Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Learning How To Crochet

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

taligator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:37 am
I actually wrote this up for someone else who had asked but thought I'd share it here too since it's a pretty overview of learning to crochet.

~*-~*-~*-~

One of the best sites for learning crochet is called Crochet Cabana. It has a lot of tutorials and videos of the different stitches as well as more advanced topics.

I also like the Crochetville forum. It has a ton of different areas you can browse and ask questions.

We also have the Textiles and Crafts forum here on Gaia (and this Crafts guild).

I think if you go through the tutorials on Crochet Cabana you'll be good to go, just start at the top (making a slip knot) and go through to making a foundation chain and then on to single crochet. There's so much you can do with single crochet alone that you'll not find any problems with finding projects.

Now, once you've mastered the basics (chains, single crochet, double crochet, etc) then you'll probably want to move into some "real" projects and for that, Crochet Me is an excellent resource. It's full of fun and funky patterns with clear instructions. They also have a forum where you can ask questions on the patterns and the patterns creators are usually on hand to answer them.

If you are looking to make the scarf that I did, and really it is quite easy, here's the pattern for the One-Skein Scarf.

The best (IMO) How to Crochet type book is the Teach Yourself Visually Crochet book by Kim Werker (coincidentally is the founder of Crochet Me magazine).

I think that's enough to get anybody started!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:10 am
Don't forget http://www.learntocrochet.com/home.html and The Crochet Guild of America http://www.crochet.org/

I'm sure I have more links, but I'm too tired to look them up right now. Perhaps I'll edit them in when I have time  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:31 am
I was wondering if it might be possible to get this thread stickied since it is a help thread.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:22 pm
My book of choice is Happy Hooker.

I think I've said that in about 20 threads by this point. xp  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:17 am
o.O So many crochet choices!! ^^ I is happy now. (I've been crocheting alot to keep calm with school being so ungodly crazy atm..)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:29 am
ForestGreen
I was wondering if it might be possible to get this thread stickied since it is a help thread.
It would be nice to have a learn to crochet type thread stickied, so we don't get so many threads asking about learning. 3nodding  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Trekkette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:50 pm
Can this please be stickied? I'm going to be learning to crochet soon and I don't want to have to search for it again!  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games