Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Questions on sticks and stones

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pot kettle black

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:32 pm
Kind of a strange question, but there you are
well actually three.

1. How would I go about attaching a branch to a slab of rock?
2. How do I make jagged stone smooth enough to hang on a wall?
3. When the stone is smooth, how do I stick one of those things onto it that you can hang from a nail?

Gracias

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:07 pm
As far as attatching things to a stone, I would go with epoxy, which you can find at craft stores. This might also work for the wall hook, depending on how heavy the piece is. So far as smoothing it out, you'll want to start with a metal rasp. These you can probably find at a hardware store. Basicly, it's a heavy duty metal file, made for stone. It's a good idea to use those with running water.

I'm not sure how far you're going with this, but in order to get it really smooth and pollished, you'll want to move on to sand paper next, starting with 80 grit, then 100, 120, 180, 200, 600, and 800. This is followed by rubbing a wax in with a soft cloth--it comes in cans, and is almost liquid; I'll see if I can find the name. Last is the polishing compound.  

knitting_needle_ninja

pot kettle black

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:20 pm
knitting_needle_ninja
As far as attatching things to a stone, I would go with epoxy, which you can find at craft stores. This might also work for the wall hook, depending on how heavy the piece is. So far as smoothing it out, you'll want to start with a metal rasp. These you can probably find at a hardware store. Basicly, it's a heavy duty metal file, made for stone. It's a good idea to use those with running water.

I'm not sure how far you're going with this, but in order to get it really smooth and pollished, you'll want to move on to sand paper next, starting with 80 grit, then 100, 120, 180, 200, 600, and 800. This is followed by rubbing a wax in with a soft cloth--it comes in cans, and is almost liquid; I'll see if I can find the name. Last is the polishing compound.

I dont want the stone to be crazy-smooth, just enough so that it rests naturally against a wall

thanks for the tips <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:32 pm
That is better advice than any I could think up.  

I be me
Vice Captain

Tes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:57 pm
OMG LAWL
I dont want the stone to be crazy-smooth, just enough so that it rests naturally against a wall

thanks for the tips <3
~
Where you end up is often directly related to where you start. Pick a good rock in the first place and you may not even have to deal with smoothing it down 3nodding
~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:59 pm
OMG LAWL

thanks for the tips <3
you might just want to glue felt to the back so that it doesnt scratch the paint on the wall 3nodding  

gemini6184

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff