Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raincrow

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:53 pm
This question has been eating at me: Do women have to wear dresses in the SCA? I'm a packaging tape fiend, as those who shared a dressing room with me during the last play I was in will testify--and, well, I just find mens clothing more to my tastes.

So? Women passing as men? Does it happen?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Sure does. That's the great thing about the 'creative' part of the name--it's true, and just about anything can go in the SCA. Generally I've only seen women with male personas for fighting, but I would see no reason for there to be a problem. smile  

Arithrel
Crew

Raincrow

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:44 pm
Arithrel
Sure does. That's the great thing about the 'creative' part of the name--it's true, and just about anything can go in the SCA. Generally I've only seen women with male personas for fighting, but I would see no reason for there to be a problem. smile

Huzzah! xd  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:13 pm
What about the flip side of that arrangement? Know of any males who play as females?  

Padmasana

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:07 pm
Padmasana
What about the flip side of that arrangement? Know of any males who play as females?

Not seriously, but I have seen some of my male friends dress in women's garb for short periods of time, usually at night at events while party hopping. It's certainly allowed, though, even if it's not common.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:14 am
I did see a few Blue Feathers hop around in it...and man, they're some pretty men. *nods sagely*

(Oh, and directed to the OP: Packing tape's really bad for long periods of time...do invest in a binder, darlin'. Your body will thank you.)  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Kinky Zombie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:08 am
    I was in mens clothing for a while in the SCA, since thats all my male friends could give me. They are totaly fine with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:58 am
I had to have the meaning of the blue feather explained to me the first time I encountered a basket of them.

Both my best girl friends prefer to dress in male garb. How accepted it is depends on the level of creative vs authentic players in your area. As long as you aren't claiming true authenticity, just fun in the spirit of anachronism, no one has any ground to stand on for giving you a hard time.

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250

O C T O x p o d

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:57 pm
Padmasana

I was at an event just the other day and talked to one!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:41 am
Padmasana

in my second shire, there was a guy who had a female persona...and it usually pissed me of...he looked better in a dress than i did *pouts*

xd i have a picture floating around somewhere of him dancing with his baby.  

Mrsbruhaha

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:48 pm
There are women playing women, women playing men, men playing women, men playing men. That's standard, of course, because many people join the SCA so they can be something that they're not in real life.

The fun part (and sometimes confusing) is when a person is dressed as their opposite gender, but playing their own gender. That is, a woman whose persona is a female cross-dresser, as opposed to a woman playing an actual man. (Or a man playing a male cross-dresser instead of playing a female.) Just try to learn discreetly and politely what someone's intention is. I've often been delighted to hear something like, "History is filled with people who concealed the gender of their bodies in order to live as the gender of their souls. I'm not a transsexual in my real life, but I think it's important that that side of history should be told." The folks who choose to do that are usually very cool to talk to, and often very thoughtful, and/or have something in their lives who is living trans; some try to honor those folks, and some try to better understand them, and some are working out their own feelings by sort of testing the waters before making a life choice.

But yes, absolutely, it's permitted, and often appreciated.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:56 pm
I can think of one of each gender who do it and do it well and they are awesome. They are treated as their persona's gender and no one bats an eye. But I'd like to make one point. They were both Tudor.
There are a few teenage girls I'd like to smack clear out of the society, not so much because they don't wear female garb, but because they wear a mediocre tunic and leggings, sometimes a tunic, leggings and a bodice (okay, that was my friend's girlfriend who pissed me off this weekend by tagging along to an event with him, half-assing her garb, and not really doing anything but hanging with him, and making him hang with her away from his other friends confused Gee, when I think about it that way, it explains why I was cross with her) or some such, and will give you a lengthy tirade about how you can't do anything in skirts and how much skirts suck if you suggest they get more authentic garb. I mean, most of the guys are wearing tunics long enough to be considered dresses! Get over it!
My point is, whatever you do, do it whole-heartedly and panache.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
Newcomers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items