Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:59 pm

I think I'll start the first topic on the subject of values. biggrin

What is your definition of a value/ what requirements must something fit to be considered a value? Also, maybe name a value or so you have and show how it works with that given definition of what is required of a thing to be a value. 3nodding

The definition of what a value is that I follow is that which serves to further the quality of life which you will try posses. These things are values because they will contribute to your ability to achieve happiness through their presence or absence, making them things "worth" having and so "valuable."

This definition leaves values that can come in hierarchies of course. Such as for me, a smaller value would be something like doing well in my English class, but it's a value because it stems from the larger value of my desire to write for a living. To do well in my English class is something to try for because it may demonstrate to me whether I am doing well in various areas of writing, or if I have weaknesses that require addressing before I can realistically expect to succeed in a writing career . I could keep going on with why I value writing and such, but unless somebody really requires the further following through of this idea, I think my point has been demonstrated. 3nodding
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:21 am
Well, growing up, our values are very similar if not identical to our Parent's, as a form of learning/mimicry. As we grow, our experiences change us, and our opinions. As our opinions/outlooks change, so does our personal concept of "right" and "wrong". As we develop our own notions of what is "right" and "wrong", our idea of "good things to do/be" aka, values, shifts as well.  

Hatelijk_en_bloeden

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:33 pm

That they do. Our values will change and grow as we become more developed individuals making up our own minds and evaluations. 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
True, true. Me ideas and thoughts in general, follow my dad's way of thinking. Though, they do seem to wander a little farther from the regular...  

vicki11

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:34 pm

So it's agreed we develop our own values as we develop ourselves, the knowledge of which being off which to base those values. 3nodding Anything anybody wants to add to that or finds in conflict with that idea? Any examples if so?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:37 pm
Well I have to disagree a little.....I don't feel that we DEVOLOP values, so much are LEARN them.

We are taught what is right and wrong and by this we extrapolate and tend to see what we are told is "right" to be "good" values and what is "wrong" to be "bad" values.

I have always felt that good and bad should be up to the person who is looking at the situation. If you have a gut feeling and are morally objective to such an act where you would not commit it then it goes against your values, but if you feel that you are doing what is fine for yourself then you practice "good" values through self preservation.

Thats the basic jist of what I have always called my "values" were....  

Wertish

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:57 am

Ah, but people don't generally do or say anything for absolutely no reason at all. There's always some motivating factor behind things, no matter how small or stupid some may be in various cases. This being the case, shouldn't we examen WHY the things we are told are good are being told to us that they are "good" and why the things we are being told are bad are "bad"? It's sure careless of a person to base their lives around standards as such without ever looking into the issue closely. You see a commercial on TV and ask yourself how much of it is believable, what might be the motivation to try to present something in a certain light, what kind of persuasive tactics are being used to sell you on something -- so if almost EVERYTHING has another cause behind it, why not examen everything, or at the least, things as important as values which asks you base your whole life around them, as critically as you would something like a commercial ad, which asks for your money alone? wink
Thus examined you may find often that what others want you to do or believe is not right or best (just like no matter how good they say it smells, you may not really need some specific extra expensive deodorant brand xp ) Having seen this, you are now not just taking whatever is given to you, you are deciding for yourself on a solid rational basis. It's not just "learning" whatever is told to you and it's not just subject to whims at all. There's real reason behind it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:30 am
I appreciate truth. I accept lying only as a weapon, in short time ratio. That is because lies only last for short periods of time and the truth will ecentually come out and boy then you'll be known as a liar. No good. Lie also really doesn't change the truth, only hides it and makes people believe wrong. I have never needed lying as a weapon all that much, because it's better to change yourself to fit the facts than trying to change the facts to fit me.

Truth and facts never change, no matter how much they are lied about, no matter if they're not known.  

Nimeton Ei Kukaan

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:57 pm

A good answer. 3nodding cool I agree.

51: Philosophy.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games