Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~
It's all about the hair Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like the new hair, or the old hair?
I'm okay with it
34%
 34%  [ 11 ]
It kind of bugs me too
31%
 31%  [ 10 ]
It doesn't take away from the story, so it's irrelevant
34%
 34%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 32

SaiBlackNight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:04 pm
I'll close my eyes...

I've noticed, after watching the Samarai X movies that Kenshin's hair changes. It starts off flat...and slowly but surely it gets really poofy. At first, I thought that maybe it has something to do with different artists. But I'm not quite sure about that anymore.

I like Kenshin now, but I liked him better when his hair was straight and flat.

Now that I think of it, maybe the hair has to do with the two sides of Kenshin. The flat hair goes with Battousai and the poofy hair goes with Kenshin. I'm not sure - it's just a theory.

So, does it bother anyone else that Kenshin's hair changed?

...and let the whole thing pass me by.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:22 pm
I haven't watched the movie....But, I have noticed in the manga...In the first book, his hair has loads of volume. But, as the series progresses, his hair grows flatter and flatter...Probably because Watsuki got more comfortable with drawing him? I don't know.  

Rune WolfHaven

TheIllustriousBlueJay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:28 am
that would be it  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:26 am
It seems that watsuki merely got lazier. I mean, think about all the effort tham must have gone into drawing hair that poofy for hundreds of panels per book...don't get me wrong, i think it looked better, but it's just an explanation.  

Bibliophillic

Aznka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:29 pm
I think it has something to do with history and different fashions in different time periods. Take Saitou for instance. His hair changed from long to short and awesome.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:38 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Kenshin's hair is "flat" during the Bakumatsu because he keeps it tied back in a tight topknot. It's "poofy" during his wandering years because he just wears it in a low ponytail.

It's interesting to watch how his hair progresses through the manga, from the 80s-style hair of the first few volumes to the cleaner more simplistic look of the Jinchuu Arc.

The only change Watsuki made that I hated was when he lopped off Kenshin's gorgeous ponytail. I mean jeez, by that time he only had a few pictures of Kenshin left to draw. Was he so lazy that he couldn't just keep drawing the ponytail a while longer?

Never mess with a bishounen's sex appeal!

Sessha wa rurouni, de gozaro yo.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

BananaPropaganda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:58 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
Kenshin's hair is "flat" during the Bakumatsu because he keeps it tied back in a tight topknot. It's "poofy" during his wandering years because he just wears it in a low ponytail.

It's interesting to watch how his hair progresses through the manga, from the 80s-style hair of the first few volumes to the cleaner more simplistic look of the Jinchuu Arc.

The only change Watsuki made that I hated was when he lopped off Kenshin's gorgeous ponytail. I mean jeez, by that time he only had a few pictures of Kenshin left to draw. Was he so lazy that he couldn't just keep drawing the ponytail a while longer?

gonk Oh, I just hated that! Why, why, why, Watsuki-sama?! -Ahem- Yeah, Kenshin definately isn't the same without his ponytail.
Anyway, besides just the hairstyle, it could be like some creative image. The poofier, more free hair makes Kenshin seem goofy and kind. Hair pulled up really tightly makes me personally think of a drill sargeant, so maybe it's to give him that Hitokiri/Gentle Rurouni contrast?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:21 pm
i agree but i think its a different person for samurai x and rurouni kenshin shows drawing them  

[~Sakura Hime~]

Safiya15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:01 am
Not only was it different artists, but the entire feel of Samurai X was different- dark, sad, depressing... and Kenshin and the others were drawn a bit more real like, so his hair wasn't... volumized!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:43 pm
Toklata
Yami no Hitokiri

gonk Oh, I just hated that! Why, why, why, Watsuki-sama?! -Ahem- Yeah, Kenshin definately isn't the same without his ponytail.
Anyway, besides just the hairstyle, it could be like some creative image. The poofier, more free hair makes Kenshin seem goofy and kind. Hair pulled up really tightly makes me personally think of a drill sargeant, so maybe it's to give him that Hitokiri/Gentle Rurouni contrast?

I agree. I think that it has to do with the 'goofy' vs seriouse.  

SaiBlackNight

Fide et Amore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:49 am
I actually love kenshin's hair in vol. 28, it's so pretty.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:06 pm
the flat hair is totally awesome when he's battousai but i like the poofy hair on the rurouni side of kenshin, kinda symbolizes his personality heh ionno i kinda like the poofy hair more  

samuraichikX

Lady Boleyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:10 pm
In the Manga, his hair never changes until the the end when he's older, has a child and a wife, and his ever-famous pony tail gets cut off. But I can see your point in the movies in shows. It might have something to do with when he is battousai and when he is rurouni.
My particular take on it is that maybe he just got more stressed when he realized what he was doing was wrong. lols. Kinda joking, but just a thought.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 pm
The thing that bothered me was his hair color change from dark maroon reddish red to orangey-red (( and I'm talking about the OVA)) but I guess that's to show that he has aged...

Lol,the the beginning of the manga its so poofy....but I like it like that T-T
AND WHY DID HIS PRETTY RED PONYTAIL HAD TO GET CUT OFF????!!!

I loved that ponytail very much you know crying

BunnyCupCakes

SilentNinjaFox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:03 pm
Watsuki said in the last manga that he had wanted to experiment with Kenshin's hair being short. I like his hair from the OVA, it's so pretty...  
~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff