Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
senior paper Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:37 pm
so guess what I'm doing my senior paper on... that's right, fiber art/textiles. whee I know I'm so lame, but I love it. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:44 pm
cool.

so I am guessing that this senior paper thing is the kind of thing that I would actually know about if I had actually finished high school like I was suposed to.
or if I had been american and not australian.

let us know how its going,
I would love to read it.  

I be me
Vice Captain

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:57 am
I think that's a good choice for a paper. In school I always found that I wrote better reports/papers on subjects that I was actually interested in.
A senior paper wasn't required when I graduated from high school thank goodness.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:13 pm
I probably will post it.

she (my teach) told us to do it on some thing we really like... so it will show in the paper, and so manny people are doing it on things that... well as far as school thing's, its a little better...but I'm just not one of those people who get really jazzed for an autobiography. sweatdrop
so I thinought I'd do it on something I *actually like*.  

Lee Kushrenada

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:15 am
Sounds like a good topic to me, although it's really, really broad. Are you going to narrow it down at all?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:16 am
DecemberFlower
Sounds like a good topic to me, although it's really, really broad. Are you going to narrow it down at all?

yes... I THINK I'm going to talk about the history of it, and how its changed... but I'm still playing with the idea.  

Lee Kushrenada

firrantello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:54 pm
Lee Kushrenada
DecemberFlower

yes... I THINK I'm going to talk about the history of it, and how its changed... but I'm still playing with the idea.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.something along those lines to consider: look for knitting in artwork through the ages. i know somewhere (i can't remember the title or artist for the life of me) there's a picture of the virgin mary knitting on dpns. i also know there's a semi-famous photo of sojourner truth knitting. that could be an interesting thing to address in the paper.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:24 am
firrantello
Lee Kushrenada
DecemberFlower

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.something along those lines to consider: look for knitting in artwork through the ages. i know somewhere (i can't remember the title or artist for the life of me) there's a picture of the virgin mary knitting on dpns. i also know there's a semi-famous photo of sojourner truth knitting. that could be an interesting thing to address in the paper.

but...from what I've found...knitting was not around in Jesus' time. sweatdrop
I'm finding all that I can but there is little about alot of it that is absolute. sweatdrop  

Lee Kushrenada

firrantello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:00 pm
Lee Kushrenada
firrantello

I'm finding all that I can but there is little about alot of it that is absolute. sweatdrop
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.no, it wasn't regular, but i want to say there's some research about it being in egypt in the pharohs eras. also, i wasn't necessarily saying use art with it, but use the representation of it in art as a topic.
i know there's stuff about knitting in the medieval period (check with the SCA, they probably have some resources about it, or they could direct you that way)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:08 pm
I read once in a fashion book when knitting started, but I don't have the book on me and can't rember for the life of me when it was, so I think it was henry the 8th, but I think everthing old is henry the 8th because he was famous.  

I be me
Vice Captain

Maer^ier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:22 pm
I be me
I read once in a fashion book when knitting started, but I don't have the book on me and can't rember for the life of me when it was, so I think it was henry the 8th, but I think everthing old is henry the 8th because he was famous.
It's pretty much the same for me...

I didn't think that fiber "art" actually exsisted much before mondern days. Or does knitting/crocheting for useful purposes qualify as art? I don't know, I guess I'm still kind of boggled by fiber art because the only example I've ever heard of was a brief mention of a big ball of yarn with razors in it. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:29 am
Maer^ier
I be me
It's pretty much the same for me...

I didn't think that fiber "art" actually exsisted much before mondern days. Or does knitting/crocheting for useful purposes qualify as art? I don't know, I guess I'm still kind of boggled by fiber art because the only example I've ever heard of was a brief mention of a big ball of yarn with razors in it. sweatdrop

no the old stuff is still art... and really its just what its called.

and there is no one guy who started knitting... there are just the thing's that are knitted that are the oldest.  

Lee Kushrenada

Kathelyne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:12 am
firrantello
Lee Kushrenada
firrantello

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.no, it wasn't regular, but i want to say there's some research about it being in egypt in the pharohs eras. also, i wasn't necessarily saying use art with it, but use the representation of it in art as a topic.
i know there's stuff about knitting in the medieval period (check with the SCA, they probably have some resources about it, or they could direct you that way)

As far as I know knitting is not medieval or earlier, its why in the SCA we avoid knitted fabrics. Now naalbinding (sp) is viking, and to untrained eyes they might think its knitting, but its not. The only evidence of knitting I have seen in europe for medieval times has been later re-defined as naalbinding.

And remember, a painting of the virgin mary doesn't mean there was knitting in the time of Jesus, it means people knitted in the time it was painted it.

The earliest reference I know of to knitting has been of knitten hosebelonging to Queen Elizabeth 1

Though there may be earlier references, as I haven't looked into the history of knitting. but spinning and weaving and such are fibrearts that were practiced greatly in the medieval times  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:46 pm
I would love to get into the SCA some day...when I have the time and the means.

I know knitting is not that old, but I will just give the history of it however old that is, and then talk about it today.  

Lee Kushrenada

firrantello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:34 am
Kathelyne
As far as I know knitting is not medieval or earlier, its why in the SCA we avoid knitted fabrics. Now naalbinding (sp) is viking, and to untrained eyes they might think its knitting, but its not. The only evidence of knitting I have seen in europe for medieval times has been later re-defined as naalbinding.

And remember, a painting of the virgin mary doesn't mean there was knitting in the time of Jesus, it means people knitted in the time it was painted it.

The earliest reference I know of to knitting has been of knitten hosebelonging to Queen Elizabeth 1

Though there may be earlier references, as I haven't looked into the history of knitting. but spinning and weaving and such are fibrearts that were practiced greatly in the medieval times
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Ok, the SCA group I was with said knitting as long as it was wooden DPNs was probably OK as long as you were doing something basic (like hose).

I never said that the painting of Mary knitting meant that knitting was in that era, I did say however that looking at depictions of knitting in art would be an interesting tie in to the history of knitting, not that the depictions of knitting were history of knitting.

Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff