Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Miscorrections of grammar.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:30 pm
I've seen, in the past, someone saying that those who proclaim to use good grammar are, in doing so, using incorrect grammar.

That is, they were saying the clause "I use good grammar" was incorrect.

I think this is because of an overteaching that "good" is incorrect, as most of the time it is used as an adverb.

Have you ever experienced anything like this?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:24 am
I've never understood that. I don't see what's wrong with saying "good grammar". After all, what's the difference between saying "good grammar" and "proper grammar"? It means the same thing. "Good" and "proper" are both adverbs/adjectives, aren't they?  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Missy Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:32 am
"The media make a lot of mistakes."

You would think this was wrong. You would change "make" into "makes" because you figure that the word media is singular.

WRONG!

Media is plural for medium so that sentence is correct. I'm excited because I just learned that today. Now, if anyone tries to correct me, I can say, "Look here, beotch, I'm using correct grammar. You're the one who's wrong."  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:12 am
Yami no Hitokiri
I've never understood that. I don't see what's wrong with saying "good grammar". After all, what's the difference between saying "good grammar" and "proper grammar"? It means the same thing. "Good" and "proper" are both adverbs/adjectives, aren't they?

They're only adjectives, not adverbs. Corresponding adverbs are "well" and "properly".  

The Man who was Thursday

Esilwyn_Lightleaf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:09 pm
skeate
I've seen, in the past, someone saying that those who proclaim to use good grammar are, in doing so, using incorrect grammar.

I think this is because of an overteaching that "good" is incorrect, as most of the time it is used as an adverb.

Yes, I have said things and people correct me. Then I have to explain to them that I was right. Occasionly I have been the one to say it. I don't pretend to know all there is about the english language and I am willing to learn.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:15 pm
Esilwyn_Lightleaf
skeate

Yes, I have said things and people correct me. Then I have to explain to them that I was right. Occasionly I have been the one to say it. I don't pretend to know all there is about the english language and I am willing to learn.

I couldn't agree more.

I too correct people on their grammar occasionaly and get told to fu*k off, because i'm wrong. I explain it to them and they just say, "well shutup" with a lot of swear words. Some people just can't speak proper English.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:04 pm
Not much to contribute here.
I had to laugh at some flamers once when my friend posted something, and a flamer asked if he/she (I can't remember the person's gender xp ) could correct the spelling mistakes.
I simply said "There are none."
I think they left the thread after that. rofl

Anyway, that's pretty interesting about the word "media." I never knew that. whee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:38 pm
missy wyvern
"The media make a lot of mistakes."

You would think this was wrong. You would change "make" into "makes" because you figure that the word media is singular.

WRONG!

Media is plural for medium so that sentence is correct. I'm excited because I just learned that today. Now, if anyone tries to correct me, I can say, "Look here, beotch, I'm using correct grammar. You're the one who's wrong."

*headache* Ouch. I don't like persnickety things like that.

I don't know if that's the right way to spell "persnickety" either.

Ok. From now on I'm only going to use "media made" instead of "make/s."

Sorry, media. You are now permanently past tense!  

Alexa488

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:00 pm
It's not really "persnickety".

Medium is a word taken directly from Latin. It's a 2nd declension neuter noun, so its nominative plural is media. And in English, we don't care about other cases.

Technically, if you wanted to say "I hate the media", you should be saying "I hate the medias" -- but like I said, English doesn't inflect its nouns much anymore.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:30 pm
Yep, media is the plural. I love how that question stumped many people on a grammar test last year. Hehe.

I don't generally say "good grammar," only because I don't like the way it sounds. However, I don't think it's incorrect.

I have to fight short, internal conflicts with myself at times not to correct the grammar of others when it's inappropriate, but I love to do it when it is appropriate.  

snazy-a-tastic

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:52 pm
OK, a question: Is it "The team are getting dressed" or "The team is getting dressed", "The team are losing" or "The team is losing"? And what about "The family are coming home" or "The family is coming home"?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:22 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
OK, a question: Is it "The team are getting dressed" or "The team is getting dressed", "The team are losing" or "The team is losing"? And what about "The family are coming home" or "The family is coming home"?

Singular collectives take singular verbs.  

The Man who was Thursday

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:03 pm
Yep. Just as band would have a singular verb, even if their name is Dead Puppets or something that sounds plural.
Though, it still sounds awkward to me, so I try to avoid saying anything about that band. sweatdrop

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games