Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
uh oh! Granny Squares!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gold is good
  but so is being able to make a granny square!
View Results

Fenhir Noble

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:03 pm
Ok, so I went over to another city to visit a friend, and her room mate showed me quickly how to make a granny square. Ok. I tried it out, but I have soooo much trouble everytime I start a new row. I chain 5, make a slip stitch. Then I have to chain 3 (first dc) then I dc in the ring. I make 3 dc, ch 2 then another 3 dc. In total, I should have 4 groups of 3 dc. Then I'd start the next row with ch 3, then dc in the 'in betweens' of two dc.
That's fine and dandy in theory, only my chain of three dosen't look like a dc, it ends up being all crooked. Even the first 3 chain after forming the ring is ugly and looks off. Here's pics.

(in to ilustrate, it ends up looking like this
||||||
instead of
|||||| (where | is a dc)

here's the pic already.. I've circled the problematic areas.

User Image

and

User Image

don't mind the chem book that it was on... redface  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:08 am
It's hard to tell from the picture, but in all honesty, the ch 3 rarely ever looks like a dc. It's just supposed to bring your work "up" to the next round if that makes sence.  

Catcheen
Crew

Fenhir Noble

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:03 am
ah... ok.... after I'm done a row, I make a sl st in one of the 3 ch right? Does it matter which one?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:26 am
Fenhir Noble
ah... ok.... after I'm done a row, I make a sl st in one of the 3 ch right? Does it matter which one?

The top one.  

Catcheen
Crew

Fenhir Noble

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:42 am
Ok. Thanks!
I've tried it again, and it dosen't look sooooo horrible.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:10 pm
Only thing I can see is it doesn't look like your chain 3 is in the corner. When I was taught granny squares, I was shown to make the chain 3 in the corner, so that the chain 3 is sort of hidden by the follow up:

Row 2: ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc, then continue on in pattern.  

Keiyla

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:11 pm
I dunno. It looks perfectly fine to me. No one's ever gonna look that closely at your blanket. But if the largeness of it bothers you, why not make it a chain 2? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:55 pm
It's not the largeness that bothers me, it's the fact that the ch3 looks flimsy compared to the dc and it's at an angle... the ch3 ends up right on top of a post instead of in between like the rest of the dc.

And Keiyla, that's what I do....  

Fenhir Noble

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:31 am
Mine do that too. There's really not much you can do about it.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games