Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
silver ravenwolf Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akwila

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:57 pm
is she THAT bad, i have read some of her books they are ok. i love how she puts things more simple for ppl my age to understand. i guess this thread is focused to jameta; while looking in the crystal rose library i noticed she posted that she attcks christians, and can be misleading, call me naive, btu i havent heard her speak ill of any religion and i do not find her books misleading  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:37 am
I've always viewed Silver as a love it or hate it writer.

If one thing sets you off, then you start noticing it alot more and sometimes making it up just so you have a reason to say something. A few strongly-written sentences or a particular mention of something you dislike can set you off, and apparantly only a select few in this world aren't set off by certain things.

But I dunno.. I haven't read her in a long time so I'll have to go pick up the book again (even though it's like 500 million pages)  

Quadadiddle
Crew

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:13 am
There are worse ranters on the author than me. wink

But yes, if you take a comb to Ravenwolf's work, she is not the greatest writer to work with- she does bash Christians and encourages her younger readers to decieve their parents in some accounts. In the land of nonfiction/instructional books, this is a big no-no, especially if you want respect. True, she may present things well, but (at least for me and others) I would rather go to a source that is more concerned with instructing without strings attached.

But don't get me started on Horne... mad  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:01 am
I was tuned off Ravenwolf from the second I looked at the cover of "Teen Witch" and saw a drawing of a coercive love spell. Not exactly to moral there.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Faeri of the Charity

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:39 am
Silver while she has some good information provides the information so wattered down you dont really understand what your doing. She lies. and tells children to lie.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:36 am
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Only talk bad (or good) about a writer if you have read their work. I liked SRW, but I think I wouldn't enjoy her work as much now. I view her work as something more for younger Pagans and I don't ever recall her telling me to lie confused Anywho, I say leave the woman alone. She seems to be trying to do some good, but may not go about it the best way if she is indeed going the things people say she is.

Get off the woman's back. Geez... she's only human stare

[/rant]  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:54 pm
Atma311
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Only talk bad (or good) about a writer if you have read their work. I liked SRW, but I think I wouldn't enjoy her work as much now. I view her work as something more for younger Pagans and I don't ever recall her telling me to lie confused Anywho, I say leave the woman alone. She seems to be trying to do some good, but may not go about it the best way if she is indeed going the things people say she is.

Get off the woman's back. Geez... she's only human stare

[/rant]
I'll probably read her sometime, for the same reason as I'll read Neitzche, Proust, and Milton, so I can say I've read them and can tak abuot them.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:36 pm
Tried to read her, smelled something bad, closed the book and placed it back on the shelf behind "The Witches' Bible" by the Farrars.

If people have opinions on her, let them share 'em. There's obviously a good reason that people don't like her and her ilk. I couldn't stomach what little I tried to read and wouldn't dare touch her work with a ten foot pole, again. stare  

Keistera

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:44 pm
Keistera
Tried to read her, smelled something bad, closed the book and placed it back on the shelf behind "The Witches' Bible" by the Farrars.

If people have opinions on her, let them share 'em. There's obviously a good reason that people don't like her and her ilk. I couldn't stomach what little I tried to read and wouldn't dare touch her work with a ten foot pole, again. stare

I saw The Witches' Bible once. It was pretty thick and looked like it would be very complicated... but I didn't have the money to buy it, but by the way you described it, I guess I didn't miss much...  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:22 pm
No, no, no. That's what I put $RW's book behind, so that hopefully someone would pick up something decent instead of the crap that I hid. :/

... That would be fun... hiding all of the "fluffy" books in a bookstore in sections where they don't belong. razz  

Keistera

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:57 pm
Atma311
Keistera

I saw The Witches' Bible once. It was pretty thick and looked like it would be very complicated... but I didn't have the money to buy it, but by the way you described it, I guess I didn't miss much...
I haven't read all of it, but it's completely Gardenerian oriented, but if you can sort through that, and the disturbing images of skyclad, elderly Mr. Farrar, there's some good stuff in it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:23 pm
Keistera

Me and my friends were in waldenbooks and we took the christian bible and put it in the "fiction" section and another one under "comedy". Then we took a copy of the 10 comandments and put it under "Self-Help" and "Drama".

Yeah.. we're bad cool  

Quadadiddle
Crew

Akwila

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:58 am
Hermetic
Keistera

Me and my friends were in waldenbooks and we took the christian bible and put it in the "fiction" section and another one under "comedy". Then we took a copy of the 10 comandments and put it under "Self-Help" and "Drama".

Yeah.. we're bad cool
that was dis respectful. but damn! LOL xd xd xd . anyway, some here said they dont remeber her telling him to lie...niether do i. i will say her books are strange (not bad strange, just 'o--k' strange) and a bit waterd down. but i dont find her books malicious or in ill intent (as some of you make her out to be for some reason). confused  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:02 am
but hey jameta, i just didnt think SRW deserved to be on the same list as horne and morrison....they are complete and utter BS scream  

Akwila

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:39 am
She is on a list where teh author's works should be taken with salt; with how much salt depends on the writer. It's not meant to be a stab in the back- just a warning.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff