Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
How you can fail:

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[-]Battery[+]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:34 pm
I don't have any examples of this, but it is commonly said by my teachers and I have been wondering if it's happened to anyone else.

We all know of 'Txt talk', and that people use it on computers and phones and such. Well, it is a sad fact that there are people who are so used to typing words incorrectly that they seem to forget Standard English.

And, perhaps you may know of very important tests like G.C.S.E's, A levels, etcetera. Well, believe it or not, there are people who use this form of language in their tests, and loose marks because of it.

What a shame, that by using text language people could fail.

I suppose it's another reason to use Standard English more often. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:21 pm
I've actually seen this happen. It's truely sad that my english teacher from the 10th grade had to tell people to NOT write like that and to actually spell out their words....  

Goth_chi

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:42 pm
My mom, a language arts teacher for Arabic, caught her students using txt tlk, in Arabic!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:24 pm
Luna Ishukan
My mom, a language arts teacher for Arabic, caught her students using txt tlk, in Arabic!

That's 50% cool and 50% scary at the same time.

It's scary because all txt tlk is scary, but it's cool because I didn't know txt tlk could exist in different alphabets. *stupid*

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:24 am
chinasmiling
I don't have any examples of this, but it is commonly said by my teachers and I have been wondering if it's happened to anyone else.

We all know of 'Txt talk', and that people use it on computers and phones and such. Well, it is a sad fact that there are people who are so used to typing words incorrectly that they seem to forget Standard English.

And, perhaps you may know of very important tests like G.C.S.E's, A levels, etcetera. Well, believe it or not, there are people who use this form of language in their tests, and loose marks because of it.

I know the feeling. I have friends whom I constantly tell to use English that is actually intelligible instead of txt tlk, but the never listen. Then again, no one listens to me. xp

loose lose  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:34 am
chrystalclear
chinasmiling

I know the feeling. I have friends whom I constantly tell to use English that is actually intelligible instead of txt tlk, but the never listen. Then again, no one listens to me. xp

loose lose

Oops, thank you. XD (For the correction)  

[-]Battery[+]

Pmyi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:48 am
I type everything out when I'm on the Internet unless I'm 'mocking' someone or something, so I do tend to get insulted when teachers say that ALL teenagers use webslang. It's like, "...I don't." D:

It's really scary though when I get asked how to spell "you" and other words like that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:54 pm
wow. scary. and stupid. I'll admit I've turned in a paper with the & sign in it. But that's because I forgot to undo it when I was recopying my rough draft into my final draft... I didn't know people would be stupid enough do to it in major exams and tests though.  

Polarregression

she_died_smiling

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:59 pm
It is taking over. I fear that soon the English language will be nonexistant. My friends and are speak in proper English, and it annoys us that people abuse it so badly.

Writing in txt would be the worst thing you could do on a test. You were taught to spell and use grammer for a reason. Do they not understand that?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:43 pm
We will soon be fighting for Kings English. I swear, we'll soon have to use good grammar in secret. Also, we would never be able to even speak normally. Oh, how the future is bleak.

I reject the reality and susitute it with the English Language.

Archdemonessa

"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff