honest farming and trading than they did looting and plundering. The more violent image is just more interesting and thus more popular.

ive told that to a couple of my history teachers IM TEACHING HERE DAMNIT thought them all  

MorganOfCalafia

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:40 pm
ResidentOfDarkness
[Atropa Belladonna]
Kittywitch
ResidentOfDarkness
ResidentOfDarkness
TheSteven

But that may just be me.

ive told that to a couple of my history teachers IM TEACHING HERE DAMNIT thought them all
Yes, that may be true, however, one cannot out and out deny that the vikings did any raiding at all. I mean, come on, most everyone in that era hem, borrowed things from their neighbors.

And happy talk like a pirate day. pirate  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces