Under-doing it? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:33 pm
I know we tend to get pissed-off at freaks who dress and makeup the s**t out of themselves at attempts to be goth, but is it also bad to be a little... too casual?

For example, here's a list of what I wear when I'm the most dressed-up:
*black Fruit of the Loom T-shirt
*silver cross medallion
*silver wristwatch
*Tripp pants
*black shoes
*skull-and-crossbone belt

I don't have any pictures, but suffice to say that it looks a little plain. Also, I listen to thrash metal a lot more than I listen to goth music so I often find myself in self-doubt about whether-or-not I really belong in this guild. gonk

Feel free to discuss your own opinions, and maybe share if you feel a little under-done too.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:48 pm
My "casual goth" consists of black skull knee shorts, spiked cat collar and purple chrome leash, knee-high black boots, a ren shirt and disintegrating(10 yr. old)olive trench.

My "to the nines goth" is basically the same, perhaps substituting velvets and hunger ankh if I'm in such a mood.

Basically if you have to worry about this topic you're rather missing the point, aren't you?  

ceilisidhe

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:52 pm
Well what I meant was is if too little constitutes as being not goth at all. I don't intend on getting any more lavish than my current look though because I don't want to accidentally step into the opposite end of the spectrum.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:26 pm
Dead_Ed
I know we tend to get pissed-off at freaks who dress and makeup the s**t out of themselves at attempts to be goth, but is it also bad to be a little... too casual?

For example, here's a list of what I wear when I'm the most dressed-up:
*black Fruit of the Loom T-shirt
*silver cross medallion
*silver wristwatch
*Tripp pants
*black shoes
*skull-and-crossbone belt

I don't have any pictures, but suffice to say that it looks a little plain. Also, I listen to thrash metal a lot more than I listen to goth music so I often find myself in self-doubt about whether-or-not I really belong in this guild. gonk

Feel free to discuss your own opinions, and maybe share if you feel a little under-done too.

Umm...dude you don't HAVE to listen to goth metal to be goth(duh)  

Kamadev

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:32 pm
Dead_Ed
Well what I meant was is if too little constitutes as being not goth at all. I don't intend on getting any more lavish than my current look though because I don't want to accidentally step into the opposite end of the spectrum.

Why does it matter at all?

Can't you be happy with who you are? If you "falsely" identify with the gothic subculture and someone has a problem with it, it's their problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:39 pm
MortSanglant
Dead_Ed

Can't you be happy with who you are? If you "falsely" identify with the gothic subculture and someone has a problem with it, it's their problem.

Seconded.

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:01 pm
Unless I'm going out to a party or a bar or club I'm always casual-goth.
Be it black jeans, black skirt, black t-shirts.

I like being comfortable smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:21 pm
Macabre_Cogitation
MortSanglant
Dead_Ed

Seconded.

Yes, I understand what you two are saying. What I wear is what I like to wear and it's who I am, it's just that I decided to ask what people here thought, rather than kids I know at school, on this issue because the vast majority of the pictures I see in the picture posts are far more sophisticated.
Eh, even if what I wear isn't considered "gothy", I'd still wear these clothes for occasions like concerts and stuff.

@ K.A.S.T: I know, it's just that "goth" was founded on music and it's a pretty integral part.

@spooky_sez: That's usually what I do too; I'm glad to know that I'm not alone on that.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

trampyre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:58 pm
I think if you have gothy friends who know you're gothy, you can probably wear whatever you like and they will still consider you gothy. However, the general population tends to judge based on personal adornment, and from what you said, it sounds like you'd still be identified as gothy. Your "casual" outfit actually sounds quite tasteful. 3nodding

I can usually identify "casual goths" on the street, as, I am sure other goths can identify me when I'm not dressed to the nines... so I think even if you don't drip Hot Topic and clown makeup, there's bound to be cognoscenti out there who know you're goth, despite your low-key appearance. As others said above: don't worry about it; just be yourself, and wear what you like.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:20 am
i just dress in a black tank top and black or blue jeans. i never get dressed up unless im going to a movie or concert, and sometimes school. but i never even dress up for dates.
remember, its not about how you dress  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Silenus Slade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:37 am
If it's all the same to you guys, I prefer being naked.

Just throwing that out there.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:30 pm
Macabre_Cogitation
MortSanglant
Dead_Ed

Seconded.

i agree with that as well  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

Dante Omura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:02 pm
I dont wear tripp pants )dont like straps the chains I'm still deciding) I dont wear skulls or anything TOO FAR (mom wont let me leave the house gonk ) but yeah I it were my choice I'd go with the skull an bands and stuff heres my usual attire

Black Dickies (only black pants mom buys because she dont like ones that fade)
Black Tee,or a white or red one (mom burns closet if I wear too much black)
Boots
and I listen to ANYTHING that sounds good so long as its not Emo, Rap, or country

but yeah to me Goth is a mind set and a psychological not physical.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:05 pm
evilfaerie13
Macabre_Cogitation
MortSanglant
Dead_Ed

Seconded.

i agree with that as well

here here.  

dreaming_tonight

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items