Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
So, I REALLY want some Bell Bottoms! :o

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bell Bottoms =
  <3
View Results

iWhore.4[Tofu]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:19 pm
Since I havn't been able to find any in stores or online, I've resorted to tailoring my own pants via hand sewing with Needle and Thread! surprised
Well, what ELSE would I sew with? xDD

Anyway, I was just wondering :
Since I have to do it all by hand, how would you suggest I widen out the bottom of my pants?
I'm going to buy some denim (I'm still unsure about how wide I want them right now. xP), but since I have to do it all by hand, I'm wondering how I should go about sewing them in.
I'm thinking I should leave about a 1/4 inch for seams, but I'm wondering if I probably should do MORE than that. xP
Like, maybe 1/2 inch? O.o

Anyway, if you have any suggestions or help, Please, by all means, do so! surprised  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:53 pm
Actual bell bottoms? i found a pair in a store a couple of years ago....bought them.....gave them away....cause they didn't fit after a while....anyway....

My mom told me that this was how they made their own bellbottoms in the 70s instead of buying them:

1. Get a pair of pants.
2. cut/rip outside leg seam up to wherever you want the bell to start.
3. sew in triangles of fabric (big enough to make the bell as big as you want).

I would suggest that this triangle of fabric is ABOUT the same weight as the pants material, because otherwise, after washing, the triangle will probably start to fold in on itself, and there goes your bell and the pretty look of white stars on an orange background against denim.......

I actually did this, too...and I loved those pants.....until they got too small sweatdrop I wore them for extra credit in a history class in high school. I wish I had a picture of them to show....  

Maki Minakoaino

VP Club Freakin Justice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:02 am
Maki Minakoaino
I actually did this, too...and I loved those pants.....until they got too small sweatdrop I wore them for extra credit in a history class in high school. I wish I had a picture of them to show....

I've actually done this before too but not to complete bells, just flares...except I used jeans with corduroy for the additional bell part. I still love them.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:18 pm
Hand sewing denim....eeg...I suggest using a thimble.  

LadyAnubis

iWhore.4[Tofu]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:49 pm
LadyAnubis
Hand sewing denim....eeg...I suggest using a thimble.

rofl
I don't have one. .__.
I hemmed up the sides of my pants so that they would fit better, and I think I pricked myself at least 30 times. xDD  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:53 pm
Maki Minakoaino
Actual bell bottoms? i found a pair in a store a couple of years ago....bought them.....gave them away....cause they didn't fit after a while....anyway....

My mom told me that this was how they made their own bellbottoms in the 70s instead of buying them:

1. Get a pair of pants.
2. cut/rip outside leg seam up to wherever you want the bell to start.
3. sew in triangles of fabric (big enough to make the bell as big as you want).

I would suggest that this triangle of fabric is ABOUT the same weight as the pants material, because otherwise, after washing, the triangle will probably start to fold in on itself, and there goes your bell and the pretty look of white stars on an orange background against denim.......

Yeah, that's what I was going to do. 3nodding
I'm going to be going out fabric Hunting on Sunday, so I'll bring my pants with me so I can find the right color and weight. 3nodding

After that, I want to try Bleach-Dying them, but I'm affraid that if I do THAT, it will bleach out all the color in the wash. gonk
-got the idea from a friend-

Maybe I should test the bleach-dying on the leftover fabric before the actual pair of pants. >.<  

iWhore.4[Tofu]

P 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:18 pm
iWhore.4[Tofu]
Maybe I should test the bleach-dying on the leftover fabric before the actual pair of pants. >.<

Good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:36 am
[quote="iWhore.4[Tofu]" rofl
I don't have one. .__.
I hemmed up the sides of my pants so that they would fit better, and I think I pricked myself at least 30 times. xDD

A simple metal thimble doesn't cost a whole lot and it's well worth the cost. I dislike wearing mine because it feels awkward, but I do wear it when working with heavy fabric to keep the blood inside my body where it belongs. smile
There are other types of thimble on the market, the leather fingertip thimbles look like they would be comfortable. I'd suggest checking a quilting shop for alternatives to the simple metal thimble.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:00 pm
Hmmm
That sounds like it would be fun...
And I have a TON of jeans(my mom and i are losing weight, so when one of us gets past the other we give each other clothes, I've gained about 5 pairs of jeans in the last month xd )
I think I'll talk to my mom about doin that!  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:54 pm
storyfromthestars
Hmmm
That sounds like it would be fun...
And I have a TON of jeans(my mom and i are losing weight, so when one of us gets past the other we give each other clothes, I've gained about 5 pairs of jeans in the last month xd )
I think I'll talk to my mom about doin that!

Note:
I DID talk to my mom about it, and I did it!
I've only finished one side...
But I have a picture, so I'll post it here!
Here ya go:
User Image  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:22 am
I once saw an awesome pair of flares where the strip of fabric that makes the triangle part at the bottom actually started at the waist as a strip of fabric going down the side of the leg before widening at the bottom. I think it gives it a far more cordinated look than the color just starting at the bottom of the pair of pants. But it is a lot of extra work.
(bet you wish I said that before you finished the first leg of your pant, wich looks awesome by the way.)
I love the fabric you chose, its very bandcamp.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:20 pm
I be me
I once saw an awesome pair of flares where the strip of fabric that makes the triangle part at the bottom actually started at the waist as a strip of fabric going down the side of the leg before widening at the bottom. I think it gives it a far more cordinated look than the color just starting at the bottom of the pair of pants. But it is a lot of extra work.
(bet you wish I said that before you finished the first leg of your pant, wich looks awesome by the way.)
I love the fabric you chose, its very bandcamp.

Yea, it is very bandish, good for a musician like me.
And I had thought about doing it from the top, but I decided I would rather do it from the knee, because I'm not really a sewing type of person, I'm more of a knitter, and this is my first sewing project in years, so I'd rather make it a little simpler. Plus I like it better this way anyway...  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items