Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BubbleGum_Rain

3,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:42 pm
I don't know about the rest of the world, but in my town, specifically my school, I'm wondering....

We used to have a whole group of kids that were clearly goth, and proud of it. The typical clothing, hair and make up styles that were both outrageous and intriguing...

But this year, as I dressed up as a bit of an exaggerated goth for Halloween and got many disgusted stares and hurtfully humiliating comments hissed in my direction, I wondered how long it had been for these students. Was seeing a goth all that appalling? All that unusual to them?

In my school, the 'out there' goth has disappeared (I'm sure we have a few that are just keeping things low profile) and I'm wondering if this is happening everywhere.

Are goths an endangered species? gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:17 pm
I think it depends on the region. When I was living in the US, I didn't see very many. 'Real' goths in upstate New York seem very rare and the younger ones are attracted more to the mall scene. Hawaii never had many to start with. And when I was in southern California for a while, I didn't see a single one.

But they're alive and well in England. I can't go a single day in my city centre without seeing at least one goth, and usually four or five. I don't just see people all in black with a few chains, either. I see long cloaks, frock coats, hanging sleeves, the whole Victorian schtick.

It makes me happy.  

Veruniel
Crew

ketchakik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:35 pm
were we ever NOT a dying breed? perhaps it comes from being part of a subculture?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:22 pm
To be honest, I used to never see them! But in recent times, I've seen them every so often in the last two schools (my current one included), so around here they can't be declining. Although, I should tell you, we've been moving more rural as the years pass. Technically, we're still suburban, but my current school is agricultural and near semi-rural areas. So, yeah. It could be that, weird as it sounds.  

littlewonder

Clash of Vision

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:28 pm
I think the gothic subculture should remain underground. Perhaps the fewer the better, so to say. Oh, and the more diverse the better, too. domokun  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:38 pm
Were we ever a "breed"?

Crikey, there's- wait.

Too soon?

-Isel-

Athiel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:28 am
Hm, I belive there's this whole quality/quantity -thing to it.
If more people copy the look, the original thoughts and ideals behind it lose their importance.
And nothing is more bitter than feasting your eyes upon people of gorgeous clothes/style, and then talking to them, only to find out that they wield the personality and wit of your average HIV-struck gerbil.

I don't think the "goth" culture will ever die out. And even if our numbers seem to dwindle, it just gives me a sort of "dying-era-decline-bubyee" -kind of feeling.
Like the Tolkien elves, only with better make-up.
Which is cozy, too!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:30 am
Athiel
Hm, I belive there's this whole quality/quantity -thing to it.
If more people copy the look, the original thoughts and ideals behind it lose their importance.
And nothing is more bitter than feasting your eyes upon people of gorgeous clothes/style, and then talking to them, only to find out that they wield the personality and wit of your average HIV-struck gerbil.

I don't think the "goth" culture will ever die out. And even if our numbers seem to dwindle, it just gives me a sort of "dying-era-decline-bubyee" -kind of feeling.
Like the Tolkien elves, only with better make-up.
Which is cozy, too!

3nodding heart  

Dragonfire Goddess

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:25 am
Goths aren't endangered at all. Just remember that you're in high school and there's a whole other world outside of it full to the brim with Goths.

Like Melbourne. You can't go to Melbourne without seeing at LEAST 25 of us strolling around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:53 am
The actual goth culture is really as strong as ever. It's been around for... what? 27, maybe 28 years now?

The number of legitimate goths has never really gone down; it's either stayed the same or gotten larger. The reason that goths seem to be "dissappearing" is that mallgoth fashions are falling out of popularity. In 2003 and 2004, mallgoth fashion was very popular, but since, is being replaced by mallcore-emo fashion. Because of this, when walking down a city street for example, in 2003, you'd see maybe 20 mallgoths and maybe 3 goths. Today, you'll probably only see about 5-10 mallgoth, but the same 3 goths will be there.

Also, as others have said, region will affect things. Big cities in general tend to have more goths, and the goth scene as a whole is at it's biggest in the UK.  

GilAskan
Crew

Dante Omura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:59 am
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

Rap went mainstream and made a lot of wannabe ghetto people ((Wiggers)) and if Goth music and its style gets thrown into mainstream there is a high possibility that Mall goths will over run us.

Light Is My Deaths Curse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:19 am
I can tell you Goth is alive and well in my city ^___^  

Lady Detarra

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:42 am
The Vampire Ruler
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

Rap went mainstream and made a lot of wannabe ghetto people ((Wiggers)) and if Goth music and its style gets thrown into mainstream there is a high possibility that Mall goths will over run us.

Light Is My Deaths Curse

Mallgoths already are overrunning us. Though, they don't listen to goth-rock.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:27 am
ummm not at my school tho i think it just depends on where u r.  

II Tokio II

Cool Gaian

Dirzdra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:10 pm
Not here, anyways. I live in a suburb, but I live in the fastest growing city in my county and 2nd or 3rd fastest growing in California. I don't care who knows. So, there's about 6 high schools, and over 3000 kids attend mine. It's a very large, but diverse school. There are too many emo's here, at least of the ones I don't like and kinda sorta fit the stereotype. Some are still cool people at heart. Same thing goes with the goths and wannabe's, too. Honestly, I don't care what anyone looks like as long as I get along with them and can have a fun time.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff