Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Help me make a frog hat? n 3n

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pheenn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:50 pm
Hello, everyone. :D

I'm thinking of making a fleece hat for the winter, a green one with little frog eyes on top. Kind of like this one, but without the little ribbons and such. Just the eyes. :3

I think I'm okay with most of it, I just can't find a good tutorial that describes how to put the eyes on the hat. Iyou has some kitty hats in her thread here, but the ears are kind of... flat. I'm hoping to make the eyes a little poofier, but I don't know how to put them onto the hat that way. The closest thing I could find is this AFK hat tutorial on Craftster, but I don't quite get what she's talking about in those parts. <___<

EDIT: Specifically, the part about making a few little snips around the circles you cut out. I can't really work it out in my head. :/ *is dumb*

Also, I'm kind of iffy about making a four- or six-panel hat. It's my first time making one, so I'm worried that it would be lumpy and odd if I made it like that. Hell, I'm such a n00b with this stuff... I'm not even sure if you're supposed to hand-stitch the fleece, or use a sewing machine. sweatdrop

Any advice? n____n;  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am
I've never done that, but maybe this idea could help you...
Sewing the hat without eyes, making them separately, stuffing them and hand-sewing them to the hat. The problem could be hiding the stitches properly...  

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:16 am
JuliaPegasus
Sewing the hat without eyes, making them separately, stuffing them and hand-sewing them to the hat. The problem could be hiding the stitches properly...

That is the best advice I can come up with for the eyes.
and I will look back at the afk tutorial and try and work out what is confusing you and fix it later (is tiered now) (it was me who made it) but ask me any questions you want about it. It may just be a case that you don't really understand what the steps are talking about untill you are already sewing it and are up to that step (finds that a LOT with tutorials)

and about the panels making the hat look lumpy, that is the beauty of the pattern program by wild ginger, it comes out perfectly headshaped. I have never seen a fleece hat made with only two pannels that didn't look a little dicky because it wasn't the right shape for the head (unless you have a flat head like a peace of card, then it would be perfect)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:05 pm
JuliaPegasus

Hmm... It probably wouldn't be too hard to stitch the eyes on from underneath, so you'd only be able to see it if you turned the hat inside out. I would just have to make sure to sew the base on wide enough so that it doesn't look like a little ball hanging off of the top. :3

I be me

That is the best advice I can come up with for the eyes.
and I will look back at the afk tutorial and try and work out what is confusing you and fix it later (is tiered now) (it was me who made it) but ask me any questions you want about it. It may just be a case that you don't really understand what the steps are talking about untill you are already sewing it and are up to that step (finds that a LOT with tutorials)

and about the panels making the hat look lumpy, that is the beauty of the pattern program by wild ginger, it comes out perfectly headshaped. I have never seen a fleece hat made with only two pannels that didn't look a little dicky because it wasn't the right shape for the head (unless you have a flat head like a peace of card, then it would be perfect)

Ah, I see. I'll try the Wild Things pattern, then, see how that turns out. Chances are I'll try it with some cheap linen or something first, just to get the hang of it. In case I screw up really badly on the first try. XD

This is the part I don't quite understand:
AFK Tutorial
User Image
Cut a small circle in the middle of the circle you drew then cut a series of snips up to the line
Sew the ear to the hat along the line
Realise that your little kitty ears look floppy and need stuffing
Forget to take photo of this step

What are the snips for, and how do you sew the ear/eye to the hat that way? ):

Oh, and would you recommend adding an inner lining of some kind, like a soft cotton? I'm afraid the fleece will make my hair poof up in the winter. rofl  

pheenn

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:59 pm
MS paint to the rescue!
:goes back and edits the post so it actually has the ms paint picture and explanation in it:
User Image
pretty much the idea is to draw a large circle (blue) and then cut a smaller circle out in the middle of it (black) then snip it close to the blue circle.
You will be sewing along the blue line.
the point of the little circle and the snips is to give yourself a little bit of a seam allowance

and about the hair poofyness...
I have no clue, I am the kind of girl who doesn't brush her hair for weeks at a time so I don't know much about hair.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:18 pm
Ah, I get it now. Thank you very much! n____n  

pheenn

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas