Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Pretty much all of us say we have no problem w/other beliefs Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

you and your pollwhore-ness... that's okay, I am too!
View Results

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:13 am
I'm sure all of us believe in our own beliefs and say we have no problem with other people having there's. I know I've always said that, and I know I always believed it too. Though for some reason it didn't really hit me until a week ago when I was in the hospital with my entire family for my memere and pepere (grandma and grandpa for those who don't know). My pepere was in really bad shape, and he was struggling to breathe. And my memere, who was admitted into the hospital the night before for congestive heart failure, had the nurses bring her in and connect their beds together so she could hold his hand and comfort him.
Now, my pepere has suffered from alzhiemers for a couple years now, and memere had always said the only time he was completely himself was when he was in church. A preist came in and eveyone started praying off a rosary, and even though my pepere wasn't even consious, you could see him mouthing the words along with them. And my memere the entire time kept hold of his hand and whispered how she loved him, what a darling husband and father he was, and how she wasn't going to be selfish if he was wanted in heaven.
I just stared at the scene before me and all a sudden it really clicked, as if I never realized it before... I am happy with everything I believe in and i find peace with it. And even though I knew it I never really knew it until then that other people feel the same way.
Felt like sharing.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:58 pm
there is no problem with other religions, even i have family whos christian...i just choose to be pagen...my sister thinks i am a devil...but let her think what she wants...i dont go around making fun of christians and jews because im not of their religion, well...the jew's noses are a bit big...but still....I find there being no wrong to respect other religions....ppl just cannot accept the fact that we all have our own belifes...but with other religions against each other we just end up with war....which is all a bunch of bullshit...arguing over such a deal...let them belive what they want...im living life free as a pagen and other should do the same for who they are and what they believe...  

Redwing~Shadow

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:13 am
One of the primary reasons why people enter into Neopaganism is out of dissatisfaction or disillusionment with their previous religion. This tends to breed a sort of disdain for their previous religion; in spite of the supposed tolerance of the greater Neopagan community, many individuals seem to have pretty strong disdain for their old religion, usually Christianity. That's too bad. Once you begin doing some comparative religion studies... or even just interacting with people of other faiths like you did Seira, it becomes difficult to hold onto that kind of disdain as all religions have threads in common and all human beings have things in common. People get spiritual meaningfulness in different ways. If they find Buddhism meaningful for them, great. If they find Judaism meaningful for them, great. 'Tis a personal thing, ya know?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:41 pm
I'm fine with Christianity up to a point and I hadn't realized it up until recently.

I watch my sister's kids during the day (the youngest is going to be 4 the 12th of December and the oldest turned 10 in September). I originally started watching them 3 years ago, 80 hours a week for two years. I took a year to work in food service and retail and now I'm back watching them about 35-40 hours a week, and interacting with them much more than their parents do.

When I started watching them during the day again, I was a bit shocked when my nephew, whose five, started singing a Christian song on the way home from the park. It disturbed me a good bit. He's my boy-o, you see. I taught him how to walk, helped him learn to talk (he was deaf for about a year and a half early on, so him and his little sister are about on the same speech level), I potty trained him and I've started to teach him how to ride a bike. We've gone on "hikes" in the woods. When I picked him up the other day from pre-school, he tugged at his teacher's skirt and said, "That's my Annie Jah -- She's my best friend".

I'm kinda scared about him (and his sisters) growing up to be Christian and it's not until my sister started going to church again that I had that fear. It hasn't been good to my family, in general. It's been a cause/source of crippling depression to several family members and friends of mine (including myself), that fear of screwing up and not being good enough, that one sin will condemn you for eternity, so you might as well sin a lot.
There might be something in the communion grape juice.

It's not the religion I hate, and hate is too strong of a word for it.

It's more of a fear. I'm scared he's going to grow up and find out that his Annie Jah is going to hell for being a witch and make a rift between us or drop out and away from my life because of it. I'm terrified that he'll grow up with that faith-based depression and blow his brains out like some older family members have done.

I'm fine with Christians in general. Really. Jesus was a good man, I believe, and I do bring examples of him up with the kids, like behavioral examples, but I do that with other characters too. "If Jesus could share a basket of bread and fish with a crowd, can you let Gracie have one of your animal cracker's, Ben?"
It's just when it's my family that I really care. But that's my worriers heart. sweatdrop  

Jezehbelle

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:52 pm
Personally, I don't really have any problems with other faiths, up until they start causing harm to others. As much as I know that most of the people are not representatives of the said faith, it leads to me ferret out little flaws.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from thinking that other faiths can be completely stupid, like the Raelians, Scientologists or the Unifications Churchies (main exception in the last case, as they're still kinda a cult). I'll laugh at them, but I won't hate them.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:20 pm
I'm actually very good with other faiths.

I get along well with Christians despite being a former Christian (and they tend to go after apostates with greater fevor then they do for people who have never been Christian).  

PoeticVengeance

Kakure Basho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:09 pm
Seira Relur
I'm sure all of us believe in our own beliefs and say we have no problem with other people having there's. I know I've always said that, and I know I always believed it too. Though for some reason it didn't really hit me until a week ago when I was in the hospital with my entire family for my memere and pepere (grandma and grandpa for those who don't know). My pepere was in really bad shape, and he was struggling to breathe. And my memere, who was admitted into the hospital the night before for congestive heart failure, had the nurses bring her in and connect their beds together so she could hold his hand and comfort him.
Now, my pepere has suffered from alzhiemers for a couple years now, and memere had always said the only time he was completely himself was when he was in church. A preist came in and eveyone started praying off a rosary, and even though my pepere wasn't even consious, you could see him mouthing the words along with them. And my memere the entire time kept hold of his hand and whispered how she loved him, what a darling husband and father he was, and how she wasn't going to be selfish if he was wanted in heaven.
I just stared at the scene before me and all a sudden it really clicked, as if I never realized it before... I am happy with everything I believe in and i find peace with it. And even though I knew it I never really knew it until then that other people feel the same way.
Felt like sharing.

That is a very nice story. Very touching. And I have to agree with you. I don't have a problem with other religions, either, and I feel very comfortable where Im at. Thank you for sharing your story, though. It was very nice of you to do.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:01 pm
I don't have a problem with anything unless it's harmful like someone else had said as well. Though some things I think are kinda ridiculous. I hold my right to an opinion. Lol.  

Aiste Spirit

YuYevon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:21 am
It's great that you realized that. ;3
On the surface, I don't have much against other paths and religions. But then again, there's little I know about many other spiritual paths.

I was raised as a Lutheran and I know little else about general Christianity other than that and Catholocism (taught in my Catholic school).
I have an great dislike of Christianity. It's not the people, exactly, but whenever I meet someone new (especially those I'd like to be friends w/), when they tell me they're a Christian, I actually pull back. So my dislike of that path has a hold on how I view the people.

-YuYevon  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:38 am
I have no problem with other religions, as long as they have no problem with mine....Once someone starts preaching their religion as they only TRUE one, and that I should switch to it, blah blah blah...then I have a problem for sure....  

Tianta

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:57 pm
Very recently, a friend of mine had mentioned that her father was on a "God kick" again, and was going to be taking them to Church every Sunday. She was, it seemed, complaining about this fact.
My initial reaction was to tell her that, while built in the name of God, a Church is a Place of Worship, and it really doesn't matter who you are worshipping while you're there.
I told her that she should go, and spend some time in a Church. Instead of praying to God, she could pray to whom she believes in, and use the time to meditate, and feel at peace.

I have no problem with any religions. I was born a Pagan, and so I never built up that disdain of a previous Religion.
I have Christian and Roman-Catholic family members, and some of the best friends I have are Christians in Europe.
I also have a very ecclectic group of friends from other Religions. Including two or three LaVeyan Satanists. So I know quite a bit, about quite a few Religions.

I am not against any Religion, nor any Race. I am not against any Beliefs, nor lack of Faith. Everyone is fine with me. As long as I am fine with them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:52 pm
I had to think about this for a while before posting. I think I really don't mind other religious beliefs. I think the only real problem I have is when someone insists that theirs is the only real and true path. I'm sorry but I as far as I'm concerned there is no one true an right path. I choose the path that I'm on because it's the one I most agree with... or agrees with me... or something like that...  

MsAmberly

PoeticVengeance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:57 pm
AmyFry
I had to think about this for a while before posting. I think I really don't mind other religious beliefs. I think the only real problem I have is when someone insists that theirs is the only real and true path. I'm sorry but I as far as I'm concerned there is no one true an right path. I choose the path that I'm on because it's the one I most agree with... or agrees with me... or something like that...

That's why the Concept of the Suited Path is so nice. I wish more religions had that as a big part of them.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:16 pm
I'll be honest and say that I do have a problem with some religious beliefs. Religious beliefs that lead to biggots trying to force their views on others, religious views that degrade other people, label them abominations because of their life style or their beliefs, I don't like religious beliefs that cause harm, and I don't like religious belilefs that preach against birth control; sorry, but the whole abstinence thing really isn't working out... stare

That said, I have no problems with any specific religion; I have a few I'm uncomfortable with, but none that I can outright say I have issues with.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Redwing~Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:49 pm
Starlock
One of the primary reasons why people enter into Neopaganism is out of dissatisfaction or disillusionment with their previous religion. This tends to breed a sort of disdain for their previous religion; in spite of the supposed tolerance of the greater Neopagan community, many individuals seem to have pretty strong disdain for their old religion, usually Christianity. That's too bad. Once you begin doing some comparative religion studies... or even just interacting with people of other faiths like you did Seira, it becomes difficult to hold onto that kind of disdain as all religions have threads in common and all human beings have things in common. People get spiritual meaningfulness in different ways. If they find Buddhism meaningful for them, great. If they find Judaism meaningful for them, great. 'Tis a personal thing, ya know?

yes...it's all a matter of choice.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces