Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Yet more bad press for those in black. Yay. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:38 am
Well, joy of joys, I have discovered yet more bad press (and completely incorrect at that) for the goth and emo subcultures in a scouring of the net for essay research.

Just what we need, more bad press

This comes from the conservative (think republican only British and twice as pompous) newspaper "the Daily Mail", in it the author gets almost every "fact" about goth and emo so wrong it becomes a farce. However, while this may amuse, the fact that some readers of this paper will read this as genuine fact, disturbs me. With things like this circulating around it's no wonder that it is near impossible for anyone with a more than "normal" penchant for black to get a job, being rejected just on appearance alone, because we are being given the title of being chronicly depressive loners. stare

(any one else think that the girl they have in the picture doesn't have nearly enough eye-liner on than she should to be emo?)  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:40 pm
*I don't see any cuts in that picture so she's not a real emo - or they didn't want to shock us.*

I hate the press - They never get right information - Goth's only wearing black and other colors as long as it's black - ever heard of blood red or maybe even cybergoths/colorgoths?  

Disease of the Flesh

Genica Pussywillow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09 pm
[It seems right on the marker to me]
[Emos are known as the fake depressed kids. That's basically what the *current* term refers to (Don't go on about how Emo's something different, I know ^^)]
[It's not like he said we all listen to Marylin manson and cut ourselves, which isthe general stereotype]
[Girls at girl's schools also tend to follow stereotypes such as emo a lot more, so he got that right too (I have many friends who go to a girl's school, many of them have cut themselves for a fad)]

[Also, Goths do tend to wear black. It's the main color, and saying that's all they wear is a lot easier than saying "Oh, and they wear red and other such colors", when they're trying to makea point]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:24 pm
[Rosetta Stoned]
[It seems right on the marker to me]
[Emos are known as the fake depressed kids. That's basically what the *current* term refers to (Don't go on about how Emo's something different, I know ^^)]
[It's not like he said we all listen to Marylin manson and cut ourselves, which isthe general stereotype]
[Girls at girl's schools also tend to follow stereotypes such as emo a lot more, so he got that right too (I have many friends who go to a girl's school, many of them have cut themselves for a fad)]

[Also, Goths do tend to wear black. It's the main color, and saying that's all they wear is a lot easier than saying "Oh, and they wear red and other such colors", when they're trying to makea point]

First off, the article was written by a woman.

Also, she called goth and emo "cults", a cult is something you get brainwashed into, not one goth that I know has ever been forced into being goth. Now, if you don't find that she called a subculture you are (apparently) involved in a cult offencive, that's your opinion, but I for one find it disgusting that it is allowable in the media to spead yet more lies that aren't researched properly.

When it comes to people saying that we listen to Marilyn Mason or that we are a "dangerous teenage cult" I'd much rather perfer that I get labelled as a Mansonite than a mindless drone.

Yes, she got the stereotype, right, but she presented this as fact. I know people who's parents, friends and damned teachers read the Daily Mail. It is already hard enough to walk around in black in this country, it is not needed that we must have yet more falsehood reinforced upon us.

Well doy, of course I know that black is the main colour of goth. Though, it is kind of hard to see past the blinding flourecent pink at Sisters of Marcy concerts. stare  

Isobel Bellamy

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:25 pm
That was amusing.
Sad, but amusing.
Not sure weither to laugh or cry at that "cult" thing
I do feel a bit bd for the kids who's parents read that and have too little sense to see how it's a bit on the riddiculous side.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:30 pm
GweeTree
*I don't see any cuts in that picture so she's not a real emo - or they didn't want to shock us.*

They don't show her arms in it, plus she's most likely just a model they hired. I was just hoping they'd at least put on the regulation amount of eyeliner on her for ease of emo spotting for fretful parents rolleyes  

Isobel Bellamy

Dante Omura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:11 pm
The press is only good at reporting a few things

1.The Weather
2. The Lives of the rich and famous

AND THATS ALL everything else they get horribly wrong or miss out on details  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:33 pm
What the hell? This is bogus! The "emos" at my school are ok...I mean, they don't carve up their arms or anything! And besides, cutting does NOT equal emo. I cut, and I'm DEFINATELY not emo.  

Nazo no Kanjojin

Wynter Sparrow

Melodious Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:37 pm
Isobel Bellamy
GweeTree

They don't show her arms in it, plus she's most likely just a model they hired. I was just hoping they'd at least put on the regulation amount of eyeliner on her for ease of emo spotting for fretful parents rolleyes

The girl in the picture is a character from an English soap called Coronation Street, she isn't a goth in real life. Her character had a storyline where her and her boyfriend become goths. They never cut themselves or anything like that. All they really did was piss off their parents.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

They are not goths anymore.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:40 pm
I hate ignorant people. I really do. talk2hand  

TheWitchGotRobin

[ Die Katze ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:57 pm
that made me laugh.

hysterically.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:47 pm
Wow, that was really pathetic and horribly written. All that she used is stereotypical fact. I bet none of it is even based on actual statistics. There is very little human research done.

I hate stereotypes. The only reason stereotypes exist is because it's a judgement based on lack of correct information. When people start accepting them is when everything becomes worse.  

Dirzdra

Corpse_Bride_131

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:22 pm
This chick needs to go ******** die. Ugh.... b***h. I bet she doesn't know one thing about.....anything!!!!! UGH!!!!! *Goes and celebrates self mutaltion with my 'cult'* 0.o stare  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:27 pm
i find that article truly discusting and you dont need eyeliner to be emo trust me i know for i am an emo/goth/punk  

darkrock64

Dorian Requiem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:15 pm
Err...

"too bloodless to lift a finger." We should introduce her to some of the vampire-goth out their, and I mean the ones that are closer to the stereotype too.

I know it can be easy or fun to give anything to do with 'Emo' flack, but, I'm starting to get tired of it and defend it.

[rant=]Hell the other night I almost got into a fight with a gang because they were trying to insult a few friends and me with queer and emo related comments. I assure you, we don't claim to be any subculture, but we looked 'goth' if anything.

(2 girls, one guy and me) My (guy) friend kept saying "We're not emo" and trying to reason with them. The girls just sat their and watched.

I was about ready to hit them because they thought a lifestyle was an insult. I may or may not be anything I get called, but I do hate when people attempt to use thing as an insult. Sadly we didn't fight, and that wouldn't change anything anyways. [/rant]  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff