Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
A tougher "literacy" quiz. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:27 am
http://jcomm.uoregon.edu/~russial/grammar/grambo.html

I posted it in the other thread, but I feel it would've gotten ignored, being on page 8.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:47 pm
Nice man! That was fun and educational. I got only one wrong, but sometimes I was right for the wrong reason.  

Gachetemas

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:51 pm
Score: 4/10...

*slinks off and hides under a rock*  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:38 pm
Wow. A 5 out of 10. burning_eyes  

Zealot of Insanity

MaruMaruMaru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:39 pm
I got 7 out of 10. rofl I think part of that was pure luck. That was tough stuff! Entertaining, too.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:01 pm
I got a 5 - 10. whee

That test was hard.

McRabbit

Silver and Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:03 am
Bah! I'm bad with figuring out sentences like that...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:52 pm
I got nine right. Then I again, I'm excellent and checking the grammar of others. It's my own grammar that's pretty terrible... ninja Well, not as bad as someone who uses nothing but chat speak. But not stellar or anything.  

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

Incoherent Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:33 pm
9 out of 10. I amazed myself.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:13 pm
Fun quiz...  

Trigger--Happy--Girl

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:48 pm
Those dog-goned dangling modifyers get me every time. I clocked a 6/10. *sadly slinks away to sulk on the sofa*  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:27 pm
I got 9/10.  

Kupo Ikari

Alexa488

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:22 pm
I dunno. .. I don't think "Ducks" is supposed to be capitalized, and I had concerns about the requirement of some of the commas. I was taught some comma stuff as aesthetics--like, "well, you can have a comma between these two conjunctions, or a semi colon if you'd prefer. . ."

Then again, I believe my formal education in grammar is sadly lacking!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:54 am
I only have one qualm with this quiz - it favours American grammar; in British and Commonwealth punctuation, commas may go outside of the quotes depending on the context. Other than that, it's quite good. I got most correct - I disagree with them, as usual. It seems like every test that I take I feel like something ought to be wrong, but it's really just my style getting the better of me. Because I tend to write more formally, I feel that informal sentences are incorrect, despite being grammatically and technically correct. Difficult, ne?  

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:40 am
Keakealani
I only have one qualm with this quiz - it favours American grammar; in British and Commonwealth punctuation, commas may go outside of the quotes depending on the context. Other than that, it's quite good. I got most correct - I disagree with them, as usual. It seems like every test that I take I feel like something ought to be wrong, but it's really just my style getting the better of me. Because I tend to write more formally, I feel that informal sentences are incorrect, despite being grammatically and technically correct. Difficult, ne?

No. In British English this test is still correct; in this particular case, the two systems are the same. That's probably why he chose that example.

And I have no idea how having a "formal" style would affect you in this quiz.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff