Reply ~ Main Forum ~
PLease explain Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

scott the archangel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:42 pm
I have heard alot of people talking about different kinds of goths and i was just wondering what are the different types of goths and how'r they different?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:25 pm
Off the top of my head...

Cyber goth
Industrial goth
Romantic goth
I don't know if some type of mosher fits in here...
But there's a stereotypical goth - The whole "I pretend I'm baddass, but my mum won't let me do it"

I don't really know.  

Dr. H Quinzel

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:58 pm
This is a broad question that has too many answers to put here...

However, I'll see if I can get you started.

Ignoring the definition of someone who is just a "plain" goth, here are some major sub-divisions of the culture:

Cyber-Goth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and futurist (also known as "cyber"; see below) subculture. Cybergoths dress in futuristically inspired outfits (as opposed to the typically victorian influence outfits) and typically listen to darkwave (a combination of goth-rock and electronica), such as the Cruxshadows.

RomantiGoth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and New Romantic subcultures, or draws influence from either movement. Romantigoths dress in turn-of-the-century style wear, drawing strong influence from Victorian, Edwardian, Baroque, and even Renaissance fashion. Romantigoths are sometimes mockingly called "mopey goths". Romantigoths listen to music with such influences, such as Voltaire.

Industrial-Goth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and industrial subcultures. Industrial goths take on more abrasive fashion, drawing influence from rivet-head (industrial fans) fashion, as well as militaristic influence. Industrial-goths regularly listen to darkwave (see above) and EBM (a blend of industrial and techno), such as Nitzer Ebb.

Punk-Goth/Classic Goth
Goths devoted to the early scene (which grew out of punk, obviously). These goths tend to be older, and wear fashions of the time (tight black jeans, leather jackets, black aviators, Robert-Smith-hair, etc.). They likewise listen to early goth bands and proto-goth bands, like Adam Ant or Gloria Mundi.

Deathrock-Scene
Deathrock (not to be confused with death-metal) was a dark, ominous form of punk which grew alongside goth in the early 80's. Mostly develeoped in America by a handful of bands (most noteably Christian Death). The death-rock scene has wild, violent fashion, drawing influence from glam and punk, as well as from old horror movies. The scene was eventually absorbed into the goth culture.

Psychobilly
The odd blend of goth and rockabilly subcultures. Pioneered by such bands as the Meteors and the Cramps, the style of music has a small following, which has essentially been absorbed entirely into the goth-culture. Very similar to the death-rock scene, fashion wise.

New/Neo Romantics
The New Romantic movement was a fashion and philosohy movement of the late 70's and early 80's. Equipped with effeminate, glam-inspired fashion, the New Romantics (as the original romantics did) primarily believed that science and logic only made life worse, and that faith, love, and artistic expression would make for a better life.

Futurists
The Futurist movement was a musical and philosophical movement of the late 70's and early 80's. Musically, the futurists embraced progressed, experimental synthesized music. Philosophically (in opposition to the new romantics), Futurists believed in forward-thinking and innovation, and that these things would allow for new artistic and eccumenic expression.

Neo-Goth
"Neo-goths" as a whole aren't goths, but instead, are a new wave of club-goers who wear goth-influenced fashion. Neo-goth fashion is typical club fashion, though, with a darker twist. Neo-goths listen primarily to darkwave music, leaning more towards that which is more electronic in nature, such as VNV Nation.

GRaver
GRaver is a simple portmanteau of "goth raver". GRavers are much like neo-goths, and are, rather simply, ravers who draw inspiration from the goth culture.

These are actualy subcultures. I'll get into goth slang a bit later.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:19 pm
Dr. H Quinzel
Off the top of my head...

But there's a stereotypical goth - The whole "I pretend I'm baddass, but my mum won't let me do it"

I don't really know.

Not to be rude, but some people can't really be goth in their own homes. Their parents probably don't let them because they don't like the look. It's not the persons fault, only their parents rules.  

deathcomes_onsilentwings

ketchakik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:27 pm
to oversimplyfy things
you could always say there's old goth and new goth

new goth being about like emo minus the whining
and old goth being the move victorian inspired astetic  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:32 pm
the "new" goths piss me off  

Exodus2

UraniumMonk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:58 pm
GilAskan

Ignoring the definition of someone who is just a "plain" goth, here are some major sub-divisions of the culture:

Cyber-Goth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and futurist (also known as "cyber"; see below) subculture. Cybergoths dress in futuristically inspired outfits (as opposed to the typically victorian influence outfits) and typically listen to darkwave (a combination of goth-rock and electronica), such as the Cruxshadows.

RomantiGoth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and New Romantic subcultures, or draws influence from either movement. Romantigoths dress in turn-of-the-century style wear, drawing strong influence from Victorian, Edwardian, Baroque, and even Renaissance fashion. Romantigoths are sometimes mockingly called "mopey goths". Romantigoths listen to music with such influences, such as Voltaire.

Industrial-Goth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and industrial subcultures. Industrial goths take on more abrasive fashion, drawing influence from rivet-head (industrial fans) fashion, as well as militaristic influence. Industrial-goths regularly listen to darkwave (see above) and EBM (a blend of industrial and techno), such as Nitzer Ebb.

Punk-Goth/Classic Goth
Goths devoted to the early scene (which grew out of punk, obviously). These goths tend to be older, and wear fashions of the time (tight black jeans, leather jackets, black aviators, Robert-Smith-hair, etc.). They likewise listen to early goth bands and proto-goth bands, like Adam Ant or Gloria Mundi.

Deathrock-Scene
Deathrock (not to be confused with death-metal) was a dark, ominous form of punk which grew alongside goth in the early 80's. Mostly develeoped in America by a handful of bands (most noteably Christian Death). The death-rock scene has wild, violent fashion, drawing influence from glam and punk, as well as from old horror movies. The scene was eventually absorbed into the goth culture.

Psychobilly
The odd blend of goth and rockabilly subcultures. Pioneered by such bands as the Meteors and the Cramps, the style of music has a small following, which has essentially been absorbed entirely into the goth-culture. Very similar to the death-rock scene, fashion wise.

New/Neo Romantics
The New Romantic movement was a fashion and philosohy movement of the late 70's and early 80's. Equipped with effeminate, glam-inspired fashion, the New Romantics (as the original romantics did) primarily believed that science and logic only made life worse, and that faith, love, and artistic expression would make for a better life.

Futurists
The Futurist movement was a musical and philosophical movement of the late 70's and early 80's. Musically, the futurists embraced progressed, experimental synthesized music. Philosophically (in opposition to the new romantics), Futurists believed in forward-thinking and innovation, and that these things would allow for new artistic and eccumenic expression.

Neo-Goth
"Neo-goths" as a whole aren't goths, but instead, are a new wave of club-goers who wear goth-influenced fashion. Neo-goth fashion is typical club fashion, though, with a darker twist. Neo-goths listen primarily to darkwave music, leaning more towards that which is more electronic in nature, such as VNV Nation.

GRaver
GRaver is a simple portmanteau of "goth raver". GRavers are much like neo-goths, and are, rather simply, ravers who draw inspiration from the goth culture.

This should be put in a sticky faq, seriously.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:01 pm
Exodus2

chinagrl777

ketchakik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Exodus2

as someone who was been old goth for like 10 years...i'd tend to agree  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:01 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_slang

It has "goth types" on there.  

BabyEaterLad

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:13 am
I think there are as many different definitions of goth as there are people in the subculture. Goths as a whole are like people in general — we all have slightly different tastes in music, clothes, and the kind of atmosphere we enjoy.

There's a list of types of goth here. It's from the alt.gothic online community (and it's meant to be humourous, so some of the entries are a little wacky). We're all individuals though, and not everyone is going to fit neatly into one of these.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:50 am
ketchakik
Exodus2

as someone who was been old goth for like 10 years...i'd tend to agree

i say, what the gay is a new goth?

sounds like grandpappy slang for whippersnappers who didnt do it like we did back in the day stare

Do keep in mind, theses catagorys slurr together into one giant culture

goth

back in the day all you needed was eyeliner and a good time  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:09 pm
UraniumMonk
GilAskan

Cyber-Goth

RomantiGoth

Industrial-Goth

Punk-Goth/Classic Goth

Deathrock-Scene

Psychobilly

New/Neo Romantics

Futurists

Neo-Goth

GRaver

This should be put in a sticky faq, seriously.

Thanks.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:47 pm
The only problem with making it a sticky is that people would become upset if their personal sub-lable wasn't represented, or wasn't portrayed how they felt it should be.
I do have to say the lables given were very well written and thought out, I just don't feel it would help to have a list of lables set up. Then people might feel that if they don't ascribe to at least one of the lables listed they don't belong, and that's the last thing I want people to feel.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

wicked hatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:28 am
It's hard to designate what is "old" goth and what is "new" goth. I'm 24 years old and have been goth for a long time, but I see 18 year olds picking on younger goths, saying they themselves are "old goth".. *kneads his temples* I've also myself been accused by a fourteen year old of being a "poser"..... *twitch* I say everyone should just get along and accept that goth is goth, and I'm not talking about the fashion/music trend alone, but the general being of goth. Why must there be dissention within our own genra? Remember when "goth" was a way of life, and not just a fashion trend? Let's remember that! Dark is dark is dark.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and about to be torn to shreds by elitists.. *fears the internet people*

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff