Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
Is English really the place for "txt to tlk"?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kinthia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:38 pm
I was in my English class watching a power point presentation and I noticed something strange on about five of the slides. I noticed that when the girl who was presenting was saying the word "you" she was reading her slide that has the letter "U" for the word instead. Is it just me or does it seem like a presentation should not have that in it?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:09 pm
In a presentation? Absolutely not. It does seem weird to have that in a classroom setting, particularly an English class. It was like this one student that I was tutoring. He started to type his paper using "txt talk" and I had told him to type out his words (sad that you have to tell someone to do that :/ ), and then I had told him that he should use "for" and not "four". The icing on the cake was when he asked me how to spell it. "Txt talk" does not belong in the classroom at all.  

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

Kinthia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:54 pm
I'm so glad that I'm not alone on this. I wish my teacher didn't run out of rubrics. I would've said something about it. Though, I wouldn't have said anything directly to her. Shes too nice to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:35 am
One of my partners on a project last year in Anatomy did that with our slide show. I fixed it before we presented it.

But here are the two kickers:
1. She was in her second year at college.
2. Her major was education.

I cried a little bit on the inside. Poor little kids that she'll end up teaching... they'll be all types of ******** up. sweatdrop  

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

Kinthia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:36 pm
That does remind me, since my Stepdad goes to college, and works at one, he's told me some horror stories about how some of them can't type and the such. I feel bad for myself for when I go to college.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:30 pm
I know the feeling. This girl I know is going into education, with the intent to teach second grade or the likes.

The bad thing? Her grammar (or I should say, lack of, rather) is atrocious. She's getting them young, and that is bad. We think we have stuff to complain of now? I would hate to see what their English will be like.  

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

Nate McCloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:05 am
I once had to tutor a woman in AutoCAD...in fact, I think it was Fall of 2005. The woman dropped out of high school and didn't get her GED until age 30. She's loud, obnoxious...and don't even get me STARTED on her spelling.

I have to wonder how some of these people passed their spelling classes in elementary school.  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games