Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Weekly Show and Tell for week of November 8th Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

taligator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:04 am
Well, I thought I'd start off this topic since I finished a scarf yesterday.

I finished the One-Skein Scarf from the Stitch 'n b***h Crochet: the Happy Hooker book by Deb Stoller.

It's a pretty little design, very simple to make but tedious in that it's worked lengthwise, it makes for a long chain (203 actually).

I got the pattern at Michaels in one of their leaflets but it obviously comes in the book. It calls for a skein of Paton's Classic Merino - I ended up using Cascade 220 in a teal green, which doesn't show up well in the pictures. I did buy the Paton's for another project but think that for the quality and value the Cascade 220 is a better. It's got a nice touch to it and is very silky. The colors are amazing and it doesn't split as badly as the Paton's does.

Pardon the poor images, I'm going to wash and block it tonight and then take different pics with better lighting and detail work.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

(edited title for clarity wink )  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:10 am
I don't crochet, though I'd like to learn, and when I do I think I'm going to get that book. 3nodding
very nice scarf. wink  

Lee Kushrenada

taligator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:23 am
The One-Skein scarf pattern is freely available on the Paton's website.

If you need any help let me know .. this particular pattern is very easy to do and would make a fair beginner project.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:45 am
This week i'm still working on my dad's christmas present. I'm making him a scard with a seed stitch, using wool ease thick and quick, in black. I'm on the second ball of it, so i should be finished soon.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

firrantello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:10 pm
@ taligator: It's definitely cute smile

I'm still (slowly) working on my boyfriend's blanket. But I honestly haven't been knitting much lately sweatdrop
I think it's to do with a combination of the yarn I want I can't afford and I haven't found any new projects that jump at me to be done.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:56 am
I just finished a few more crocheted egg toys for the ferret shelter and I'm working on the goddess filet bookmark found here http://www.llewellynjournal.com/article.php?id=1011 It's been forever since I've done filet and this looked like a good project to practice on.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

taligator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:47 pm
Since I'm circularly challenged I thought I'd try and teach myself to make a hat. I got it halfway done and realized that it was HUGE, I had somehow added too many stiches so I frogged it and started over and then again, halfway through I realized it was still not right.

I started over this morning and am still off on my stitches. I will have to sit and focus on it awhile to find out what the heck is going on.

But, for those who are having difficulty learning how to crochet in rounds, this is a very good tutorial. I tried making one of his hats and I think the instructions are good I'm just missing something, or adding to many somethings. wink

ForestGreen - I like that bookmark. I've got the thread and hooks for filet but haven't found a tutorial that resonated with me. Most are too vague and I know it's simple enough to do but I just need more instructions. I'll save that for later to look at, once I master those darn circles. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:51 pm
@Tallgator: I had that problem when I was making cosplay caps. I don't use patterns, so I was guessing on everything. Start with a swatch ( I usually make it ten stitches by ten rows), and measure it. Then measure your head. If you get 10 stitches in 2 1/2", and your head is 18" around (I'm making up these numbers sweatdrop ), then you would need about 75 stitches to cast on.  

knitting_needle_ninja

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:07 pm
taligator
ForestGreen - I like that bookmark. I've got the thread and hooks for filet but haven't found a tutorial that resonated with me. Most are too vague and I know it's simple enough to do but I just need more instructions. I'll save that for later to look at, once I master those darn circles. smile

Once you get the basics down, filet is simple in theory. I always make my double crochet stitches too short and my chain stitches too long though, so the picture turns out all wonky. I also have a little trouble counting the stitches in the beginning chain. I'm hoping that with enough practice I will get my stitching problems worked out well enough so I can make a small wall hanging for one of my cousins.
My daughter saw the bookmark patterns today and told me I can make the ankh for her. LOL  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:52 am
I love these threads, though I always do feel like changing the title because in australia its 5/10 not 10/5 and you always make me stare at the date for a little while before I work out what is going on.

And for the last three days I have been pulling eight to ten hour shifts to get a shop ready to open tomorow, so I haven't been doing much crafting. or anything that isn't sleeping or going to work or going from work or being at work.

But I did recently (like a few days ago) decorate a pinboard by pinning (the glue got packed already) a bit of wraping paper over the cork bit and painting the frame.  

I be me
Vice Captain

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:15 am
ForestGreen
I just finished a few more crocheted egg toys for the ferret shelter and I'm working on the goddess filet bookmark found here http://www.llewellynjournal.com/article.php?id=1011 It's been forever since I've done filet and this looked like a good project to practice on.
eek I have to try that now *runs off to find the itty bitty hooks that kill her wrists*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:28 am
I be me
I love these threads, though I always do feel like changing the title because in australia its 5/10 not 10/5 and you always make me stare at the date for a little while before I work out what is going on.

just for you I changed the title ... wink  

taligator

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:39 am
Remember that sculpture project I was ranting about? Well here it is:

Side
Detail

We had to do a soft sculpture--the prof wanted sewing, but he also said sculpture could be anything, so I decided to crochet. It's going to be a candy basket for our coffee table (which it is currently sitting on). The yarn is recycled silk (a fund raiser for women in Nigeria) with coated wire woven through it. I love the wire; it's a special kind that will adhear to sculpy when you bake it. I use it for a lot of projects.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:13 am
LadyAnubis - very nice!

Is that the recycled sari's? I have been thinking of purchasing some of that and making a hacket of some sort with it but don't know how it would be to work with it.

Tonight is the local Meetup meeting for crocheters in my area. It'll be interesting to see who comes to these things ..

If you are looking for a knitting, crochet, sewing, etc, group to attend check out Meetup.com for your area.  

taligator

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:03 pm
taligator
LadyAnubis - very nice!

Is that the recycled sari's? I have been thinking of purchasing some of that and making a hacket of some sort with it but don't know how it would be to work with it.

Tonight is the local Meetup meeting for crocheters in my area. It'll be interesting to see who comes to these things ..

If you are looking for a knitting, crochet, sewing, etc, group to attend check out Meetup.com for your area.

I don't know what it's made of, except that it's silk. These women in Nigeria tear appart old clothes, make yarn, sell it, and get money for their families.

I've been thinking about checking out a local knitting/crocheting group, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Honestly, I'm a little shy, because the yarn store it's held in is a little snobby. The yarns are nice, but everything is the premium, hand dyed, $20+ a skane for something like 4oz. I'm in college people, and can't afford that. (Though I can write off that $25 skane of silk yarn now, if I ever find the recipt 3nodding )  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff