Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
A cultural question.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WarKitty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:17 am
The home page for our guild talks about protecting the Kings English. I was wondering what that means in an American context.

In England we would talk about correct grammar etc as simply being the English language. We would call it the Queens English (because we currently have a Queen) or Received Pronunciation when it is spoken out loud (with no accent affecting it- though that is part of the whole, isn't RP just another accent debate).  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:50 pm
I just put that to add an air of class.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

WarKitty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:55 am
Yami no Hitokiri

Ah, I thought it was because there was a king on the English throne when America separated, so thats where you trace you 'English' language back too. Thats a bit daft isn't it? Like wearing plastic earings in an attempt to look classy?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:12 am
Well, I suppose kings do look classy...

Also, isn't the Queen's English also known as Standard English, or are they both the same thing?

And, as I'm thinking about it, do the Americans use Standard English?  

[-]Battery[+]

Missy Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:27 pm
I didn't know that there were different types of english. I guess I learn something new every day!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:05 pm
Word choice to loook classy, also known as diction. It makes sense though.  

Arianna La Moire

Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:20 pm
WarKitty
Yami no Hitokiri

Ah, I thought it was because there was a king on the English throne when America separated, so thats where you trace you 'English' language back too. Thats a bit daft isn't it? Like wearing plastic earings in an attempt to look classy?

I wonder are the majority of British people still bitter about the revoloution?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:59 am
I've always known Queen's (or King's) English to be the most correct form of English. Supposedly there is no standard English because of all the dialects out there, but I think that Queen's English is the standard. I think American English is slightly different because I've heard people wanting to learn English specify either American or British English. (Although I'm not an expert on this, so don't hold me to this.)

And yes, it does add class, and I think it refers to a more proper form of the language.  

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:12 am
Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom
WarKitty
Yami no Hitokiri

Eh, I bet the majority of the British people don't care about the revolution.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:30 pm
metalmalzan
Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom
WarKitty
Yami no Hitokiri

I know I don't... But then i'm not British... And I don't live in Britain... Well... I guess I sort of am British, As most of my country is from Britain. Well, not the country... Just the people in the country!  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

play it loud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:02 am
metalmalzan
Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom
WarKitty
Yami no Hitokiri

You got that right, sorry I'm out of gold stars.

Anyway, don't say Americans use Standard English. They use bad English. If they can't accept and use our language, then simply do not use it. I couldn't care less. But, defacing and degrading the Queen's English is just horrible. Colour has a "u" in it, get used to it.

Thanks for your time, you've been wonderful.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games