Ever Taken any Self Defense Courses?
  Yes
  Kindof.. not really
  No
View Results

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:51 pm
I had the intersting thoughline that a lot of people who dress differently from the norms laid out by society end up being attacked at some point or another. This led me to wonder, how many people here have taken some form of martial arts in their lives, or any type of self defense course for that matter?

If so, what styles did you study? How far did you advance? Do you still train? What reasons caused you to quit?

It's intersting to me because I've read a few threads where people respond that perhaps they might resort to physical violence if absolutly necessary, and I'm curious to know how many people here know how to defend themselves if a situation ever came up when it would be necessary.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:05 pm
The funny thing is I was just wondering if I could use my old Karate pants in gym.

For awhile back in '04 I was involved in Isshinryu karate.
I remember while practicing I accidently kicked the thing I was supposed to kick a bit to hard and it almost fell on me.

I liked kicks and such because my upper body strenth isn't too good, but I can kick pretty hard.

I only got to attend classes for a short period of time because money became an issue. I miss it, but by the time we had money for it again our schedules where so mixed up it would be impossible for me to return.  

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

ieatyourtclol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:52 pm
lurichan
I had the intersting thoughline that a lot of people who dress differently from the norms laid out by society end up being attacked at some point or another. This led me to wonder, how many people here have taken some form of martial arts in their lives, or any type of self defense course for that matter?

If so, what styles did you study? How far did you advance? Do you still train? What reasons caused you to quit?

It's intersting to me because I've read a few threads where people respond that perhaps they might resort to physical violence if absolutly necessary, and I'm curious to know how many people here know how to defend themselves if a situation ever came up when it would be necessary.

I have been attacked numerous times. That being said: most were my causing. ^^;

I never bothered with martial arts. My tactic is, and always has been, find things and use them. A chair, desk, pencil ... etc .. whatever is lying around. That is how I defend myself.

Myb reputation for being a "lose cannon" keeps me safe too. No one really wants to push me. >>

In regards to self defense classes, don't need them. I am too violent as is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 am
I have been training in Shudokan karatedo for several years, and also have some experience in tae kwon do, wing chun, jujitsu, and jojitsu. I started training because I got beat up a fair bit when I was a kid, but since I've been training I have only had to fight about twice. Just being in shape and knowing how to trash people conveys a subliminal message that deters would-be aggressors. It has also helped lessen my paranoia levels, since now when I see somebody, instead of thinking “they're going to kill me” I think “I'm going to break his ribs and rip his knee ligaments if he makes a move.”  

UraniumMonk

chick_with_a_chainsaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:12 am
i did self defence for a few weeks at school. one of the last days my partner didnt turn up so i had to partner the teacher. so he decided to demonstrate a certain kick he missed and kicked me in the head.

from then i had a lump steadily growing on the inside of my lip.
1/2 way through the next year it was as big as my little finger nail and was causing me to have a lispse (sp) i had to get it removed under genaeral anestetic. i still have the scar and a lispe to prove it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:42 am
American Kenpo for years...
Funny enough, after all those years the best defense move I've learned is how to easily break a wrist and I learned that in no time from a guy taking another type of self-defense.

heh, American kenpo sparring was a sad sight.  

Silenus Slade

LillieRose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:07 am
Does the teaching of an ex-aikidoka counts?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:10 am
I used to take Aikido when I was about 14. I went with my dad and of course I had to quit when he stopped going, but I wasn't really into it then anyway. I made it to yellow belt. Now I'm taking Taekwondo in college, and I'm still a white belt.  

Tragedy Anne

KoRnfucius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:56 pm
I've never taken any self-defense classes, though I always wanted to learn karate. When I lived in a big city for 2 months, I hated it 'cuz I always had to have my rugged-looking male friends act as bodyguards. Sometimes I wanted to leave and walk around town alone but I knew I couldn't unarmed. I hate that weak feeling.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:16 pm
I've taken Tae Kwon Do, Okinawan Shorin Ryu, Russian, Judo/ Ju-Jitsu and I have a inate talent for swords and knives. I am also very docile unless I feel threatened (witch isn't very often), but if I'm in any trouble, I can kick about anyone's a**. I have a frighteningly high pain tolorance so no matter how many times you knock me, I'm still hitting back. Sparring with freinds has always been a treat for me, It's alot better when it's barbaric (no pads, just fight free until someone gives up or passes out).  

Soviet Reunion

Dorian Requiem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:17 pm
Tragedy Anne
I used to take Aikido when I was about 14. I went with my dad and of course I had to quit when he stopped going, but I wasn't really into it then anyway. I made it to yellow belt. Now I'm taking Taekwondo in college, and I'm still a white belt.

I took Aikido too on and off for a few years, I really should have made it to yellow belt, but we would stop going for a few months at a time. My step-dad was a purple belt, and he showed me alot of interesting things, not just from Aikido.

My 'real' dad took Karate and some gymnastics and should me a bit or martial arts tecniques, but not much. My first step dad showed me boxing, which was lame, considering my age. And I've taught myself kick boxing.

some random rivethead...
I've taken Tae Kwon Do, Okinawan Shorin Ryu, Russian, Judo/ Ju-Jitsu and I have a inate talent for swords and knives. I am also very docile unless I feel threatened (witch isn't very often), but if I'm in any trouble, I can kick about anyone's a**. I have a frighteningly high pain tolorance so no matter how many times you knock me, I'm still hitting back. Sparring with freinds has always been a treat for me, It's alot better when it's barbaric (no pads, just fight free until someone gives up or passes out).

I would always try to get my russian friends to spare with me that way, and they always backed out. Having a high pain tolerance, and being about 6'3" is a sweet deal for me.

I always get ideas for easy weapons or ways to take out people, most of my fighting style comes from improvised ideas I've developed, or spur of the moment things, rarely do I use what I've learned out side of kickboxing. Heh, I can take out 5 guys with a pool stick and a que ball with out them getting a hand on me.

Though, I try to refrane from weapons unless its to get people to back off without any actual fighting... sucks to be the intelligent one. I could really use an excuse to 'misplace' my anger.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:04 pm
Judo/karate which i like karate the best if i have to fight i perfer my legs over fist-fighting, love using weapons (swords,knives stuff like that) but all i really need to know to get out of a fight is how to break a wrist/leg or whatever that usually ends it there.  

Ormen_Blackstar

2aetH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:54 pm
Deific Requiem

I never bothered with martial arts. My tactic is, and always has been, find things and use them. A chair, desk, pencil ... etc .. whatever is lying around. That is how I defend myself.

Myb reputation for being a "lose cannon" keeps me safe too. No one really wants to push me. >>

3nodding Agreed. I never took any, and in fact, I find them rather redundant. Being a black belt is actually against you. If you get into a fight, even out of self-defense, and the aggressor is injured as a result, having a black belt can work against you in a case.

Also, most disciplines are too rigid and ordered. A lot of disciplines, even if invented for self-defense purposes, don't work very well against someone who knows how to fight and isn't using your style. It'll work against someone just running at you, or maybe in disarming a knife, but someone trying to inflict harm against you who knows what they're doing as well will be able to still hurt you.

I've gotten into many fights, some of my own cause, some not. Either way, I've only lost in a fight twice. One was the first time, the other was because of...well, other circumstances prohibiting me from hurting them severely.

I just kick out their knees, or do something to get them on the ground, and then proceed to straddle and beat the crap out of them. It works.

However, while I have a short temper, if there's no reason behind it, I can't fight. I don't do "friendly" sparring. My boyfriend's a black belt in Hapkido and Tang Soo Do. His two best friends are...dunno, some belt in Karate. They spar each other all the time. I ended up spraining one of my boyfriend's friends because I don't actually know how to fight without doing major damage to someone. I was trying to hit softly and crap, but they threw a punch at me, and I grabbed their wrist and sprained it. >.<

I don't even like watching fights all that much. Just, when I get into one, I make sure that I win.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:39 am
I do Capoeira. But it's mostly for the enjoyment of getting fit, and so that I can dance for longer and harder and be more flexible.

I did Karate for a few years when I was a teen, but our sensei always taught that the best manouver in a real fight if you weren't going to have to defend someone else was the 'Adidas' biggrin  

Steampunked

UraniumMonk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:59 pm
Raethyn Sarachael
Deific Requiem

3nodding Agreed. I never took any, and in fact, I find them rather redundant. Being a black belt is actually against you. If you get into a fight, even out of self-defense, and the aggressor is injured as a result, having a black belt can work against you in a case.

Also, most disciplines are too rigid and ordered. A lot of disciplines, even if invented for self-defense purposes, don't work very well against someone who knows how to fight and isn't using your style. It'll work against someone just running at you, or maybe in disarming a knife, but someone trying to inflict harm against you who knows what they're doing as well will be able to still hurt you.

I've gotten into many fights, some of my own cause, some not. Either way, I've only lost in a fight twice. One was the first time, the other was because of...well, other circumstances prohibiting me from hurting them severely.

I just kick out their knees, or do something to get them on the ground, and then proceed to straddle and beat the crap out of them. It works.

However, while I have a short temper, if there's no reason behind it, I can't fight. I don't do "friendly" sparring. My boyfriend's a black belt in Hapkido and Tang Soo Do. His two best friends are...dunno, some belt in Karate. They spar each other all the time. I ended up spraining one of my boyfriend's friends because I don't actually know how to fight without doing major damage to someone. I was trying to hit softly and crap, but they threw a punch at me, and I grabbed their wrist and sprained it. >.<

I don't even like watching fights all that much. Just, when I get into one, I make sure that I win.

You're mistaken on several points. First, having a black belt in a respected system is not going to hurt a self-defense case. If anything it helps it, as you've got an entire school (or entire system if you're a high ranking black belt) of character witnesses. Second, the notion that "most disciplines are too rigid" for practical application is complete bollocks. If anything, rigid and disciplined training help by building a reflex library, making you just that much faster and stronger a fighter. While it may seem backwards or “redundant” at the elementary level, establishing a firm foundation pays off as you progress through your training. Third, the notion that being able to spar safely makes real systems weak is quite laughable. Sparring teaches self control, and being able to control your body allows you to hit more precisely, harder, and faster in actual combat application.  
~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games