Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Paradoxes and Oxymorons Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:57 pm
I would hope that someone could explain what a paradox and an oxymoron are. I have never really understanded what they mean, and I would appreciate it a lot. Also, if there are any other words that are constantly confused with these ones, can someone name them and describe their meanings?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:58 am
chrystalclear
I would hope that someone could explain what a paradox and an oxymoron are. I have never really understanded what they mean, and I would appreciate it a lot. Also, if there are any other words that are constantly confused with these ones, can someone name them and describe their meanings?

A paradox is an event or set of events that cannot (co)exist. These are examples of paradoxes:

This sentence is false.

The following sentence is false.
The previous sentence is true.

Going back in time and killing an ancestor prior to your birth (assuming time is constrained to only one flow)

An oxymoron is a phrase which seems to contradict itself but doesn't, really. Examples:

Jumbo Shrimp
Current History
Military Intelligence  

The Man who was Thursday

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:47 pm
It makes sense, but it hurts your head. gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:10 am
An oxymoron is two opposite words together.
A paradox is a phrase (more than two words) that contradicts itself but makes sense.  

Elanchana

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:28 pm
Ezra Pound

Military Intelligence

That really made me laugh. rofl mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:48 am
Elanchana
An oxymoron is two opposite words together.
A paradox is a phrase (more than two words) that contradicts itself but makes sense.

Actually a paradox doesn't necessarily make sense--in fact it often doesn't.  

The Man who was Thursday

Silver and Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:04 am
Jumbo Shrimp, Extra Large Petite, Iced Tea...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:15 am
An oxymoron doesn't always contradict itself, it can sometimes just be two opposite words in close proximity to each other (generally within a sentence):

A light shone from the otherwise dark house.  

mr1989foster

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:36 pm
A great example of a paradox was explained in Ray Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder. Eckels, the man who went on the dinosaur hunt asked the guide if they saw themselves in the past and saw how the hunt turned out.

"But if you come back this morning in Time," said Eckels eagerly, you must've bumped into us, our Safari! How did it turn out? Was it successful? Did all of us get through-alive?"

Travis and Lesperance gave each other a look.

"That'd be a paradox," said the latter. "Time doesn't permit that sort of mess-a man meeting himself. When such occasions threaten, Time steps aside. Like an airplane hitting an air pocket. You felt the Machine jump just before we stopped? That was us passing ourselves on the way back to the Future. We saw nothing. There's no way of telling if this expedition was a success, if we got our monster, or whether all of us - meaning you, Mr. Eckels - got out alive."

Eckels smiled palely.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:54 pm
My favorite oxymoron: Microsoft Works.  

here_in_heart

Dante Omura

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:10 pm
I never really could explain them but I knew how to spot them. Oxymorons and Paradoxes I mean. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:10 pm
here_in_heart
My favorite oxymoron: Microsoft Works.

xd That is mine as well.  

Litia_Echo

Slappy the Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:54 pm
Hey! I like Microsoft!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:52 pm
Emotional Shinobi
Hey! I like Microsoft!

That's beyond the point, it was only an oxymoron... ;]  

play it loud

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:11 pm
Paradoxes are fun biggrin

For example, the opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a truth can be another truth.

I know that I know nothing.

Deep down, he's very shallow.

If you went back in time and killed your gradfather (before your dad/mom was born), then would you exist? Logic says no. But then who killed your grandfather? Nobody. So he isn't dead. So you still exist, and you still kill him. But...

Hehe, Microsoft Works. Although I like Microsoft, it's still tremendously funny smile  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff