View Results

Anabis

Monster Mage

21,250 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:16 pm
I've been wondering people's veiws on this for a while, so I guess it's time I actually ask x3

What do you think of working with other cultures?

Like, for example, I click with Hades as well as Demeter from Greek patheon, but at the same time I also click with Anubis from the Egyption patheon.

So what's your views, all you lovely people? Do you think cultures should be kept seperate? Do you think it fun to see them (Deities from two cultures) interacting? I'm just curious.

Sorry if this topic's come up before ^^;  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:00 pm
I do normally deal with the Greek pantheon myself, but sometimes I do mix it up with Norse gods. I have no problem with it.  

Seira Relur

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:51 pm
It should work fine as long as the two don't clash horribly 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:19 pm
Wow. This topic kinda got brought up in another guild I'm in so I'm almost reluctant to say anything. But then again, people in this guild tend to be nice.
I think that some deities probably would clash with each other, especially if they are representing different aspects or completely different cultures. But sometimes they can also work together pretty well.
I don't think ctultures should be kept closed and segregated unless thats what the gods want.
In the end you have to do some searching and questioning on your own to find which gods will work with each other and which won't. I think that if they're from a culture that is physically close by they'd probably work better. Like Greek and Egyptian deities.  

iolitefire

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:41 am
It really depends on the deities you're working with; I worked with Bast and Cernunnous for a brief time, and they got along together wonderfully. My current tirad, while consisting oc Celtic deities, is a mix from the different pantheons that fall under the lable "Celtic"; currently, I'm Irish/Welsh. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:22 pm
I think that the best thing to do is to research and to ask the gods themselves. There are some deities who just can't stand each other and others who get along just fine. The big thing is that, if either research or the gods tell you not to mix, don't push it. I've seen too many bad things happen to people who insisted on invoking Freya and Venus together. xp  

midara the happy banshee

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:06 am
I'm going with everyone else in that you should be more careful about the individual aspects of the deities involved. You wouldn't want to invoke Ares and Enki together, while at the same time, you wouldn't want to stay in the same pantheon with Aphrodite and Artemis.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:43 pm
I think it's good, just as long as you don't get too carried away and let them clash together and backfire.... and that can happen, trust me on that, i still have emotional scars to prove it.  

Aquajade

Defenestrated23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:43 pm
I studied Latin for five years, so I seem to go for the Greco/Roman pantheon, though I also think Egyptian deities are interesting. I think studying all sorts of theisms is fascinating, really.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:46 am
From what I've heard, ancient cultures shared gods and goddesses quite frequently. Though I tend to identify with the Celts, I sometimes invoke Greek and Roman deities as well. If it works, I say go for it.  

Schizovan

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:11 am
The question of working with other cultures and working with deities from other cultures strikes me as two seperate questions. The first is a resounding: of course it's okay! Working with deities from other cultures? I don't personally do that unless you count learning about them as working with them. I don't have much of an issue with those who do either, through I could imagine some circumstances where some might consider it innapropriate. It's useful to both view the cultures within thier seperate contexts and draw comparissons between them. Each has its own particular strengths and possible abuses.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:08 am
Unless I'm wrong, aren't the Norse and Greek buddy-buddy, or is that seen only in Marvel comics? sweatdrop  

AFK Masturbating

Kakure Basho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:44 pm
I love working with and learning about other cultures. I find them fascinating!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:15 pm
Celestia Whitesword
Unless I'm wrong, aren't the Norse and Greek buddy-buddy, or is that seen only in Marvel comics? sweatdrop

I'm not sure if that's seen anywhere else, but it's probably not true. The Greeks didn't have extensive (if any) contact with the Norse, so there wasn't any real religious syncretism. The Greek and Egyptian pantheons had fairly extensive intermingling, as did the Greeks and Persians, Etruscans, and other cultures in the region.  

midara the happy banshee

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces