Reply The Official Australian Guild
Culture and Langauge tests for citizenship. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ozumou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
What do you think of JHs new push for a culture test and increased langauge abilities in new citizens?

I think it is a jok, in part because the fed govt has not been supporting
ESL teaching very well of late, and secondly, Who decides what parts of Aussie culture will be tested?

Make up your aussie culture tests here?

e.g.

Who was teh greatest Cricketer ever?

a) Don Bradman
b) john howard
c) Satan.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:23 pm
Oh! I know the answer to that question! Its c. Satan. xd

But jokes aside. It is kinda like the (Oh ******** I can't remember what it is called) I think it was called the White Australia test, where the government had a test that people had to do before they could enter australia. They made the tests hard so that they could keep out the people they didn't want. I'll add more later. I can't be bothered going into much depth with this subject at this time. sweatdrop

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

Shail Stonrend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:25 am
What do you put on the bbq?

A. Snags
B. Prawns
C. Beer  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:36 am
all three.... well i do razz

yeah, im a bit 50:50 about this, as yeah itll be nice to understand my neighbours... where i live, the majority of the things you hear are in spanish/english combinations, or indian... not that i have a thing about it, but english is good....

ild like to see if i can pass the test, before i want it given to other people... its like studying for your bah mitzvah... razz  

scruffy012

Shail Stonrend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:57 am
I can understand having a language test, say your in an accident and your allergic to some drug but you cant tell emergency services because of language barriers?

But a culture test? Still hazy about what aussie culture really is anyway myself.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:41 am
Along with the White australa policy there was also a "language test" used to keep out Whites the Oz govt did not want.

It was a test of any European language

So if you were an English communist they would give you a test in French.

One "Undesirable" was a prof of modern languages,
the govt eventually gave him a test in Gaelic so he would fail  

Ozumou

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:53 pm
Yeah that was it. The White Australia Policy. It was anyone they wanted to keep out. Mainly different coloured skins.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:34 pm
eh im American lol but its kewl learning bout this stuff ! 4laugh  

kitsunelilly

Simonluvs69

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:40 am
Theres not a major problem with the idea of the test, its just the way they went about it and the questions asked... I saw a copy of the test on the news or something, i barely got 50% gonk Im as Aussie as they come, but s**t.. i dont know our complete history or geographical layout!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:05 am
It would have been funny seeing aborigines asking white settlers questions before they came here.

like:
when was the the dream time
which end of a didge do you blow on
What comes back if you throw it.
a. A dodgy check
b. A Boomerang
c. Your mother in-law  

Shail Stonrend

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:56 pm
Shail Stonrend
It would have been funny seeing aborigines asking white settlers questions before they came here.

like:
when was the the dream time
which end of a didge do you blow on
What comes back if you throw it.
a. A dodgy check
b. A Boomerang
c. Your mother in-law
The answer to that is c. rofl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:49 pm
ever seen that mockumentary called BARBIECUEAREA?

its about what would happen if Aboriginal settlers turned up now
and took over Oz.  

Ozumou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:58 am
I'm a bit indecisive about whether a test like this would be good or not. I mean, my parents immigrated here 23 years ago knowing hardly anything and they learnt the ways of Australia including some English once they got here.

I guess knowing how to speak English is important, and I suppose that would be tested if there was such a test, but there's really no need for prior knowledge of Australian culture until they get here in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:52 am
There are some countries in the world which still have very strict rules on citizenship, but I suppose this is merely for migrants.

An English test has it's practical applications, but it's a cheap solution. If we want people to come to the country, we should have easily accesable language classes within Australia. I know people who's parents and grandparents still can't speak proper English, but have been living here for quite some time.

A test on culture and national values is just a load a bollocks; I really don't see the necessity of it, because I don't think its a conscious part of society that would really create all that much conflict.

And finally, I like asking people about places they've come from, or places they've been. It's interesting. 3nodding  

WellzY
Crew

nrasjaa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:31 am
i think that quizzy is un-australian.

i mean, honestly, we are the country that doesn't sing the whole national anthem for gods sake!! how is a quiz like that even remotely symbolising the australian culture!! and like we are a country of equal oppotunity!! and lets not forget that australia is build on the blood sweat and tears of MIGRANTS and CONVICTS!!

i reackon, they're on the right track however, we should show future migrants a video of how australia is really like. i think the dutch do that, they're like "we have pretty tulips and our prostitues pay tax and homosexality is legal" so if the newbies can't handle it, then tough!!  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff