A good read Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:54 am
I just wanted to inform you all about this really good book I've been reading...
It's a Fantasy/Sci-fi called God of Tarot.
When I first recieved this book, I thought it was going to be boring, and I put off reading it as long as I could.
But I picked it up last night, and I couldn't put it down.
This book has huge Christian undertones, but it takes place in a world where Earth is dieing, and shipping Billions of people to other inhabitable planets in the galaxy.
On one of these planets, the Planet Tarot, there's an Animation problem going on.
They have no technology, really, so by "Animation", I mean the images of Tarot cards can be manifested into reality, Major Acarna and all.
So the Holy Order of Vision sends a Brother up to investigate if its God causing all this, and if He is there.
Its really an amazing book. There's one girl, even, who worships a serpent-god, and they even mention ki, or Kundalini, which amazed me greatly.
But this book is older than I am, having been printed for the first time in 1977. Though I still reccomend it, if you can find it. Its really good.

And to keep this a little interactive, people can pitch in their own reccomendations, novel-wise. Read a good book lately? Or even in the past? Let us know! ^__^

(PS; I'm sorry if there is already a book-thread. I looked through, but I really didn't see anything, not open, at least, that would signify "don't post your topic." Let me know if I'm out of line, but this is the only thing I could think of to post, otherwise I would remain relativly inactive.)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:38 am
That book does sound really good! I may have to check it out.

As for good books I've read, let's see here...

Flowers In The Attic
Clan of the Cave Bear
Watership Down

Those are three of my favorite books.

Flowers In The Attic is about four children who are hidden away in an attic bedroom while their mother attempts to inherit a fortune from her fanatical funy father.

Clan of the Cave Bear is about a young neanderthal woman who is adopted and raised by a clan of cromagnum people. Absolutely amazing read!

Waterhsip Down, yes, is a children's book, but there's so much more to it! It's about rabbits, but not only rabbits, but their culture, their beliefs/religion, and the quest of a small group to escape the destruction of their home warren, as predicted by one of their number.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:04 am
Those sound amazing, Blue. ^__^ As soon as I have the money, I'll be looking for those books.  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:57 am
Oh, I simply adore watership down heart heart heart

The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is the most recent book I've read. If you're in to British humor, I suggest it and the other books in the series.

The Wallaby

Rakei

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:58 am
Books? Yes I love books lets see.

Simply have to read books:

The Northern Lights:
The Golden Compas
The Subtle Knife
The Ember Spyglass

Other recomended books:
The Hobbit, There and Back Again
Lord of the Rings 1/2/3
Complete Chronicles of the Crystal Singers of Ballybran (Crystal singers, Killashandra, Crystal Line)

Wise not to read:
Silmarillion.

The Northern Lights takes place in a paralle universe, it is about a girl (Lyra), who gets tangled up in her uncle's ninja affairs, but also comes to realize the churches schemes. In The second book she is accompanied by a boy (William/Will) who comes in possesion of this subtle knife.

Need I say anything about the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings? all four excelent books from J.R.R. Tolkien.

Chronicles of Crystal Singers of Ballybran is a trilogy by Anne McCaffrey, It so long since I read it... sweatdrop It's about the singer Killashandra who sents out to become a crystal singer, a person who cuts crystal on the planet Ballybran.

Silmarillion another book by J.R.R. Tolkien, It is wise not to read this book since it is really heavy, it is like reading world history (duh!) It is about the history of the Valar and Middle earth.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:37 am
The first Dune by Frank Herbert... it is my love. heart The seond one was kinda' weird, but I still enjoyed it because I'm a Dune nut. A good book if you can understand the underlying theme of what happens when government/politics mix with religion/faith/superstition/past-fears.

The Cluster Series and the Apprentice Adept Series by Piers Anthony are also very good, as long as you care for science-fiction crossing over to fantasy (literally, in AA).

And now, we don't have a thread like this. sweatdrop  

Jameta
Captain

ceilisidhe

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:39 pm
...Mercedes Lackey is an exceptional author who's works include The Herald Mage series. Terry Brooks' Shannara series is also an intriguing read. Both authors are well-versed and highly imaginative. I'm Quite picky about the books I read, yet they deserve 9/10 in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:10 pm
Winter Black
I just wanted to inform you all about this really good book I've been reading...
It's a Fantasy/Sci-fi called God of Tarot.
When I first recieved this book, I thought it was going to be boring, and I put off reading it as long as I could.
But I picked it up last night, and I couldn't put it down.
This book has huge Christian undertones, but it takes place in a world where Earth is dieing, and shipping Billions of people to other inhabitable planets in the galaxy.
On one of these planets, the Planet Tarot, there's an Animation problem going on.
They have no technology, really, so by "Animation", I mean the images of Tarot cards can be manifested into reality, Major Acarna and all.
So the Holy Order of Vision sends a Brother up to investigate if its God causing all this, and if He is there.
Its really an amazing book. There's one girl, even, who worships a serpent-god, and they even mention ki, or Kundalini, which amazed me greatly.
But this book is older than I am, having been printed for the first time in 1977. Though I still reccomend it, if you can find it. Its really good.

And to keep this a little interactive, people can pitch in their own reccomendations, novel-wise. Read a good book lately? Or even in the past? Let us know! ^__^

(PS; I'm sorry if there is already a book-thread. I looked through, but I really didn't see anything, not open, at least, that would signify "don't post your topic." Let me know if I'm out of line, but this is the only thing I could think of to post, otherwise I would remain relativly inactive.)
Yes, I've read those books, they're by Piers Anthony. I'd suggest reading his Cluster series, it's also very interesting.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Shani05

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:16 am
ceilisidhe
...Mercedes Lackey is an exceptional author who's works include The Herald Mage series. Terry Brooks' Shannara series is also an intriguing read. Both authors are well-versed and highly imaginative. I'm Quite picky about the books I read, yet they deserve 9/10 in my opinion.

Iam a HUGE Terry Brooks fan!!! I love all of his books. heart heart heart
But I have to say that the Sword of Truth novels by Terry Goodkind are also very good. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:27 pm
A sort-of good book about Paganism that I've found is The Everything Paganism Book by Selene Silverwind. ^^ It goes in-depth about the history and all that, and even looks a little into Wicca on the side.  

Winter Black
Crew

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:13 pm
Well what Can I say I'm on one of my Vampire Fixes, I just started reading Anne Rice's Vampire Cronicles. Any one who hasn't read then really should. They are awsome. domokun Pagan wise books I haven't really got into any lately. Most of whats common knowledge I already have a grip on. Its hard to find above Par advance books with my limited resources. Egyptian Paganism for begginers was a good book though. I learned quite a lot from it. surprised  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:02 pm
Christo Minaverus
Well what Can I say I'm on one of my Vampire Fixes, I just started reading Anne Rice's Vampire Cronicles. Any one who hasn't read then really should. They are awsome. domokun Pagan wise books I haven't really got into any lately. Most of whats common knowledge I already have a grip on. Its hard to find above Par advance books with my limited resources. Egyptian Paganism for begginers was a good book though. I learned quite a lot from it. surprised
*drooling* Bram Stoker... Dracula... g~aaah...

*whipes mouth* I'm sorry. sweatdrop That book always makes me giddy. I nee dto get a new copy of it, though- mine is falling apart. sweatdrop

Someone made two more books in sequel to Stoker's classic; however, I cannot remember the titles, nor the writer. In any case, the third one, a gift, was quite a trip from what I remember. Of course, I was in middle school. Excellent writing, though.

I am currently reading Angels and Mortals: Their Co-Creative Power , a collection of essays by Maria Parisen, and a lot of it is going over my head. confused There are some good and interesting things that I do pick-up on every now and then, but unless you have a background in Hindu religion and/or mythology, you'll probably be in the same boat as I'm in.

Hey, Christo, have you checked out that book called Egyptology? I know it's not a real source and I haven't really read it, but it seems really cute from what I've flipped through. 3nodding  

Jameta
Captain

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:39 am
Jameta

Hey, Christo, have you checked out that book called Egyptology? I know it's not a real source and I haven't really read it, but it seems really cute from what I've flipped through. 3nodding

cute? sweatdrop xd Is it the one with the gold cover? Yes actually I learned a little from it, even though the story of trying to find some god't temple is rather fake. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:29 am
Christo Minaverus
Jameta

cute? sweatdrop xd Is it the one with the gold cover? Yes actually I learned a little from it, even though the story of trying to find some god't temple is rather fake. 3nodding
Yep, yep that's one. I say cute because 1.) I'm a strange female and 2.) I only looked at the picutres. mrgreen  

Jameta
Captain

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:34 am
Christo Minaverus

When I learned about Egyptian Paganism, I didn't have resource books... Everything I learned, I learned online, and I learned a lot. I'm still trying to locate a translated copy of Prt M Hrw, though.

I also have part one of a series by Robert Graves, on Greek myths, and such.
But, its my opinion that you can't really appreciate the Pantheon unless you know all about its hisotry in general. I'm that was with both my students. Currently, I have them learning about Ancient Egypt, then I'll go on to Greece, then Rome, Gaul, ect.
The best way to comprehend a Pantheon's rituals, and Myths, is to know their history, their hardships, their day-to-day lives. Wouldn't you agree?

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff