Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I am so excited!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

And they were blissfully, blissfully happy...
  forever and ever and ever.
  until Mr. Pringle arrived in a tank.
  when the evil nazi crab was repulsed by Harry's innitiative and blimp-driving skills.
  because www.rathergood.com is amazing, and SoulDruidKazeko is a cool cat for knowing it.
View Results

SoulDruidKazeko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:23 pm
Today I was in a "literate RPG" Guild. It was great, besides the fact that I realized that it's not so lit as I would have liked... but one takes what one can get, ne?

Anyway, this girl had a grammar mistake in her sig. So I PMed her and told her she had a case of poor subject-antecedent agreement and that she might want to fix it. And she thanked me. And fixed it.

There is hope yet.

I am so deliciously happy.... Hooray!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:40 pm
That's wonderful. It's nice when people can actually listen to good advice without getting all bent out of shape about it.

On another note, what the hell is subject-antecedent agreement?  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:18 pm
Awww, ten years ago, I could have explained it right off the top of my head. Now I have to go and look it up. My curisoity always gets the best of me. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:46 am
Actually, I meant to tell her pronoun-antecedent agreement, but in my 3:00 AM delusion, I wrote the wrong thing. But she caught it and fixed it, which was the cool part.

An example of poor pronoun-antecedent agreement is something along the lines as "I'm just another imperfect person taking their time."

Person is a singular noun, therefore the word "their" should be replaced with a singlular pronoun, such as "his" or "her," or even "its." The word "their" is a plural pronoun reserved only for plural nouns.

It's a pretty easy concept with a pretty annoying name. They should just call it Pronoun-noun agreement, but English people are fussy. And that's why we love them. <3

I am tired and hungry and cold and getting ill. If there are typoes, that's why. I'll come back and edit for that later... 'cause I don't feel like re-reading my post... bleeuugh.... Ughh... so ill....  

SoulDruidKazeko

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:59 pm
That's so cool! <33
Yep, I remember pronoun-antecedent agreement.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:13 pm
Hmm. Never heard of it, but sound's logical.  

Zealot of Insanity

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:35 pm
I apologize for the following statement.

OMFG.

Once again, I apologize. But I feel that this properly expresses my amazement. Maybe I should have said, "This amazes me to no end. Maybe there truly is hope for today's youth."

Ha, I just said it. Oh well. Both statements work fine for me.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games